Playing AK preflop

W

Willrumble21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been struggling lately with how I should play AK preflop when facing raises and 3 bets. Should I play to just get it in before the flop? Or should I fold when facing aggression? I feel like its such a difficult hand to play. Advice?

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been struggling lately with how I should play AK preflop when facing raises and 3 bets. Should I play to just get it in before the flop? Or should I fold when facing aggression? I feel like its such a difficult hand to play. Advice?

Many factors need to be evaluated when making this decision

- early/mid/late stage of the tournament?
- your relative read on your opponents
- stacks of others you are facing (do you cover them if you lose)

AK is generally the most overplayed hand, and not always easy to let go.

My general approach is laying it down to multi raises in early stages

There are many situations in later stages where a 3-bet to limpers can be considered a less than premium hand to your AK. In those situations, if I have a healthy chip position (where even if I lose the hand, Im still alive) , I may shove to induce a fold. Even when called, its a hand that can lead to final tables if you win, these are the monster pots you need to get there.

GL at the tables

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

In Cash Game i usually call the 3 Bet because i feel pretty confident playing them post flop. Still got to consider how your opponent plays.

In Tournaments it depends on the Stage and my Stack size if I feel like its a good shove or fold.

gl

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that in general you should look to call 3bets with AK and play some flops. 3bets aren't necessarily always going to be the most premium of hands (plenty of worse Ax hands will be 3bet like AQ) and you've got around 45% equity against any hand that isn't a premium overpair. Expect to have to fold most flips you don't connect with in some way, however.

SLazarov

SLazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending what stage is it though. I wouldnt reraise with AK in the beginning of tournament with it, but will def call, in the later stages, ill probably reraise or go allin

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The same query I also have . but the only sure is that the sess blinds/smaller stack you hve , the easier the decision will be , especially if you are IP and you have watched previous action and you see what pot odds you have then .

I want to be ready to fold AK when I don't hit on the flop and have many opponents betting/calling bets , especially big bets , ,or when the opponent is extremelly tight and suddenly aggressive on this hand . AK is a strong hand preflop , but only a drawing hand , you have to keep that in mind :) With 4bets or worse be ready to fold when it's your big stack vs big stack if you need to sacrifice too much of your big stack vs another big stack as well for preflop shove , let's say full stack early in the tournament 100 blinds vs another 100 blinds :)

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
I would go allin in this case
No matter what agression you re facing
Rgds

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely depends most on what you are trying to achieve and your read on the table / opponents. There are a few out there I would fold against, some I would rebump it, and a lot I would call to see a flop.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK

For me a lot depends on how I would play my AK depending on if I am playing at a cash table, freeroll, or a buy in tournament. Lots of factors to consider if playing for cash where one bad hand would set you back to a point of little chance to end up in the money.
Also if I had any notes on the players that raised that would help in making my decision.

As others have said AK is one of the most over bet hands out there. Like thinking AA is a sure thing which is NOT :D.. Was playing earlier today had pocket rockets and bet the pot after 2 raises before my bet. Both called who did initial raises. Flop was 3 7 10 all non suited. I bet pot and one guy goes all in .. Long story short he had 3 -6 non suited .. as luck would have it he hits a 3 on the river for trips. Lucky for me it was only in a Venom game so no $ lost.

Good luck!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many factors need to be evaluated when making this decision

- early/mid/late stage of the tournament?
- your relative read on your opponents
- stacks of others you are facing (do you cover them if you lose)

AK is generally the most overplayed hand, and not always easy to let go.

My general approach is laying it down to multi raises in early stages

There are many situations in later stages where a 3-bet to limpers can be considered a less than premium hand to your AK. In those situations, if I have a healthy chip position (where even if I lose the hand, Im still alive) , I may shove to induce a fold. Even when called, its a hand that can lead to final tables if you win, these are the monster pots you need to get there.

GL at the tables

i play it how i see it if 3-4 times in a row it hits for someone im more intune to shove later in event with ak ... as far as laying down that for me is doubtful.... will say my key is position and trying to isolate someone not multiple someones

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's much tougher to play oop. try playing more aggressively in position and more passively oop.