Playing freerolls and donks

Emi

Emi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very common things like this happen, I can't tell you don't get mad because I get mad every time it happens. Try to use it as a motivation to study and prepare more

christiancjs

christiancjs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any freeroll and in any room you will find this type of players without notion. The question is not to bluff this type of players. Play strong hands and watch their movements in the different positions of the table.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you keep busting out of tournaments by having AA cracked? You must be the most unlucky man in the Universe :)

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Realize that with any hand no matter what it is that you'll always have a chance to lose and why I always fear the river...therefore you should never get angry becuase that's never any fun. freerolls have no value to some people so you can't play them as you would if everyone had something invested. Just use a freeroll to gain some experience trying to recognize players and patterns, have fun, play those cards you never would in a regular game, and then if you do stay in long enough to get close to the money, only then it will get more like a "real" game and play accordingly.

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are simply bingo games for the first hour (at least) with absolutely nothing at risk. These (donkey) players simply push it in and prey. But these players gain nothing from these moves, however it sure can lead to some bad habits if a good player starts doing the same thing. For these habits could really cost you at a real touney, or cash table. So play solid poker and let the donks battle.
Wow very well said and thank you so much for that. I literally just caught myself in the last two freerolls doing exactly that and after reading this just made me realize I need to STOP!!:)

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the san river its a big problem !!!!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean really getting upset at a free-roll Is pointless (Unless It's a CC free-roll).

The prizes In normal free-rolls compared to the private CC held games Is incomparable.

The field size In a normal free-roll compared to that of CC Is once again Incomparable.

The level of play In a free-roll compared to that @ CC Is once again Incomparable.

So with everything favoring CC and nothing favoring the "Regular free-rolls", my question Is, why aren't you In the CC games? I see from your post count that your new (Welcome), and be glad for I have glad tidings. You've found CC (Home to the best privately held free-rolls), and tough competition with great people. You've signed up to the forum now just endure/Be patient a-little while and you're gonna come to the gates of the CC held free-rolls and be amongst the rest of us, soon enough.

Now to answer the question as to why free-rolls are the way they are and why players don't take them more serious. The truth Is that free-rolls have easily 300+ players In them, and on top of that (you have to deal with the lousy payouts), so when you have a "Terrible reward to look forward to"+"Countless morons", It really becomes demoralizing, add to that how many hours It's gonna take for you to make ITM, and for what? $10? $20? If that, correct? I've never seen a free-roll that offers $10+ at a time other than CC games and private forum games.

If free-rolls are your thing, and that's ok really, than at-least make sure that your time Is worth It, and that the prize Is worth It+ rather than fighting for so long for a reward that doesn't even feel like a reward at the end.

Once again welcome to CC and you chose and excellent forum to be a part of.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
it's a minefield that you have to work through. just keep grinding and getting the money in ahead.

Shuler21

Shuler21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never give up) Luck is going to you)

Techniquez

Techniquez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid donks unless ur sitting with a premium starting hand, n hope they dont suckout!

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freeroll strategy

I go all in everytime i get premium cards (any 2 picture cads) . this has actually won me a couple of tournaments in these gigantic fields. I fold everything else.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey you can't appreciate the victories, if you have not felt the defeats. Keep plugging away. Even the law of averages says you should win only once per players in the game.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes donkbetting get many chips if u should played very tight game until than.

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well ... sometimes the villain ventures with connectors and low pairs, the only advice I can give is for you to wait and watch the players on your table well before you go with all your chips.
Ok.

Good luck!
We are together!!!
😎👊

K

KarlAbbott01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played a 0.55c finished 120 out of 4044 by a pair of 10s when I had KAs, no matter what happens players will always chase or do ridiculous calls but that is poker.

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the beginning of a freeroll there is usually a huge amount of suicide players, you need to pay attention to your table and if there are many suicide players you should become super super tight and lower the aggression even if you have a premium hand, don't worry, most of these players will disappear soon enough.
In my opinion the risk of getting a big stack early game is not worth the risk of busting out to suicide players.
You need to consider that even if you have a premium hand many players will call all ins with anything, try to avoid multi way all ins at all cost.
It is also probably better to lower the aggression pre flop and try to bet on made hands only. When you raise pre flop many take it as a challenge(?) and you will often find you unleashed a chain effect and everyone is suddenly all in.

