Poker and mathematics

A

adricarlan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mat and head

Both really necessary in poker, hand in hand, reading your probabilities and your opponents are he key to achieve success

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math is needed in poker because of those probabilities and stat. Likewise have to calculate pot odds at some point. Just basic math is actually needed.

And there is the psychology part, where you have to play the people.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Through mathematics can calculate the probability of luck.

Zupek

Zupek

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on games u are playing. Mainly u use mathemathic to calculate the odds etc.

But its important to understand the mathemathical game theories, for example when u are using some helping programs like Holdem Manager 2, you need to understand which figure is what representing.

Y

YorgDC

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all in the math's! Get emotional, get lost.

B

baklagan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a combination of math, psychology and luck. Into the online poker you use more math and luck, but into the live tournaments math and spychology.

T

TheArnie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you read ''Poker math that matters'' by Owen Gaines, it helped me to grasp many basic concepts of poker math and I re-read it time by time.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In our circle we have a saying, poker is a game of skill, luck and mindset. The skill is the math, the psychology, the strategic work. The luck well that speaks for itself. And the mindset, which is the beliefs one has in their game and abilities. Its the attitude you bring to the table and the way you handle the ups and the downs. This is what makes the difference between a very good player and a great. How much of each of these make up the game is debatable and I tend to think it varies person to person based on where they are in their competency.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really think its becoming more and more a math game, look at the high stakes where most of those guys are playing GTO (game theory optimal)

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to know your probabilities and pot odds. These are usually easy to make a rough estimation. There is no way around it.