Poker profitable? Or not?

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While it is possible to be profitable at poker, the amount of work and also grinding to minimise variance makes playing poker to make money a waste of time for the vast majority of people. With that said, however, there is nothing wrong with playing poker recreationally, either to grind online poker for the sole purpose of improving (like in chess), or as a social game in live poker. Regardless, poker is more worth your time if you have some motivation to play other than just to make money.

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess that is possible, but requires a lot of time, a lot of practice, a lot of patience. if somebodey gets it then could be profitable

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I think you shouldn't consider the game of poker as a form of earning money, you can win as well as lose, there are ups and downs, play for fun and if you're lucky you can also earn

cathi1962

cathi1962

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing poker could be very profitable, but it takes a lot of waisted time and patience. The Poker Pro's walk away with a lot of money, so it is very possible to make a career out of it. I enjoy playing, but I have to limit myself by joining short games because I just don't have the patience and time! I have only won small amounts in tournaments, nothing to even brag about, and certainly not enough to go on a nice vacation with, but then again I play in the cheapest possible tourneys for fun, if I win, I count it as there is more money to lose now! :)

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never been profitable at poker but keep trying....

I think it's the beauty of playing cards at home in your under ware. I love it!!!!

:)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I have not really profitable. I usually paid 50 usd. but I'm losing end of the month. It was bigger prize you? If so write about it. Good luck for everyone;)

Poker = 100% profitable if you play better than your opponents

Poker = 100% unprofitable if you play much worse than your opponents

The rake will play a small factor to reduce your profitability which is why working on improving your skill edge (via studying and practicing) is so important in addition to game selection to ensure you have the highest expectation possible! :nurse:

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, there are people (according to my psychologist like me) who, for some reason, are constantly getting themselves into a situation where they end up clicking for hours, days, weeks, or years later, "why did I do this?", "I was stupid again ! "," I made bad decisions again! "

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Poker is profitable for me,but it is not so important. The main thing is to enjoy the game.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think if you put enough time into learning poker and put the effort to improve your game yeah definitely poker can be profitable ! but you gotta stay out of playing on tilt and while tired !

B

BiGBa40

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To make money you have to... have money 😂
I play for relax and fun, when i hit a good mtt spot to cash, the fun is double :)

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that money comes and goes. In my case, with poker, it just goes. But hey, at least I spend the time wasting chips and learning to play, or so I think ...:cool::cool:

E

emisalvo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, it is not very profitable, I play to entertain myself several times but in the long run the credit that I charge is always greater

Maekz1999

Maekz1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha.. Based on your skill. For me it is entertainment. I loose. So anyone else win. Guess he is the profitable one then.. Hehe :)

komar125

komar125

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course it is. If you are patient, hardworking, you will feel the benefits of playing poker for sure

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot win crap. Even though in a year and a half I have had 3 or 4 first place finishes on cardschat on pokerstars daily freerolls alone, I seem to fall apart everywhere else. I did get a cool sweater shipped to me once from full tilt a number of years back. It looked real nice but I lost it somewhere. I have never seen anyone else wearing one. My only win really

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker = 100% profitable if you play better than your opponents

Poker = 100% unprofitable if you play much worse than your opponents
Well, if you're evenly matched with your opponents you would lose to rake, right? So to be a winning player you need to have a significant enough of an edge against your opponents to offset the effect of the rake.
The rake will play a small factor to reduce your profitability
I don't think it's that small of a factor, especially in the micros. Let's say you're playing 6-max and the average pot size if 15BB. That's 1500BB/100. With a 5% rake the rake collected would 75BB/100. That's 12.5BB/100 per player.

There's a cap on the rake, but in the micros the cap is pretty much never met and at higher stakes only in larger pots. So maybe the effective rake goes down to 3%. That's still 7.5BB/100 in rake paid per player.
which is why working on improving your skill edge (via studying and practicing) is so important in addition to game selection to ensure you have the highest expectation possible! :nurse:
Yes.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends in the same way on the player and the type of game in which he is playing because it is not always won, profitable is when the player dedicates his full time to practicing and improving every day but when it comes to professionals who do not dedicate time to playing then would not become profitable

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know, Its of course may be profitable if you play much. But you must improve your mind too. Ok, you know strategy and tactik of poker, you strong player, but wthat will be do with kullers and bad beats and downstreak?! Its very important not to go in tilt very long time. And may be if you able to do a pause after tilt you can play again with your strongedt game and have some profit!)

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me poker is profitable but of course you have to study a lot but it can be profitable for sure and still but if you want to profit without spending anything just your time try to join a poker team they will bank you and you will win 30 to 50% of your profit

MsUniverse

MsUniverse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, profitable if you do any of your actions correctly, if you are used to making mistakes you will lose money

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it's profitable, with the right amount of skill and luck long term the results will come. Short term you may have huge swings but you have to look at it from the long haul. Like anything else it takes a ton of hard work and dedication. It's a grind.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I haven’t lost as much as people think I’ve lost. Soooooo shows what they know. :cool:

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At micro limits, they get into play with everything and are much harder to play after the flop. Since 4-5 players are watching the flop, and there I have already mentioned I have a better chance of getting better. Besides all this, there is no logic in their game therefore, reading them, in most cases, is not possible.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn’t play during the day yesterday, only in the evening because guests came to us and were here all day. There may not be a game today either, but I will try to smuggle 1-2 sessions into today's program.