Playing freerolls and donks

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what you're saying here totally but what I would like to add is that no, real money tournaments are not free of fish and bingo players. I tire out of Jokerstars tourneys because you're forced to play a hand an hour in a lot of games unless you're lucky enough to get AA every ten minutes. Especially in micros. I can agree though that in bigger tourneys like the $11 Sunday Storm for example, there are many more actual players that are not in there to play bingo.

I play regularly with a family member in the same room in the same tourneys and he plays much more loose than me but gets lucky against the fish almost all of the time. If I played the way he did, I'd be out first hand of every game.

It's a beautiful game but the devil at the same time.

You are correct. But we love that devilish game.

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight passive in early, casual tight aggressive mid, and LAG in late game.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is normal in freeroll tournaments to happen these kkkkk atrocities. Many pay with any pair. Stay tuned and relax. Enjoy the game and know when to pay or raise. I went through this too, I'm overcoming.

L

lagfishbilly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play these free rolls on ACR quite often and i even built my bankroll using my winnings from them. free roll ---> 50c tourney ----> $3 tourney for 170 dollars or so. /endbrag/
My strategy is to chip up early just shove anything and see if it catches, if not there is always another free roll. After you double the first time just wait for premium hands and open shove people will call with anything. This won't play like a real tournament until you get deep and people start playing more serious.
The tough part for me is being patient through the last 50 or so people to the final table, I punt my stack in that spot often
I believe this is a winning strategy because i grinded these free rolls trying to make the top 10 leader board, i ended up in 11th place. I made the final table 3 times in one day using this strategy but i was playing every free roll that day.
The money may not be very good but the experience is cool knowing u made top 9 out of ~500 people.

Last edited:
estefanetti

estefanetti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait the premium hands and kill them!!

Wgorham

Wgorham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will run into alot of that in the freerolls. They play with any 2 cards it seems. Dont get frustrated.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understandable to get angry when someone makes a bad play and gets rewarded for it. But freerolls are full of players who just want a little thrill without the cost. Need to keep that in perspective. Just keep playing solid straight forward poker in a free roll. These players would generally not understand or recognize when you are making a play on them. Use the game as a chance to practice basic strategy, calculating pot odds and such. Save the moves for later play.

Gulas

Gulas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once registered to a freeroll, but couldn't play it because of real life problems. Left my PC turned on, came back after 3 hours. I finished 100th out of 1000. Doing absolutely nothing made me score higher than the 90% of players.

Though I made 0 cents out of it. So you still need to have a game.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go all in everytime i get premium cards (any 2 picture cads) . this has actually won me a couple of tournaments in these gigantic fields. I fold everything else.

Nobody likes to lose, that fact. Who has never been pissed off at being misapplied? Or a Bad BEAT? This happens on all levels, I play freeroll, and I give more value for them, I try to apply everything I study, always dedicating myself more and more, I think you should not bluff at first, play with a range Tight, apply a strategy for this range, and the most important fold without pity and pity. Do not cling to AKs, KK, QQ. Learn to read the board, if it's obvious you're missing out, fold it down.

Freeroll Passwords