D

DirtyDingle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
happens to me so often in freerolls that a person who is way behind all in pre flop will more often then not hit(or runner runner) what they need to beat me. makes you wonder?

D

DirtyDingle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
literally as I sent that message I was playing a freeroll... I get pocket QQ and call all in against a 64os and the guy flops an open ender and turns a flush draw and rivers both.. cmon now

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately freerolls have many players shoving any 2 cards looking to play bingo and chip up. This can be very frustrating but you must realize this is not the case in real money tournaments. Playing in these freeroll requires patience as well as the discipline not to develop poor habits. These tournaments often play fast and loose during the first hour or so. Let the fish fight it out and pick your spots wisely. Once the blinds get up there most of the idiotic play is done. Although this isn't always the case because some of them donks likely chipped up by shoving there stack and getting lucky. Note the bingo players because they will likely make some sort of play that you can benefit from eventually.

J

Jogn smith

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do donks even play freerolls

I dont get why oeople wonna register for a freeroll and then move all in with 4-2. Call a 5×bb raise with Q5, and move all in, 4-5 × the pot when they hit a Q. Like, the only reason thay play it is to make us, standard poker players, tilt. Is that really that fun. Must be a wast of time

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think the ACR freeroll donks are bad, wait until you encounter the donks on intertops! I played two freerolls there yesterday for the first time, and it was crazy!

The trick is to stay patient. Have a plan, and play your game.

Ever seen the movie "The Hunger Games"? (The 1st one) Remember when the battle was going to start, the girl got supplies and ran for the woods as opposed to getting slaughtered like some of the people did? That's how you want to treat the freerolls at the beginning. You have to pick and choose your spots. You can do it. It was frustrating for me and within a week, I managed to cash in.

K

Kingcooper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately freerolls have many players shoving any 2 cards looking to play bingo and chip up. This can be very frustrating but you must realize this is not the case in real money tournaments. Playing in these freeroll requires patience as well as the discipline not to develop poor habits. These tournaments often play fast and loose during the first hour or so. Let the fish fight it out and pick your spots wisely. Once the blinds get up there most of the idiotic play is done. Although this isn't always the case because some of them donks likely chipped up by shoving there stack and getting lucky. Note the bingo players because they will likely make some sort of play that you can benefit from eventually.

I agree with what you're saying here totally but what I would like to add is that no, real money tournaments are not free of fish and bingo players. I tire out of Jokerstars tourneys because you're forced to play a hand an hour in a lot of games unless you're lucky enough to get AA every ten minutes. Especially in micros. I can agree though that in bigger tourneys like the $11 Sunday Storm for example, there are many more actual players that are not in there to play bingo.

I play regularly with a family member in the same room in the same tourneys and he plays much more loose than me but gets lucky against the fish almost all of the time. If I played the way he did, I'd be out first hand of every game.

It's a beautiful game but the devil at the same time.

K

Kingcooper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played a 0.55c finished 120 out of 4044 by a pair of 10s when I had KAs, no matter what happens players will always chase or do ridiculous calls but that is poker.

I've discussed this hand in it's own thread. I run into the same problem all of the time but if he calls with 10's, he's already ahead. I would say with AK and my luck combined, I've maybe won 1 out of every 15 hands where I've started with AK. It's a nice looking set of hole cards and we're all tempted but in my opinion, its a trouble causer.

Running into AA's is just a b*tch with it too! lol

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to play against donks, they are the ones that give you money. Maybe try playing more tables, then it you wont have as much time to get angry and you have another one going already if you get donked out.

fabiofff

fabiofff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
each play of poker, each mode of play, will vary according to the situation. I think the best strategy is to be more cautious at first, then let go of the game and impose stronger moves.

Freeroll Passwords