• Start date
A

Archie Dos Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
Just decided to learn how to play poker the other day as I decided I wanted to get a new hobby. This hobby looks a lot of fun. Went through all the poker hands through wikipedia and understood them all except one. I was bit confused with the explanation of the straight hand. It's got
"A straight is a poker hand containing five cards of sequential rank, not all of the same suit, such as 7♣ 6♠ 5♠ 4♥ 3♥ (a "seven-high straight"). It ranks below a flush and above three of a kind. As part of a straight, an ace can rank either above a king or below a two, depending on the rules of the game. Under high rules, an ace can rank either high (e.g. A♦ K♣ Q♣ J♦ 10♠ is an ace-high straight) or low (e.g. 5♣ 4♦ 3♥ 2♥ A♠ is a five-high straight), but the ace cannot rank both high and low in the same hand (e.g. Q♠ K♠ A♣ 2♥ 3♦ is an ace-high high-card hand, not a straight).
The underlined part is what I am confused about. I understand an A♣ can be a high or a low depending on the rules of the game. Q♠ K♠ A♣ 2♥ 3♦ is an ace high card so the ranking would be A♣K♠Q♠3♦2♥. If the ace was ranked as a low for the rules then it would be K♠Q♠3♦2♥A♣. Why is it saying on wikipedia it is not a straight? It says on wikipedia "but the ace cannot rank both high and low in the same hand" What does that mean? Thanks for any information. Archie :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands