poker book

rayvon30

rayvon30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So am new to poker and I would like to buy a book to sharpen my game up and was hoping someone could recommend one here.

I played many years ago and loved it but from what I remember I wasnt any good. after watching poker on twitch I have got back into it and am starting to get my love back for it.

Thanks guys

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So am new to poker and I would like to buy a book to sharpen my game up and was hoping someone could recommend one here.

I played many years ago and loved it but from what I remember I wasnt any good. after watching poker on twitch I have got back into it and am starting to get my love back for it.

Thanks guys

Hi Rayvon, welcome to the Cardschat community! This site is in itself a great resource for enhancing your poker game, there are so many helpful threads on here for players of all ability levels, just have a bit of a browse! But if you're determined to go "old school" (ain't no school like the old school!) then Theory Of Poker by David Sklansky is a good starting point and Harrington On Hold'em (volumes 1 & 2) will give you more in-depth tactical advice specifically for No Limit Hold'em tournaments. Enjoy Cardschat and good luck at the tables!

rayvon30

rayvon30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Rayvon, welcome to the Cardschat community! This site is in itself a great resource for enhancing your poker game, there are so many helpful threads on here for players of all ability levels, just have a bit of a browse! But if you're determined to go "old school" (ain't no school like the old school!) then Theory Of Poker by David Sklansky is a good starting point and Harrington On Hold'em (volumes 1 & 2) will give you more in-depth tactical advice specifically for No Limit Hold'em tournaments. Enjoy Cardschat and good luck at the tables!

ldw22

Thank you very much for the reply man I will look into David Sklansky books. I have enjoyed reading many posts on here, am just finding my feet regarding the site etc but from what iv seen so far, I am very happy that I found cardchat.

Thanks again lwd22

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ldw22

Thank you very much for the reply man I will look into David Sklansky books. I have enjoyed reading many posts on here, am just finding my feet regarding the site etc but from what iv seen so far, I am very happy that I found cardchat.

Thanks again lwd22

You're very welcome, happy reading! Quick bit of advice: Get yourself stuck into the forums here on Cardschat and post 25 quality posts asap, so that you can play in the Friday freerolls (in addition to the Saturday ones that all members can play). From personal experience, the Friday freerolls have a much higher average skill level among the players, than many other freerolls I've played over the years. There's nothing better to help improve your game, than to play against skillful opponents. All the best!

rayvon30

rayvon30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You're very welcome, happy reading! Quick bit of advice: Get yourself stuck into the forums here on Cardschat and post 25 quality posts asap, so that you can play in the Friday freerolls (in addition to the Saturday ones that all members can play). From personal experience, the Friday freerolls have a much higher average skill level among the players, than many other freerolls I've played over the years. There's nothing better to help improve your game, than to play against skillful opponents. All the best!

Sounds like that really would improve my game man. I look forward to the rock star status like yourself :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks guys

It's been a while since I made this video and a few new All-Star books have hit the market

The New Supersystem - http://excellingatnolimitholdem.com/

Probably the Sharpest Thinker in Poker - https://www.amazon.ca/Play-Optimal-Poker-Practical-Theory-ebook/dp/B07SGGC53Q

The New Book by All Time Legend - https://www.amazon.ca/No-Limit-Hold-Advanced-Players-Emphasis/dp/1880685590

And my top 10 personal favorites https://www.gripsed.com/strategy/top-10-poker-books which includes a video that goes a little deeper into each book. Enjoy!!!

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be looking into Evan Jarvis' list although I've read a couple of them before. Most recently I'm into Poker Math That Matters and Hole Card Confessions by Owen Gaines, The Course by Ed Miller and The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. Also enjoyed How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold 'Em by Sam O'Connor. It's important to realize that reading books alone will not make you a better player. It's one tool out of many.

rayvon30

rayvon30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be looking into Evan Jarvis' list although I've read a couple of them before. Most recently I'm into Poker Math That Matters and Hole Card Confessions by Owen Gaines, The Course by Ed Miller and The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. Also enjoyed How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold 'Em by Sam O'Connor. It's important to realize that reading books alone will not make you a better player. It's one tool out of many.

Hi Charlie

Thank you for the recommendations pal. I totally agree with you about the books alone wont make me a great poker player but I think maybe as a person who's be away from the game for many years I thought I can sharpen my tools with some new info.

I played poker back in the day just for a bit of fun, but now I want to take it to the next level and I know its going to take some time. I am really enjoying poker at the moment and hope it continues. I will look into what you recommend and many thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my post.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks guys

It's good that you touched on this topic))) there Are many people who would like to read good books about the game, but perhaps hesitate to ask.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been a while since I made this video and a few new All-Star books have hit the market

The New Supersystem - http://excellingatnolimitholdem.com/

Probably the Sharpest Thinker in Poker - https://www.amazon.ca/Play-Optimal-Poker-Practical-Theory-ebook/dp/B07SGGC53Q

The New Book by All Time Legend - https://www.amazon.ca/No-Limit-Hold-Advanced-Players-Emphasis/dp/1880685590

And my top 10 personal favorites https://www.gripsed.com/strategy/top-10-poker-books which includes a video that goes a little deeper into each book. Enjoy!!!
thank you very much, I will definitely try to read everything (look through). Prices, of course, are interesting, but you can get them for free somewhere. It's time to find your library card)))

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Thanks for creating such a topic and commenters for the answers. Hopefully the books will help me improve my playing skills

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I would advise you to forget books and check around online, for how the modern game is played.
There is plenty of free stuff for you to build knowledge of the game.
Upswingpoker has a free positional starting hand chart, and for seven dollars how to play each hand category, post flop.
This is excellent stuff on which to build your game.
Tommy Angelo has some online posts that will teach you how to stay relaxed and deal with tilt. Have a look at this once you are happy you have mastered the basics.
If you build a tight image, then playing the other player's ranges will become easier. In their eyes when you open you will always have a good hand, when in fact many times you will be playing loose and stealing.
It's always good to remember you are playing against ranges and styles. rather than pocket v pocket.
I also suggest you invest in a HUD so as you can build knowledge on how your opponents play.

Last edited:
Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would strongly recommend Jonathan Little's Mastering Small Stakes No-Limit Holdem.

As the title suggests it focuses on beating the small stakes game, so the concepts are more straight forward but will help build a really solid foundation for playing good poker.