Poker profitable? Or not?

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its take some time to be profitable and a lot of study,i started whit 30$ on poker stars,now i play only in 888 poker, now i get about 300$/month,its not much but i ll try to do more in few years ,but you must love this game,not play becouse of money!i suggest new players to play only mtt not cash games ,there is to hard to get money,just my opinion!
So yea poker is profitable if u use your head and controll emotions!but dont be greedy.... :cool: :)

Hi There
Fully agree with you Nothing in this life is instantaneous (excpet lottery and ilegal things but even them) You must like ti work hard and some luck too
Rgds

magik9118

magik9118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me ,every month is différent some of them im positive and the others i loose all the previous wining...to much variance online compair To real game i think!!

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, I have not really profitable. I usually paid 50 usd. but I'm losing end of the month. It was bigger prize you? If so write about it. Good luck for everyone;)

Of course poker can be profitable. But it depends on your level. If you really want to have profit, you can do it. You have to spend a looooot of time studying poker. Hey, look at the professionals. Why can't you become one of them? :D

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. The key with much of poker is being patient. You have to play consistently and get pretty good before I would suggest playing for money all the time vs doing freerolls. I think too many people try to rush into making money or even trying to become a pro and they find out the hard way they aren’t as good as they thought which is really discouraging but it doesn’t mean you aren’t good and can’t make money you just have to do it the right way which is different for everybody.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, however, I feel a bit in crisis. I'm not going down but not up. I feel like I am on a fantastic roller coaster and sit in a session, go for a while, I jump, I bring my game, I bring 1-2 BI plus. Then comes a series that breaks everything in the big pots, and I come out at 0 or below ... As a result, I feel like I was bravo, I was good at playing again for 2 hours for nothing

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't win money, it's so sad. I also lose time and blood circulation. But I do gain the satisfaction of knowing I am donating to a worthy cause like Americas Cardroom. Good luck.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although I have no success stories playing online, poker can be profitable. One has to be willing to invest he time and have the discipline it requires to do well.

I enjoy playing the game and would usually stick to freerolls and micro tourneys. As long as you are having fun and not investing money that you cannot afford to loose - enjoy the experience.

A

Aiur128

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you can win a larger sum at a lucky moment, but to have a steady income you have to train a lot and make poker a part of work and life

W

WarBabyBunz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is, it is great to finish in the money. I will still keep my day job.

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play poker for fun not to make a lot of money

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You need to build your level of skill to have any chance.
Otherwise you are making a donation to those who the skills needed.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker was not too productive, and my own goals were not as I planned. The main reason for this was that at the beginning of the month I sat down to negotiate with the boss and divorced our trips, so my work was practically last Friday. That brought more stress and more work than I thought, so I didn't think the game had gone and I couldn't play enough.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if only 5% make money; then do the rest just love poker enough to accept losing their money?

Or maybe it's the dream of hitting a good tourney?

I think variance explains a lot of why a lot of people play. Variance is huge in poker. And that does several things.

First, a lot of those 95% that lose in the long run can win in the short run. So that keeps them playing.

Second, when they do start losing, the can remember when they had a lucky streak, and they think they can get back to that. Or alternatively, they can think about some of the bad beats they had and just blame their losses on bad luck. So again, they keep playing.

Variance is a lot of what keeps people playing, in my opinion.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The plans for the future that I think this month after Luigi's BRM article I think I'm going to learn a little bit. I would normally read videos and articles. While on the PS I now beat the field level on bodog, but it would be great if I strengthened myself because I'm afraid that there might be little in other rooms.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These backing groups are good if they are not sure to make those who are trying to prosper alone. It is not a simple business to start with, nowadays, I feel that spin is too insidious compared to hyper hu, even if the foals are pushed on a small bet, these groups do not even have a room where they would not be. was a gold mine in the sense that all the limits of fishel were full but then quickly realized some people and the backingers did not want to spin on my main profile just interested

B

bronson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahh yes, the old arch nemesis Variance. Seems he raises his head at every table lately...

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One and a half to two hours a day (I try to push it for 3 hours) and I plan to analyze about 1 hour. If you no longer have access to the analysis, you can review the week in the weekend, especially the marked hands. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
The starting time is 21:00 at the latest. I still have plenty of room to wake up at 6 am before I go to work. I'm not a big sleeper, but everyone needs to regenerate.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have long been obsessed with the idea that "this is poker, variance is natural, EV only matters", I burned it so much that the parts responsible for the excitement almost burned out in my brain, I am not happy and do not regret the natural variance. Only non-natural disorder. Now, the swings themselves are not disturbing, but I have no explanation for them, and I have no idea about the edge of my hand even after that hand. It's frustrating.

F

flamerozzy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well...

it is profitable for the top players, and not for the fish (like me :D:D:D)

T

TonioArmani

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
waiting to be legal & Rake free

first u hav to enjoy d game. Thats d reason I played it early 2000s. Then of course you want to make some money. I took it seriously played SnGs day & night and realized I was winning at 55-60% rate. Not profitable because of d rake. So I stopped.
Now with recent law changes & tech trends Im excited again. Looks like online poker gonna be legalized in d USA soon + crypto technology will allow online poker sites to operate with low to no rake. Once those happen which I hope soon, I will be playing more! Yes im confident it will be profitable. Just need to find ur level of competition!:D:D:D

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure it is, you just have to have guts for it :)

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Poker is profitable but only for those who deal seriously with it. Unable to start playing and expect big profits. It takes a lot of patience and learning practice. So think about whether you want to play for fun or for profit.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now I really hope that luck will really come to us because I will continue my deep flight: s_cry: right now - I fell for $ 29 but it didn't fall well :) And now I have not banned, I had no fools, just simply cracked and ready.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am thinking of finding a plan that can motivate me so much that I can take it seriously to deal with poker. I am thinking of dreaming of a sports car that I am going to collect and that would be financed by poker money. It would be kind of challenging for myself. So I have to find this.
My childhood dream was a Mitsubushi Eclipse 2 GEN, but I already have one :) So I have to figure out something more serious. I am still thinking about this, but I think this will be the right direction.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do not want to spend your money on poker, then play the freerolls, and then use the money that you won in paid tournaments. And then, perhaps, you will manage to win something big. I personally do it.