Playing junk hands seems to be the way to win big ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChronicFish

ChronicFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bottom part I agree with fully.

However being more aggro postflop simply because you have more BB's to expend seems foolish. In no way does having more money in your stack justify being more aggressive. Essentially it's like your last point - It's not like playing more aggressive suddenly becomes more +EV just because you have more money to throw around.

I'll occasionally mess around with a weaker than normal range if I feel comfortable. Depends on the table and whatnot but with some super fish in the BB I don't mind opening T5o from the BTN. However my range are already fairly wide OTB so I don't want to go crazy and start playing ATC.

if you guys are referring to cash tables i do not play them at all
im really only into MTTs nothing els lol. i will still use part of what he said
to try an change my game up a bit.

dgiharris

dgiharris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you guys are referring to cash tables i do not play them at all
im really only into MTTs nothing els lol. i will still use part of what he said
to try an change my game up a bit.

I was speaking primarily about cash games...

what I wrote really doesn't apply to tournaments since you spend majority of your tournament under 50bb...

As your M# decreases under 35, you really need to be selective in your raising and targeting the right players/conditions and you also want to be raising with value hands, 88+, KQ, AT+ since short stacks are more prone to shoving...

for the most part, as far as tourneys go, you really want to play value hands aggressively. I know its not fashionable to say this, but tight is right for most of your MTT play other than times you need to steal the blinds or do a blind defense.

90% of your play in an MTT should be fairly ABC Nitty as you selectively use the other 10% to loosen up and target the right situations...

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reminds me of the time I limped in with 28o or something and hit a full house. I don't do that any more though honesty but when I first started playing yeah.

ChronicFish

ChronicFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was speaking primarily about cash games...

As your M# decreases under 35, you really need to be selective in your raising and targeting the right players/conditions and you also want to be raising with value hands, 88+, KQ, AT+ since short stacks are more prone to shoving...

for the most part, as far as tourneys go, you really want to play value hands aggressively. I know its not fashionable to say this, but tight is right for most of your MTT play other than times you need to steal the blinds or do a blind defense.

90% of your play in an MTT should be fairly ABC Nitty as you selectively use the other 10% to loosen up and target the right situations...

the targeting i got down, and waiting for my big hand to take out the shortstacks i got down also, its figuring out when to loosen up and play "junk hands" apparently i do this at the wrong time in most situations. but i am one that enjoys every bit of advice there is, so thanks agian for the advice bud ;)

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
See, this is what tempts people to spew chips limping into every pot with crap to try and hit it big. Based on stack sizes I didn't see merit in opening this hand even in position.

I've also made the mistake numerous times of trying to extend heaters and massively overplaying junk once the heater ends, of course I wind up giving back most of what I won. Having a big stack doesn't mean you can start slinging chips around recklessly.

Attachments

• folded quads.jpg
    folded quads.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, playing junk hands is great with a good plan in your head. If you're playing it just to hit strong againts opponents not-so-good big hand to get into cool setup and win some big pot, then you're just throwing your chips out I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands