Poker tournament YOUTUBE videos

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never saw this video, I started playing in 2007. Gold is pretty funny. Eating a bowl of whatever it is, heads up, and talking so much. I don't know if they let you talk that much anymore, but it was awesome. Another thing I noticed is that he was wearing a bodog hat, which is the site I started on, and still play on (Bovada now)

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Q5s wasn't a bad shove, it was blind vs blind and he only had about 13bb's. The big blind is rarely going to have a hand good enough to call and those times they do you usually aren't a huge dog.

The K8s was definitely standard as well, only 9bb's chipstacks 15m and 200m lol, the sb/button range for shoving there is a lot worse than AJ in fact he's prob. shoving atc in that spot. What hand are you waiting for headsup being that big of a dog in chips with only 9bb's? Are you waiting to be forced all in with worse rags?

I agree the bluff Racener made was pretty bad. He didn't show any aggression until the river and considering the chipstacks I don't think he could have gotten Duhamel to fold any hand that was better.

Last edited:
Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might be the craziest hand I’ve ever seen.
What would possess him to fold?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueTulcI81AY
This hand isn't crazy at all, and the You Tube title "Monster Laydown" is highly misleading. It's a "monster" laydown to only fish, who marry big pocket pairs, and can't ever imagine turning one loose. That's what separates fish from players: a fish would have paid off that flopped underfull, then come to a forum like this one to whine about how he got coolered. Players never look at even pocket rockets as a "till death do us part" proposition, and are perfectly capable of laying it down if the situation warrants that fold.

Chan had pocket aces, and is looking at (J, J, 6) on the flop. This is a dangerous flop, as there are a lot of calling hands that include jacks: AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, J9. This isn't what you want to see when you have a big pocket pair. Furthermore, Chan had a line on his opponent's play, and figured he was beat. Sometimes, you can pinpoint specific reasons why your opponent is making a play, and sometimes you can't. I do that two/three times a session: "something" tells me that I can make that hero call or hero fold. Or i'll just know I can shove it all in on thin value, get a call, and be good. Still, I'm always paying attention to how the opposition is playing, and gathering information for future reference, whether consciously or subconsciously. This was a rather routine laydown AFAIC.

17 min mark, Ivey 3-bet AQ, and then folds getting over 2.5:1. He shouldn't have 3-bet if he was planning on folding, but it's worse to fold in that spot getting that price. There's almost no two cards you can fold.
What you're forgetting is that this occurred during a tournament close to the bubble. In situations like that, the chip value isn't just that of the denominations of the chips themselves, but what they're worth in terms of tournament winnings. Ivey wasn't planning on a 3-bet then fold here. He was looking to steal that pot uncontested. He failed. He figured the worth of future tournament winnings outweighed the nominal chip value, and decided to give up his bluff steal. This is the correct play for a tourney, though would rarely be correct in a cash game.

As in, you have AK and you keep betting into the pot hoping you get either an A or K. Odds are, you won't. In the end, a pair of 5's beats your useless AK hand. Once you learn this, maybe you limp in to see the flop, or stay in when it's head to head, but I don't keep betting into the pot hoping I get an A or K. (24% odds of hitting)
This is apropos to playing hot-and-cold. Yeah, I'll take a pair of fives every time for that. However, in actual poker play, it's much better to have (A,K) than (5,5). The odds are that you'll miss, and those are the same odds your opponent(s) miss. They don't know you missed, do they? You have a lot more flexibility with (A,K) than you do with (5,5). The latter hand has very little room for improvement, and even if the best, it will be going against flops with one or more overcards. Can you really be sure you're not up against a bigger pair? With (A,K) you can flop gut straight draws, a nut flush draw, a 2nd nut flush draw, and have overcards to the board. Combine those possibilities with pot odds, implied odds, and fold equity, and you have a more flexible holding with Big Slick than you do with a small pair that initially beats it.

Last edited:
F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Ivey probably isn't too concerned about people here calling his play weak, lol. Imho you can play the tag game and be somewhat successful but what do you do when you don't get the cards? Also, playing tight means that when you do get the cards you wont get the action. I am a newer player but I am finding that a lag style works better for me so long as I maintain fold dicipline and stay unpredictable. Math is great but noticing how people play in certain situations is also huge. There are so many ways to play poker that to think one style is the be all and end all is in my opinion just not a valid argument. Good luck.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably never getting called by a weaker hand and may be facing a bigger flush.