Pocket Aces

Wonka22

Wonka22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces...win a little money..or lose A LOT.

People who know will tell you.....if you win more than 80 or lose more than 20 you're probably playing them wrong....raising too much..or not raising enough. You're going to lose at least 1 in 5 times OVER TIME.

That means you might lose 5 times in a row, then win ten, then lose once then win 5, lose 2 times, then win 10......you're not going to win 4 and lose one in most single tournaments IF you happen to see aces that many times.

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Aces

I usually give a raise with AA in hand, maybe give a raise of 3 times the big blind, but much depends on my position on the table, also depends on how my opponents play and notes that I have them in my notebook.
It is better to give a raise and see the flop and analyze the results of which give an all in and lose the game.

Y

youzeaflea22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a guy at a live game slowed play AA and got beat by a guy that hit a set on the river. The guy next to me said, "thats why I go all in after the flop with AA". The very next hand I had JJ in the sb and the same guy (in the bb) raised $20 and I called. Flop came J rag rag and I checked because I was hoping he had aces. He pushed and I insta called. Sure enough he had aces. There is no way to play aces a certain way and win every time.

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must play this hand in different ways. Sometimes go all-in, sometimes call, sometimes raise 3x or 4x BB. And yes, sometimes they will crack your AA, bad luck...

D

dkee18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something I've notice since playing online, and probably why my Aces hold up 90% of the time since realizing it.
I hear a lot of people complaining about their Aces not holding up, and I just thought I'd share an observation of mine. Most people only raise 3 to 5x the BB, or get hyper aggressive and go all in.
Online, a raise of 5x the BB is not respected by 70% of the table! Hard to fathom huh? But think about it, how often have you raised with your Aces only to have 3-6 callers and you end up losing to the guy playing 9/3 or something like that?
So what do I do? Well I'll tell you like this
smile.gif

BB = 30 ( I raise to a min 240) 50% of the time it's folded around 40% of the time I only get 1 caller 10% = 2 callers. After the flop I bet the pot nothing less.
BB = 100 ( I raise to 800) everything else same as above.
As you can see I raise a min of 8 times the BB. If it is raised before me I raise it to a min of 6x their bet.
Simple enough and may not be how you'd play them or be your style, but It works for me and I can honestly say that my Aces stand up 9x out of 10 when I play them this way.
Take it for what it's worth too you and good luck on the felts
I am going to try your strategy. It has gotten to the point that I don't trust pocket A's or AK. When I do have luck with them, I find that the best strategy for me in the tournies is to bet about 4x the big blind and wait to see what kind of calls I get. I really don't want to push everyone out so after the flop if there is a bet, I usually just raise the bet 2x to 3x and let others think they have the best hand. Bet all in after the turn and by then I usually have them on the hook. Don't know if this is the best strategy but if the cards on the board warrant it, this usually the best strategy for me to make money on the pocket As. What do you think? Should I be changing my strategy?

ganjvelo

ganjvelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have aces, and people raise for you you should always put them all in if they raise big. Aces you should play against 1 or 2 people. Not when there more then 2 people in the game. If you get a flop like k-4-2 the chance is big, someone has k-q so you can clean him if you don't get beat.:)

But remember, if you just have a feeling and you know someone has better like 2 pair, you should easily fold aces:).
i agree first part but no1 easily folds AA beleive me :) for example there was flush in the board i bluffed like i had it, some1 called with AA without flush, he couldnt fold and won :S

A

Aldwin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally make a standard bet 3xBB, 4xBB before the flop. When I make a set then make a small bet or even check. When I don't make a set then I raise pot (or 3/4 pot). Be aware of people who re-raise you, maybe they have made their set...

J

James0301

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I to have made the mistake of limping in because to myself Im thinking * Humm his hand must be weak ill bet him hard * in which I would captalize and get a big hand... but now I am starting to realize... I really dont want to many people in there with me lol.

I have seen sooo many times some the person I could of pushed out with a strong preflop raise make a set on the flop and I fall right into there trap....

M

Macbeth33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally, players get too attached to aces and can't fold in obvious spots in which they are beat, which may be your problem. if the board is 789JJ and is 3 flushed and your opponent pushes, a lot of players tend to call with aces when I would advise a fold here. If you push all-in and are called by an inferior and and lose, then you can just attribute that to variance and you did nothing wrong. Be decision oriented.

A

arcbishop420

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket aces to me are a good starting hand but thats it!! u cant have more than 2 players going agenst u and u never know what will flop 4 to a str8 or flush? you aces can be cracked about 40% of the time i think it is so thats not the best odds ive seen play it out and try to get a set

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played it both ways. Sometimes pre-flop I will go allin other times I will smooth call or raise 3-4 times the big blind. It just depends on how the game is progressing. As to how you should play them.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pushing all-in with any cards pre-flop leaves it up to fate...it just comes down to you're either a pre-flop player or post-flop...a raise then a big bet on the flop works better for aces I think

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as excited as you are when you get them, its not a great hand against 4 or 5 other hands...so its important when you get them try and raise 5 to 10X the bb to try and isolate one or 2 players...even if they all fold and you only pick up the blinds and limps, its still better than busting out going all in