Playing A K under the gun

xaxawa

xaxawa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think fold AK from UTG - bad game. Better open with 3BB bet.

V

vvvslav810

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HMMMM AK is very good hand you can make easy semi blef 6/7 BB or ALL IN on UTG or make just 3 BB but fold is bad play ....that is my way to play this hand :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My answer would be it depends.

Many variables like table dynamics, your image, etc would guide you if you play AK or not.

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rmin and do not complicate the situation after you have a lot of action :))

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AK off suit UTG is just nitty!

Not only is AK a strong drawing hand, you are blocking AA & KK combinations. If you miss the flop, just C-bet if you are heads up against someone that folds to flop C-bets a lot

If they call, fire a 2nd barrel if they fold a lot on the turn. Playing fit or fold isn't going to be too helpful with AK because you're not going to hit the flop as often. (Also like someone said, when a A or K hits on the flop... your hand is basically face up when you bet big.)

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to say it depends on a lot is vacant, but this game is so complex that it is the best of all hehe response.

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK should be raised! depending on flop you should bet! if you dont hit you should keep betting but analyse your opponents betting sheme etc
Sometimes a good poker player should know when to fold AK

P

pandagirl1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter where you are on the table,there is one variable that seems to elude most poker players and that is AK without help cant beat a pair of deuces its just a pretty hand that is often over played pre flop.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't want to be out of position with a big pot developing with this hand. It is much stronger in late position. If someone hits the flop hard you are in it deep

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this even a thread? ABSOLUTELY open AK, suited or not UTG.

Here's why.

There are 3 hand combos that have you massively beat. AA have 90% equity against you.

There are 3 hand combos that are significantly ahead. KK has 66% equity against you.

There are 66 combos, assuming players will call with 22+ that have slight equity against you. 55%.

There are 75 combos where you are a significant favorite, approximately if you consider people will call with A5-9suited in position, plus AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, KTsuited. 70% in your favorite. Plus there's another 20 combos of QJ, and QTs that lose to you 60% in your favor. Throw in maybe another 16 combos of lower suited connectors. That's over 100 hand combinations that are losing to AK at least 2/3rds of the time.

So, with 172 hand combos of what people will reasonably call with

100 lose 2/3rds of the time or more.
66 lose a little pinch less than half the time.
3 have you beat 2/3rds of the time.
And a whopping 3 combos win 90%.

In other words:

AK will be the best hand by the river apprx. 2/3rds of the time against an average opponents calling range.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I recommend opening 4 (6max) or 5xBB-6xBB (9max). Keeps out most of the annoying speculative hands. What you don't want is UTG +1 flatting you, cause then the whole friggin' ring comes along for the ride.

X

xCEZRx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK early position

We all love AK don't? Well I know I do, thats why I usually raise when I get it but I don't know how to play it when I raise in early position and someone re-raises me. If I just call all the info I get is that the villain is holding any pocket pair, any broadway (I play micros) and any Ax, re-raising on the other hand probably eliminates some broadways and small aces is it worth risking a re-raise for that or maybe I should just fold?

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont fold AK in UTG , but Im not for all in with AK in any position except you are a chipleader. Allways see the flop, thats help a lot.Just small raise with AK UTG , and i somebody reraise i just call , and wait for flop.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a re-raise and a re-re-raise, I'm folding against most opponents; I'll give credit for AA, KK, QQ in this spots. If I'm in position, I'm slightly more likely to call to see the flop, but even then, I'm feeling lost unless I hit two pair.

Out of position, I'm likely folding to the re-reraise.

If you're crediting AA, KK, QQ (and maybe AK) in that spot - which I think is pretty spot on, you're still losing if you hit two pair. And if it's QQ you're ahead with any pair. A 4-bet from out of position that isn't a shove is pretty much QQ+ from most villains (at least on lower stakes), but luckily there's only 3 AA combos, so you have outs 3/4 of the time.

The tricky spot is if a King hits on the flop. Cause now there's 3 AA, 6 QQ, and 1 KK. Villain will c bet most of the time (it would be a mistake not to) so you at least gotta call one street. Now you're only ahead 6/10 times. If your villain fires the turn you have to make a judgement call: would your opponent double barrel a King high board with QQ after you've called a 4-bet pre flop and called a bet on the flop?

koreano

koreano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK under the gun, I did not fold. 2.5x normally I do and I hope to see who enters the hand. Unless a letter fold on the flop, I make a C-Bet again with the same preflop bet or 30% of the total pot.

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're folding this most times...what exactly are you raising or calling with? why would you not open raise with this hand and fold to a 3bet if you feel dominated or better yet call and see a flop. I think you are giving away a lot of equity by folding this. Actually I know you are.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is wrong,it is a raise with AK from any position, cause there are only two hands that have a great chances against you, it is AA and KK.

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Under the gun is the worst position , so caution is advisable but it is a very good hand . Bet 3BB or 4BB , and wait for the response of opponents. If you take all in before the flop I give up.

M

mikeisanace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always play ace king with very little exceptions.

Under the gun a standard 4 x times the bb raise or so makes the rest of the table think you have ak-aq-or a pp. Mix it up under the gun you should be raising 4-5 times the bb or limp in to confuse your opponents only fold to a 3 times re raise assuming you could be up against aces. But don't assume this look for flops like a-5-9 and go from there your probably good here.

D

danvu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is just way to strong to fold, in any position, any day of the week. If you get customers, they are usually behind you to the flop, and AK does often flop well. If you miss the flop and the customer bets into you, or raises your Cbet, you could re-evaluate

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What often happens with AK is that you're often called by a PP.
So, you miss the flop 67% of the time. You are behind now.
If V bets 50% pot, very bad pot odds for you (8:1 to hit pair but paying 3:1 to call)
If they do not have PP, if flop has a T J or Q, good chance you're behind also.