Please help me out a little bit

O

Oskark22

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to start at PLAY MONEY!!

I play with money, but i don't know if i should play fixed limit or no limt holdem now in the begining

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't recommend play money at all beyond just experimenting with the software and learning the absolute basics of the game. The micros are bad enough at distracting you from proper play while you're trying to hone your poker skills, play money would be even worse. Heck if the money wasn't an issue for you and you had a little more poker knowledge already I'd suggest you skip directly to 10NL or even 25NL. You'd lose more money at first but I think your education would be accelerated and you get on the road to profits quicker.

Fixed limit will reduce your swings because you can't play overly bloated pots. Learning all games is good for your overall poker skillset. However limit is a very different games in terms of strategy so it's not like you just jump from one to the other. If your long-term goal is to play NLHE, then I'd start at the NLHE micros and learn from there.

No matter what game or limit you start with, however, you need to have some reasonable expectations and understand what we've all been telling you in this thread. You will NOT be profitable at first. It can take some people a long time to become profitable, and many never achieve it. It takes a lot of hard work, and the more time you put into study away from the table the quicker you'll get there and the less it will cost you in losses. You sound like you want a quick solution, but there isn't one. If this game were that easy then everyone would be winning (which means the game couldn't sustain itself). The only reason poker continues is because there are a lot more losers than winners.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You only understand " a little bit about the game"? I definitely wouldn't recommend you skip straight to 25nl. You most certainly need to learn the game in and out before you start playing for real money. Internet poker is a good place to start(Play money) because you see many more hands and playing and learning from other players has its perks.(As opposed to trying to play and learn by yourself with a deck of cards)

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You only understand " a little bit about the game"? I definitely wouldn't recommend you skip straight to 25nl. You most certainly need to learn the game in and out before you start playing for real money. Internet poker is a good place to start(Play money) because you see many more hands and playing and learning from other players has its perks.(As opposed to trying to play and learn by yourself with a deck of cards)
I disagree strongly here. Not necessarily about starting at 25NL -- I only threw that out for those that have no trouble handling the losses at those limits while they learn the game.

There's very little "good" to be learned from other play money players, and a whole lot of "bad." As I said, beyond just learning the mechanics of the game and software, if you have any serious intentions about learning to play proper poker, you have to invest real money. The more bad habits you pick up in play money games, the harder it's going to be to adjust when you do make it to real money games. (Obviously I don't feel this way about special, private play money games such as CC League games).

When I started playing online (and I had not played live in probably 25+ years, and never NLHE), I started at 10NL to get a feel for it, then moved to 25NL briefly before moving to 50NL. I probably jumped to 50NL within 10K hands, and certainly not as a winner. I deposited what I needed to play comfortably and learned faster by jumping in the deep end of the pool. Different strokes for different folks, but for me it was the best way to motivate me to learn how to play quicker. At the nano limits there just wasn't enough money at stake to keep my interest and effort. For some people, both the risk and the reward have to be high enough to bother putting forth the effort necessary to succeed.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand Dmorris exactly what you're saying and very true about trying to lose those bad habits you pick up at play money games, but OP doesn't have a clue about any other form of poker except texas holdem. As you explained when you first started grinding online you haven't played live in 25 years and especially not NLHE, but you played all other types of poker(25 years prior) and that enabled you to probably pick up the game much faster. I think OP just got over learning the best poker hands and now learning the basics of texas holdem therefore I think its way too early for a player of his stature to be thrown to the sharks at 25nl. Everyone has and opinion, That's just mine.

Dmorris, when you started online you said you haven't played in 25 years right?? But you knew the game(texas holdem) from 25 years prior? You were pretty much a seasoned holdem player when you started grinding online. That's a totaly different ballgame in comparison to a player who is just now learning the game. That's like comparing skiing to football.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's pretty much what I meant by "learning the mechanics of the game." Once you understand the rules, betting patterns, and hand strengths, there's not much other reason to stay at play money unless you just like to play video games. Nothing against video games, I play them too, just not poker, because none of the other games I might play have the earning potential.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with Dmo maybe not at 25NL but play real money games and not play money I started out by playing a $11 MTT (I got in it through promo points) got 2nd place for $800 and started playing 25NL I sucked.. it was the best learning experience ever..

I ended up playing $1,000NL for awhile and went broke can't learn that in a book..

I learned so much more losing then I would of ever learned playing play money...

play in free rolls (cardschat free rolls would be great once you qualify) play 2NL and learn

You can't get good at golf by just watching you got to spend the money on the clubs and everything for the experience, its just the amount of golf balls you lose in the woods or water hazards that you want to try to limit.

O

Oskark22

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OHH guys, u have all missed what i ment..

I am not good at online poker (yet) and i am not rushing anything, i am taking every thing day by day to learn everything good and solid.

The only thing i was thinking abaut when i do play, (currenlty playing micro fixed limit on pokerstars)

The only thing i was wondering was that if i should play NL or fixed limit, it would still be micro stakes..

0.01-0.02..

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OHH guys, u have all missed what i ment..

I am not good at online poker (yet) and i am not rushing anything, i am taking every thing day by day to learn everything good and solid.
applies
The only thing i was thinking abaut when i do play, (currenlty playing micro fixed limit on pokerstars)

The only thing i was wondering was that if i should play NL or fixed limit, it would still be micro stakes..

0.01-0.02..
We understood this very well actually. :) I don't think you understand what we're saying, because you keep asking questions that have already been clearly answered.

Dmorris, when you started online you said you haven't played in 25 years right?? But you knew the game(texas holdem) from 25 years prior? You were pretty much a seasoned holdem player when you started grinding online. That's a totaly different ballgame in comparison to a player who is just now learning the game. That's like comparing skiing to football.
No, I had never played Hold'em. In my young days I played 5-card draw and stud games, always limit, and very casually. I knew nothing about Hold'em, and certainly not NLHE, until my brother-in-law introduced me to the game and I picked up a book on it. So about the only experience I brought to the game was knowing the poker hand rankings. No real idea of starting hands, what position meant, bet sizing, what a flop/community game even was... nothing else really. I read a book, got the basic gist, and jumped online.

So basically what I said could apply to anyone with a similar, very basic knowledge of poker in general.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sorry. I misunderstood your post. I thought you said you played(holdem) 25 years prior.
Oh ok "never NLHE"

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mr. Ferguson says to play at tables with no more than 10% of your BR. Be patient is must.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

0.01-0.02..
It's micro-stakes. Play what you enjoy more. How much more per hour do you think you can win by choosing either FL or NL?

Your focus should be completely on improving your game, not on changing games in pursuit of increasing your short-term win rate by an amount that is meaningless in the context of your poker "career".