• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is definitely over played when in early position. When near the button it can be very strong. People will put you on it, but if there's enough in the pot who cares. Playing it from early position can often leave you pot committed and your an underdog to a pair.

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I find it hard to tell you how many time (in live play) that I have seen players really over play this hand (especially pre flop). You can really put yourself on tilt (in tourneys), if you forget the founding rule. That it is a marathon not a race.

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't bet all my chips on that one prior to seeing the flop. Although at times enthusiasm got the best of me. Many times I would be on a freeroll tourney and see many losing with an ak to like pocket 6s. For instance, I had pocket kings preflop and someone had a k9 suited. I went all in and the person called. He got the flush. Sure I felt a bit peeved to say, but I knew in my heart it was the right decision and I didn't/ don't regret the fact.

B

Broon1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overplayed preflop no. Post flop yes

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK definitely deserves a raise pre-flop, but if you don't hit the flop then it's time for some thinking. You can go all the way till river and still have only ace high. And we all know that deuces are better than high card.. So, just be careful when you don't have anything. Everything is relative of course.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I find many people overplaying AK which is no good . You must play it of course , suited the best , but with caution ,raise , see how many entered the hand , if you hit or not sth , but if not see if the board is 'offered' for a cbet then bluf , if raised or reraised fold . In all cases adjust your playing depending on the villain ,don't overplay it . If heads up play more aggresivelly .

P

parakon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion,it will narrow the tactics not to use AK.

Do you feel that it is strong when you have AXs in your hand?
If you think that it is a natural thing to feel AKo is so strong hand.
If you busted after shoving AK, can you console yourself?

Probability Ak does not have the advantage for pocket pair.
AK is easy hand to waiting only A or k.
(It is not really such a simple talk.)

But pocket pair is usually scare by A.(please not come A・・・)
Which hand do you choose. SB 22 or BB AKo.
I chose 22 SB. But I lost BB's AKs.
I had over pair and I noticed opponents has AK・・・,
but I didn't know opponents had more over spirit for me.
I was pushed his over played. He made straight for river.

AK may be strong hand. Something dwells in a bullish play.
And I realized that I was poor at pressure.
Thank you for reading.:)

A

Amish_player

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is overplayed on free/micro where I play but yet it is a very strong hand. I think some think its overplayed just because not a "made hand" like a pocket pair. In otherwords, some seem to under estimate it to me.

Reven420

Reven420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is overplayed by most. It's a strong drawing hand and that's all. If you don't hit on the flop all you really have is ace high. Too many people go all in or raise and re-raise like its AA then the flop comes and the fish hits has 72off and hits his deuce and takes out your "monster" hand. Yeah raise with it, but understand it's only a hand if it hits the flop. Same with AQ.

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree I have seen many player overplay AK at small stake games going all in every time and just chancing to luck
its a hand that I will play strong for the flop and then reassess

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is an example from my game. One of the games in the Cardschat Freeroll I got pocket cards AK. The opponent bet all-in preflop with pocket cards - QQ , I have AK offsuit hands, and I also go all-in, the two of us at the table.
As a result, I lost an arm.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I overplay AK all the time in the micros because it has so much potential. I think the best way to play it aggressively as possible.

Preflop, you're never in too terrible of a situation.
-You're way only behind AA, AK and you take away some of the combination of AA/KK pairs
-You flip vs all other pairs. I late reg only, so effective stacks are shallow. So, I don't mind flipping for 20-25BBs with AK.
-You crush all other A/X combinations.
-60/40 vs all other non paired hands. (AK vs Q9)

Postflop, you still have a ton of potential
-If you hit, you have TPTK
-If you miss, most flops are good enough to cbet and take down with AK. So, you have a ton of fold equity.
-Even if your opponent has 66 on a 92Qr flop, it's hard to call a cbet with a small pair. Especially if you raised/3bet preflop another continued with aggression.
-You also have some equity to hit on the turn or river, or if you turn a gut shot, you can double barrel.

Ultimately, post flop play depends on board structure and your opponent, but we only hit our flops about 1/3 of the time and miss the other 2/3. So, your opponent is missing quite often as well. Cbet those dry flops and pick up those pots.

H

heix24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Went all in with AA, lost to hand AK(KKK)

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AK is a great hand. And you must act accordingly. Do not be afraid to make big preflop increases with A-K. If someone pays you, you'll be slightly non-favorite (against an average pair) or a big favorite (against a worse ace or something like K-Q of the same suit). The only time you get in trouble is when you come across a pair of aces or kings. Against all the other hands, you are in good or good condition, besides being able to win without a battle. So if you're up against someone you think you're pushing with a medium pair, push with A-K too. It is better that he does not pay, but if he does pay, his hand is in the match.