• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess it depends on the stage of the tournament you are in. at the beginning don't take too many risks, just calling would be enough most of the time if your opponent isn't too loose (then raise it!). but at the late stage tournament i believe ak is gold. you can always measure your opponent's hand strength with it

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Vejo muitos foldam AKo , AKs em jogos sitgo e MTT,meu ponto de vista em relação ha esse assunto é que é muito dificl e muito ruin foldar Ak pre flop pelo simples fato que muitos jogadores comentem erros pre flop shovando um range totalmente dominado por Ak! Muitos tem medo ou preconceito que Ak perde demais.Mas o call AK ao longo prazo sera muito bom vs a maioria de jogadores em toda rede. Raras as vezes foldar contra oponentes muito tights.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I find I do over play AK and it is a huge tournament leak.

P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is one of the strongest hands you can have. I don't understand how you can over play it. If you start folding ak, then what a are you going to play with. You can't just wait until you get aa/kk otherwise you will just end up being blinded out of the tournament.

Tinfoilchef

Tinfoilchef

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is one of the strongest hands you can have. I don't understand how you can over play it. If you start folding ak, then what a are you going to play with. You can't just wait until you get aa/kk otherwise you will just end up being blinded out of the tournament.

AK is indeed strong however what I've observed is that a lot of people play it like it was top pair when its basically a drawing hand that's looking to hit an A, K, a flush draw if they're suited or expecting to flop Q,J,10. I've been guilty of doing this myself.

Having had this realization I've changed how I play it. If I can either call or open for 2 or 3 BB then and only then will I play it. If it doesn't hit something on the flop then it's time to consider folding depending on the situation, continuing only if I can do so without putting much more into the pot unless/until I hit something.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to me you must play ak cbetting like aa. If you get called down sometimes you have aa and pays off sometimes not but im gonna push 99% of time.

Really frustrating though is when have ak and flop is a or k something and someone does have pockets aces or kings but thats poker:)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games where I'm only 100 or so BBs deep, I'm happy to get it all in pf, but when I miss the board, I'm a bit more wary. 2 overs is fine, but you'll often be against a pair.

In a tourney, it's a great hand to shove with and feel OK with whatever happens.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are a lot of players that can not let AK go regardless of the board and the action ahead of them. Its a premium starting hand. After that you need to address what is happening and be willing to let go.

F

freeloader

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I was taught that Big Slick was the best drawing hand ... but just that - A DRAWING HAND! Far too many players tend to play it as a made hand. This is the primary reason that another nickname for Big Slick is Walking back to Houston.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think one of my worst leaks is over playing any Ace... I need to remember that even Big Slick is a dog to any pair....only if I could..

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear/notice people say its only a drawing hand allot. I always reply with .. it's not just a drawing hand ... it's the best drawing hand.

Ekateriba Zapletnyuk

Ekateriba Zapletnyuk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think all to chance . you can have AK or AA , and lose for a player with weak hands , such as 23 or 64 , because he was straight.

Roman Tsygankov

Roman Tsygankov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, usually people overestimate this hand in postflop game, when thay have just a top pair with a good kiker .

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yup

I was taught that Big Slick was the best drawing hand ... but just that - A DRAWING HAND! Far too many players tend to play it as a made hand. This is the primary reason that another nickname for Big Slick is Walking back to Houston.

well said

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise against limper and re raise against fish but be careful when you get resistance from the nit by reevaluating the board.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Overplaying AK is as dangerous as slowplaying it in my opinion.
Theres nothing better than raise it substantially and analyze the other players' moves.
But if im on the verge of getting busted out and i get these cards, im always all in... hehehe

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you read some of the comments you'll see from there posts that AK is over played

G

GiggityyGoo

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u are right

a lottttt and then i mean A LOT of people overplay AK,
preflop, u "only" have around 65%

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like AK in a position I can see a flop. Nothing worse than that sinking feeling when you have AK in a big pot and the flop is 2,6,8.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think AK is a strong hand, but not to go all in pre flop, raise and see the flop, would consider my position to play those cards, my stack, etc.
I also play different if it is a tournament or if cash tables.
Often saw lose a whole stack or be out of a tournament by go all in preflop, AK is over played, i like to play them carefully.

cellait

cellait

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gained more than I lost this hand. So I enjoy when I go out with these cards

NateVest

NateVest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big slick definitely tends to get overplayed. I like to see flops with it before I get too crazy and out of line.

S

stone_d

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop its too strong to not play almost always. MB in very deepstack early stage in tournament... but than still...

greek132

greek132

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the player over play AK...but its a hand that if you dont have many chip you need to play aggresive