Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A lot is said about limp in poker. Absolutely not the ideal strategy for a hand. But in some specific situation, this movement is valid. Could you tell me in which situation this is valid?

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Limping in general is bad. That's why at least I don't waste a thought on it.

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I see 3 situations where limping is valid, specially in microstakes

1- Small pairs, when there are other limpers already
2- Suites Aces and Suited connectors, same as number 1
3- Small Blind vs Big Blind, you can mixup limping marginal hands and monsters as traps

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On micro table are full of recreational, fishes, newbies... they dont know how to deal properly with a limper. Soo, in that case, just play freely.

With good players you had to take more cautions. There are many forms to limp. You have to take in consideration your position, your enemies, your cards, what type of table it is, how big are the blinds, how many times are you limping, if its a normal tournament or a big tournament for you, etc.

In general you have to avoid limp too much, because is a passive move, in time you will lose more than win. You put yourself in a position you dont want to be.

This being said... let me analyze this comment:

3- Small Blind vs Big Blind, you can mixup limping marginal hands and monsters as traps

1 - If you have small pair, like 22, but your position is UTG. Mostly of the times is just too dangerous to limp, specially with 9 players table and blinds not too small. If there is any agressive players across the street is bad too.

2- If you limp all the time trying to reach a flush is bad. The percentages for getting one of them is not soo good. Suited ace with a bad kicker can put you in a big trouble, be careful.

3 - Agreed.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Perfect! Thanks!

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On micro table are full of recreational, fishes, newbies... they dont know how to deal properly with a limper. Soo, in that case, just play freely.

With good players you had to take more cautions. There are many forms to limp. You have to take in consideration your position, your enemies, your cards, what type of table it is, how big are the blinds, how many times are you limping, if its a normal tournament or a big tournament for you, etc.

In general you have to avoid limp too much, because is a passive move, in time you will lose more than win. You put yourself in a position you dont want to be.

1 - If you have small pair, like 22, but your position is UTG. Mostly of the times is just too dangerous to limp, specially with 9 players table and blinds not too small. If there is any agressive players across the street is bad too.

2- If you limp all the time trying to reach a flush is bad. The percentages for getting one of them is not soo good. Suited ace with a bad kicker can put you in a big trouble, be careful.

3 - Agreed.
Thanks!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In HU Hypers limping can be a useful strategy against overly aggressive 3 bettors.

B

bananovsky1999

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

3 - Agreed.
I don't like limping these hands as well, but i think they're the best options for begginers (let's say players with 50-60% VPIP) because it gradually reduces the amount of hands played

1- It is generally better for a new player to limp 22 with other players already in the hand as I said (because of the pot odds) then limping something like K8o or Q9o. Set mining is an easier concept to explain

2- Once again, i just consider suited connectors and suited aces hands easier to explain how to play, although as you mentioned they can get more bad scenarios then small pairs (I myself like 3betting some suited aces in position, but that is a whole different thing)

Also, one thing that you've mentioned and i forgot to tell is that limping gets worse with bigger blinds, so it should probably be used only in the early stages

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A lot is said about limp in poker. Absolutely not the ideal strategy for a hand. But in some specific situation, this movement is valid. Could you tell me in which situation this is valid?
There are quite a lot of such situations and they happen quite often. Perhaps the only and most important condition is understanding the style and strategy of the opponent's game. Without this understanding, a limp will most likely lead to losses.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually limp if I am not the first to play, and others before me have limped. In those cases I play speculative hands, such as low pairs or suited connectors.

UnderDawg5501

UnderDawg5501

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
From what I have learned, a limper encourages more limpers. After all, there is more dead money in the pot.
If you consider your chips as a conversation with people at the table, a limper is saying "I have 2 cards that I don't like much".
Anyone behind you with anything is going to raise and take your chips. Free money!

After all, everyone is looking for anything that says you're weak. And it costs you a BB to say "Come take my money."

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it is worth limping with strong hands so that the game is not recognizable.
For example, I limp once or twice out of ten A,A pairs. ;)

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Have your read the Cardschat Poker Guide yet?
The dude gives good examples of when to limp..

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping could be good when you want to see the Flop cheaply or when the opponent is aggressive and your limping might trap them by having them raise for you. However, limping is generally advised against because we seldom know for sure if these things will happen and it is often times better to just play a little more straight-forward by raising and building the pot with your better hands and just folding when you don't have much worth playing.

The pros seem to be able to make use of any poker move at some select spot, but if you are a beginner to intermediate poker player without knowledge or intuition to these exceptions, then you are probably better just raising and betting yourself for value.