E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use the 1 in 8 rule for setmining

Are there any other pre-flop percentages that you try to workout (straight/flush draws)? For set mining, does the 1 in 8 rule just give you the 12.5% that you compare against the pot odds?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use the 1 in 8 rule for setmining.
For setmining, you should go higher than 1 in 8 as a buffer. 1 in 20 is decent.

The buffer covers situations where you either:

-hit a set and don't get paid off
-hit a set and still lose.

There is also the 5/10 rule for setmining. If the bet is:

-5% or less than the effective stacks, setmine.
-10% or more, don't.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker needs first psycology, maths and luck. Maths is from the basic. Watch possibilities and numbers!

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For setmining, you should go higher than 1 in 8 as a buffer. 1 in 20 is decent.

The buffer covers situations where you either:

-hit a set and don't get paid off
-hit a set and still lose.

There is also the 5/10 rule for setmining. If the bet is:

-5% or less than the effective stacks, setmine.
-10% or more, don't.

Thanks for explaining the 5/10 rule. Does the same methodology apply to the 1/20 rule? 1% or less mine, 20% or more don't?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker needs first psycology, maths and luck. Maths is from the basic. Watch possibilities and numbers!

Do you recommend any books for the psyc of poker, or is it learned at the table? What are some of the math basics that you apply?

M

mu55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The math that I use with ease about the odds is the 4/2 rule counting outs, and some standard odds that you get to learn as you play, for example on what situations you roughly flip a coin etc.

K

Kaosrp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think is basically count the odds and chips, pay attention how many hands the others is playing. I don't so that is many different than online.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think is basically count the odds and chips, pay attention how many hands the others is playing. I don't so that is many different than online.

I'm not trying to be rude, but online and live is really different. With online, you have HUDs, databases that tracks every hand played, software to solve certain spots, you don't have to keep track of the pot since it's on screen, you can make perma notes on all players, you can have all of your charts and odds on screen, and no one will laugh if you use a calc. All of those things are limited or not existing in live.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-Keep track of who is in the hand.
-Keep track of the action. (Ask the dealer if you don't know)
-Round the numbers to make it easier. I like to go by 5's.
-Memorize common draws like OESDs, FDs, etc

So, if there is $44 in the pot and I'm facing a $29 bet and call, I'd round it to: $45 + $30 + $30 = $105. I have to call $30 to win $105.

Reviving this thread as I have an input.

First of all, I like your rounding off advice. However your math is wrong. That's why I am reviving to dispell unintentional bad advice. You don't add your bet you must call to the ratio of pot odds. There are ways of calculating EV that add your call to the total. But not pot odds.

I really like the rounding off. You keep at count on each street. I make a mental note of the pot. Watch bets or raises and multiply them by callers + the pot and add them up. The two totals can cause a conflict in your short term memory. I assign a letter to the pot. Like P20. It sticks better.

Forget about counting ratios like Pot 75 and 30 to call, 75:30 As was pointed out it's a massive tell you are drawing. You must memorize a table!

Speaking heads up:
If the raise is Pot. You need at least 33%
2/3 of pot, you need at least 28%
1/2 pot, you need at least 25%
1/3 pot, at least 16% (i think).

Best is to calculate it via imply odds. Multiply his bet by what you need. Minus the pot + his bet from the total. The difference you either must be able to get or otherwise fold.

Organize a Home Poker Game