Playing a flopped low top pair (7-7)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. Just wanted advice with a recent hand I played. There were 4 players at the table, my hole cards were 8/7 suited. Player in front of me raised, I called, sb folded and bb called. The flop gave me top pair, it was 247 rainbow if I can recall correctly. Everyone checked. I raised a decent precent of the pot. Everyone folded and I took the pot.

Was this the correct move? My logic was if there were preflop raisers (I noticed they would only raise if they had at least one high card), and they missed the flop, then I wouldn't want to give them good odds for their hand to improve to a better pair than mine.

Techniquez

Techniquez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe u did, but my logic might go against the book...u had the position so might as well take a stab n collect the pot...good going in my book! Plus who knows if a higher card turns, n someone has a better pair.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against these players, it was the right move because it sounds like you didn't overextend, you got everyone to fold, and most importantly you won the pot. Against a different set of players this call could be unfavorable but that's a discussion for another day when that does happen again.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great play.You should only told by which amount did you raised.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the correct bet. You may have been able to get more value, but you run into a large amount of variance when you do that. You should always charge the over cards and draws. All wheel aces have equity you want to charge as well. Plus the low straight draw hands the BB could have. Nice bet

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the bet, too many overcards and draws with hands like 65 which could get there - if you get called, you have to worry a little about overpairs and probably want to try to get to showdown without the pot getting bloated much further. The bet looks strong into 3 other players on this dry a board so it should get a good bit of credit - they could be putting you on a set in this scenario.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys :)
You made the correct bet. You may have been able to get more value, but you run into a large amount of variance when you do that. You should always charge the over cards and draws. All wheel aces have equity you want to charge as well. Plus the low straight draw hands the BB could have. Nice bet
Can you tell me more about the high variance line? Is that something I would do with a very deep stack to win more in the long run? How does the equity compare? Does this line work better in multiway pots? I can't wrap my head around the math comparing both lines at the moment (ie: is the higher risk of losing the pot outweighed by the extra chips I would get if they miss their draws).

Edit: Do any of the solvers also show variance for different lines of play?

Last edited: