Open ended straights?

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
How do you play an open ended straight draw post flop? Are you aggressive or passive? Do you fold to a major raise ? With a 31% chance to making the straight do you only call a min raise?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As everything else "it depends". What were the preflop action and the positions of the players involved? Is it heads-up or multiway? What exactly is the board? Do you for instance have one or two overcards to go along with your draw, and is there also a flushdraw available? What is the stack to pot ratio? Is it a tournament spot with ICM implications? All of this goes into the decision making process. For more information about playing draws watch the video below:

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
How do you play an open ended straight draw post flop? Are you aggressive or passive? Do you fold to a major raise ? With a 31% chance to making the straight do you only call a min raise?
Yea I agree all that depends on a lot of factors leading up to where you are in the hand right now. One good thing about a straight draw is you tend to have good implied odds because when it hits it’s more hidden than the flush.
You only have 8 outs if you are just on an open ended straight draw so you your equity with one card to come you only hit the straight 16-18% of the time not 31%

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
As everything else "it depends". What were the preflop action and the positions of the players involved? Is it heads-up or multiway? What exactly is the board? Do you for instance have one or two overcards to go along with your draw, and is there also a flushdraw available? What is the stack to pot ratio? Is it a tournament spot with ICM implications? All of this goes into the decision making process. For more information about playing draws watch the video below:

I agree "it depends" on the situation. I have had numerous hands recently with the open ended straight after the flop including with 2 overs. I have both folded and called 2/3 pot bets based on the villain and the board. When you miss the turn it is hard to call another large bet to see the river. Do you call or fold? There again I have done both. For the record, I haven't hit an open ended straight this year.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the local situation.
The same can be said for open-ended straight draws and double belly busters.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Implied odds and range reading is the key to understand how we play these spots. How much will the V pay when u make the straight? Will your V stop betting river and let us bluff and win at a good frequency? Is the V betting large to get folds? If so then with what are they betting this way and how does that effect the earlier strategies I mentioned?
:unsure::geek:

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think we must play passive game if we have dro combination and try to make a full combination