Pocket nines versus Ace King off suit

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, that the pocket AK cards on the pre-flop are better, than 99.
1. Pocket pairs 99 lose to any higher pair, and the chance to collect a set is too small.
2. 99 have only 2 outs; AK - 6 outs.

If judge by the odds, the pocket cards 99 win on the pre-flop.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which do you think is the better preflop hand at a full table sitting in Middle position

I probably take the pocket nines because as much as AK has just as much value to nines, pocket nines has a chance to win during a showdown.

Statistically during preflop pocket pairs from 2 to 10 have a small edge over two over cards, however that is only when knowing what kind of hand your opponents have.

Even though I would take 9s, you have to be extremely cautious of what cards comes on the board because any cards over 9, you are considered a serious underdog to win the hand.

As well don't forget about the possibility of your opponent holding a bigger pocket pair, its hard to detect that but my advice is always preceed with caution as being too aggressive can lead to an early exit in a tournament.

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think preflop AK offsuit loses to every pocket pair very slightly. Its pretty much a 50/50 as far as I know tho. I would rather have AK with more people in the hand

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 pocket pre-flop is the best hand than AK. Post flop can change everything. More chances to win the AK.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Which do you think is the better preflop hand at a full table sitting in Middle position

99 This is an excellent hand in any position against AK. I would say that any pair is better than AK preflop. But you will not begin to worry if you see ten jacks or a lady on the flop?

What's the question? :) Catch 9 on the flop and boldly go all in :)

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket nines have better edge on an AK, let's think a bit, you have 99 and he has AK (in pre flop), there are still 48 cards left on the deck, and 6 of those cards will give him the better hand, and the other 42 will guarantee a win for pocket nines (discarding the chanes of a straight or two pair made on the table, which is a very small chance). So pocket pair is always ahead of two overcards, then it's profitable in the long run, but in the short term anything can happen.

jomaaan

jomaaan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop all-in 99 wins from AK.

When it is not an all-in preflop 99 is hard to play and that is why its not that good. When there are 2 overcards on the board you cant just keep betting with ur 99 and hope it is the best hand.

Because you wil almost never know if you have the best hand it is hard to get value from 99. And this is where AK is much better.

psyho26

psyho26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any pocket pair looks more confident against AK

C

Click400

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistically speaking the pair before the flop has a slightly more favorable percentage, but anything can happen in the Poker.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Pre Flop 99 is a better hand. After the Flop depends on cards. :9c4::9d4:

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a very strong hand, which, however, often loses. Loses because with active preflop action remains against a narrow range of hands, in which a significant part - pairs, and any pair, has the advantage against unpaired overcards.

G

Glebtyzhnyh90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would prefer uniquely AK, it's easier to play with them than with 99, although on the flop if 9 falls and A then the situation changes to the root

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously 99 is the better hand because you have a pair in your hand at the worst.

AK offsuit is losing to any pair heads up pre-flop so the pair is the hand you always want to have if you can induce a call from a singular opponent with AK.

S

slickster37

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And , When you got pocket 9's... It's like a dream come true when you flop 9 A K ...Sweet Jesus! Show me the money ..Unless you get a river a or k suck-out...:eek:

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99 is better beacause you have made already a pair

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelent

Twice I had 99 vs the other guys AK in cash $ 1/2, once I caught the A9K rainbow flop and not improved for him, I won, and second time I lost on 99 vs AK, he got AAAA. Unlucky me.

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, for me AK is better. I don't really like those middle pocket pairs. I don't feel safety with them at all. Maybe I'm very wrong with that and someday I'll change my mind.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This depends on the table. If it's fairly tight and I can generally get heads up against 1 player, then I prefer the 99. However, if I'm getting 2-3 callers, I'd rather have the AK than 99. This is because there is very likely to be 1 or more high cards on the flop and that will make 99 difficult to play against a few players, unless of course you hit a set.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I think I am going to have a multiway pot, I prefer the 99. Otherwise I might lean toward AK.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always like having an already made hand to start with.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is easier to play post-flop and is less likely to be dominated to a reshove preflop like 99 is. I'd take AK from MP.