Pocket JJ pre flop

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only you have such a problem. I often lose with them. For example, I played in a tournament yesterday. I have a 10bb stack, and an opponent has 20bb. I have jj and he has A4o. I'm going to all in. He calls. And Aсе immediately flopped. I didn’t even catch the set. With such cards it’s better not to go all in. You need to at least see the flop
When you're down to 10bb you should be shoving all in with a ton of hands including many that are weaker than jacks. Pretty much If you can play it you should shove it when you're that short stacked. You caught a bad run out and list but that happens. You made the right call and because your opponent decided to call you with his A4o. He gave you a good odds to possibly double up as the jacks will win roughly 7 out of 10 times against A4o. Try not to get too fixated on the results just keep making the right plays and eventually things will likely fall your way

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys just wanting advice on best way to play pocket JJ i find myself alway shoving as can’t figure best way to get value with them .
Don't shove jacks unless youre around 25bb or less. Any other time you're just asking for trouble. You got to think about how many hand combinations worse than jacks are your opponents likely to call your all in with. The exact number is very situationally specific but in general the answer

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is not a bad starting card, but it can be very difficult to get into a difficult position if you find a higher card on the flop.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a good hand. You choose the size of the preflop raise. If high cards appear on the flop, you need to be extremely careful.

I agree. Even if no higher cards hit the flop though, I will still often c-bet for protection. Just because a higher card hits the Turn or River, that does not necessarily mean your opponent(s) have paired it. I agree though: one has to be careful with this hand, but it is still a solid hand to play aggressively.

With this said, I usually play it aggressively, but with caution. To balance my play, I will sometimes just flat call/limp and hope to a cheap flop to hit a set though. As many have stated, it really is situational and many times my decision is based greatly on how the table is playing.

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theres just one true about JJ and me.
When I get it... I lose.
When my oppont get it... I lose as well.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still very much on a steep learning curve playing low stakes SnG, and the concept I always bear in mind with JJ is once I raise strong pre-flop 3.5-5x depending on board, whilst its a big investment, if I can thin numbers out to 2 Villains then even if 1 overcard comes then I can C-bet: particularly if its an Ace I can represent. Too many players limp in then call the raise with Ax and then feel they have to fold when they just have a pair of Aces bad kicker when someone has raised heavy pre-flop. I hope this is sensible! Seems to work well but feel if I went up some levels people with Ace bad kicker wouldn't be calling pre but if they had Ace mid kicker they would call the c bet so change in strategy required.

The above is further to no overcards coming or hitting a set.