Is patience important?

CollYan

CollYan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dear colleagues, how important is patience to win tournaments? Where is patience in the qualities necessary for victory? I'm new to poker and at the moment I'm faced with the following problem: after about an hour of playing, my excitement ends, I start making conscious mistakes and when I lose I don't regret it at all, and maybe even glad that it's over ...)), but on the next day I'm sorry. Perhaps this is affected by the time of the game, mostly tournaments take place on the borders of the evening / night in my time zone. Perhaps someone faced such a problem and already defeated it ...!?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Patience is very important in Poker and especially in MTT games, I remember in one event I entered, I spent the first 2 hours folding hand after hand, Even following the action and thinking yes I had made the right decision on ever flop.
I then found myself on the BB on a hand where the dealer had accidentally turned my 2nd card which was the 5 of Clubs and he immediately mucked it face up and continued to deal around the table, as he did I looked at the first card I had been dealt which was the Ace of Clubs and said "Damn! Can I not have that 5?" He apologised and said "Sorry you have to have this" and dealt me the first burn card, amazingly he had given me the Ace of Hearts so as the action went around the table I waited and facing a raise and re-raise I said "I really would have liked that 5 of Clubs, but if these guys are trying to steal my Blind, I'm All-in" I moved my chips forward and got a caller.
He turned over Pocket Kings and as I turned my hand over I Said " look I could have caught a Straight Flush with that 5 of Clubs" the table laughed and needless to say I missed the Flush but still doubled up with the Aces.
Patience is a virtue! and if it is worth having, never more so than in Poker!

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think patience is one of the most important, but there are tournaments where patience ends up playing against you, I mean when you lose the blinds waiting for the winning hand. At least that's what I think. salutes

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before buying into any tournament we need to be aware of, how long it will potentially last and make sure, we have time to finish it and wont get tired or lose concentration, before its over. Just to give an example yesterday I won an 11$ "Big" MTT on pokerstars with around 170 participants. When we got to the final heads-up, my opponent had a massive chip lead. 177 BB against my 36BB. So he was a clear favourite to win. But over the next 24 minutes and 93 hands I gradually managed to claw back to even and then a small chip lead with 80 BB against his 60BB. Still a completely open game, but then he made this massive punt and basically gave me the victory:

I can only guess, that at this point he was just done with the thing and did not even care, if he finished first or second. After all second place is already a good payday. But if your goal is to play tournaments for profit, either professionally or as a serious side hustle, then you cant just punt away a 60BB stack like this in the final heads-up. And this is why, mental stamina and concentration is so important.

As for the solutions you say, that most tournaments run in the evening in your time zone. This is definitely not true. On all major sites tournaments run 24 hours a day, so you can play anytime, you want. It might be, that the largest tournaments run in the evening. That is typically the case for people like myself living in Europe. But then you just settle for playing in the smaller tournaments, which run earlier in the day.

This "Big", which I won yesterday, began at 7 am CET and finished at 12.30 pm CET. And no its not as large as those running in the evening. But the upside of that is, its much easier to beat a field of 170 people rather than 1.700. So basically you just need to start playing earlier in the day. Maybe not at 7 am, if you like to sleep late in the weekends, but not at 7 pm either. Maybe start after lunch. Or you can pick tournaments, which dont last as long. Which will then typically be SnGs, turbos and hyperturbos.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you should play sitgo or other quick tournament modes, because most tournaments involve a bigger prize pool, patience is the greatest virtue, in my humble opinion.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, I think that patience is so important, and is important too apply good strategies, because is not only wait top hands to earn chips,, you need to know strategies to play much better.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Impatience and the desire to get results as soon as possible are typical of young people. In poker, nothing will work without patience. And how are you going to play satellite tournaments. We need to be patient. It's not going to just show up.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just played $200 tournament at the Orleans last night. 407 entrants. 1st gets paid 18k. Top 54 places get paid. I got crippled when there were 60 players left. But my patience paid off. I folded my TT in a 3 way all in. Normally, it should be instant all in, especially when i am tilted. But knowing that the guy who 4 betted shoved his chip lead stack over the top and his vpip is 10%, i decided to take a deep breathe, use my brain for once and that since i had him as a nit who 4 bets over the top when he couldve gotten out of the way if he wanted to, clearly he has Aces, Kings, Queens. So I decided to be patient and folded by TT to get my chips in at a hopefully better opportunity and he rolls over Aces. Wouldve lost, especially with Ace hitting the board. I slowly started building my stack but blinds increasing didnt help much. In the end, my patience got me to 20th place. I couldve been bubbled out or knocked out little earlier.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Patience is a key skill. If you lack patience, then you better find another occupation. Without patience you will not be able to succeed, without patience - poker is a waste of time.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only say that both patience and skills are the keys of this exciting game.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
patience is certainly a very important quality in the game, but you can't control it when you're in the game, it's hard to do it, especially after 2-3 hours and you can make such mistakes that later you need to be patient and be able to play because you can be patient and throw all your hands away but in the end you will lose so you need to know how to play poker and patience is the second quality after skill

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think patience is exceptionally important, but shouldn't be confused with timidity. You should absolutely wait for your spots, and sometimes that's a long wait. When your spot comes, you should make sure to maximize your profitability.

My problem is I have lots of patience until I don't.

AAlemOon

AAlemOon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Patience is important but wisdom is more

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Patience is very important in poker. Along with luck it's one of the main factors for a successful game over. To tell the truth, I don't adhere to this trait if I'm in a bad mood. :)

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes- absolutely. It’s easier said than done. If emotions get involved- it makes this even more difficult.

CollYan

CollYan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to everyone who shared the information, I will change my approach.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
for me, you answer your question yourself, since you know where the error is.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Think about how much money you could save by pulling yourself together and continuing to be yourself - a balanced player with your own unique style. Remember that poker is played to win money, we came there to win, not to make constant deposits.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It don't matter how good you can play. what matters is how good you do play.

I go with the approach that an hour of poker is 55 minutes of watching paint dry and 5 minutes of cliff diving.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, sometimes I think that is necessary to practice yoga or some kind of meditation to learn how to control our feelings. Sometimes the hands that we receive are terrible and that doesn't depend of us, but if we dice de to go or not depends all of us

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Dear colleagues, how important is patience to win tournaments?
Patience is the key word in poker, if you don't have it don't start, I see it clearly in freeroll tournaments, people don't have the patience to wait for a good hand, and they usually play with anything, and worse, in the first hand of the tournament goes all-in or calls an all-in with any pair or AX.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't have patience, I don't think you can win a tournament. I won a few tournaments and noticed that only with patience is this possible.

ednaroza

ednaroza

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The answer to that question is clear. But it's easier said than done! :D

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think patience and time are very important......but the luck is more important