Poker Books (Math)

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot of social psychology involved as well. You must be willing to exploit bad players to increase your win-rate.

This is especially true for tournaments. In tournaments it's already needed to get "lucky" in order to win, but it's even more important to even luck spots - even if you're ahead. It's true that math also implies the rules on bluffing, but it doesn't tell you anything about how to exploit calling stations and isolation of weaker players.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strange question. Does anyone doubt that in poker the main thing is math and logic. For whom this post. Are there people who doubt it?
However, we must not forget that many cards have an advantage only at a distance of a large number of tournaments.

N

Nathaniel1976

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to know the name of the book, sounds good.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars have an online poker school... Free and they talk about the 2 4 rule or the 2 2 rule depending how you look at it apparently I skipped probably the best part of the explanation lol

[emoji16] Stop when the fun stops or when schools out [emoji33]

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the math is: you put your opponent on a hand, calculate his odds, calculate the betsize to give him THAT bad pot odds, that he cannot make the call.... and your opponent might calculate...oh, he gave me bad pot odds, he wants me to fold, so I will call!!!
It's not ALL about the math, but math makes it exponentially more interesting :)

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never been a fan of the 4/2 rule simply because it is incorrect and doesn't give true statistics. Having always been a horse-backing person I prefer to work in odds. Everybody knows the odds on a flush dtaw on the turn with two hole cards and two flop cards all the same suit with 9 outs is 4/1 on the turn and 4/1 on the river (rounded). You say that with 9 outs you multiply this by 4 and arrive at 36 percent. Now 36 percent equates to 2.8/1. The turn and the river are mutually exclusive instances and need to be calculated individually. It is statistical nonsense to lump them together and say the odds of a flush are 36%.. Best forget about this rule.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know the name off the book,but that is the way to estimate your odds for winning a hand.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting stuff here. Good to learn evryday.

S

Stormforge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been looking for some good books to read. Thanks to those who mentioned titles.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently in the middle of the Essential Poker Math course by Alton Hardin. I'll read the book after. I definitely have a good feel for poker math but it's good to know exactly what the numbers.

jrutledge

jrutledge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What’s the best book/source to learn the fundamental mathematic principles?

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard the authoritative book is supposed to be Bill Chen's The Mathematics of Poker but it's supposed to be a very dense read.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The longer I play, the more I learn something new for myself. Thank you poker!:star:

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome to our community.
Unfortunately, I did not read this book.
But this year I read a book that was very useful to me.
Title of this book: "The Mental Game of Poker" Jared Tendler.

I'm reading it now. Frustrating so far, this book annoys me instead of motivation. :( That's bad.

P

Procli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone found any good books they recomend about Poker Math? Im not good at this subject.. actually horrible!!!

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Maybe this book Roy Rounder "Easy poker math"? Anyway, I thought it was very good.