Need tips, im a new player :)

hardplayer98

hardplayer98

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
Hello guys, at first im happy to be a member of the forum! :)
Sorry if the question is stupid but - what are your tips you can give to a new player like me to survive the freeroll tournaments with hundreds of players?
Im open for any strategies, because I don't assume there is only one "best" strategy.
I see players making calls straight at first hand and such folding 99/100 hands once they reach double the average stack.
This is my thoughts from what i saw and i don't know what strategy to build and to follow it stricktly, because this isnt like n go tournaments from 3 or 6/9 players , theres alot of ppl.
I've seen some kind of charts on the web, pure statistical, with chances of hands on the preflop, wether to call / shove it , or fold.

(Sorry if my English is bad, im from Bulgaria)

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

Remember that at the begining of the game people are not worried with their stacks
So go slowly
Near the bubble, extra care
ITM go for it with all strenght

Rgds

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi @hardplayer98

Here are some basic tips for surviving freerolls that I incorporate in my plays:
- Try and avoid all-ins. Even premium hands aren't guaranteed to win. At best its a coin flip for survival. There will be a lot of all-ins early on (alternative strategy if you don't like wasting time, All-in as soon as you have a decent hand and if you double up, awesome, if you get knocked out, free time!)
- Early stages, try to see as many flops as cheaply as possible. As the blinds go up, they won't be getting any cheaper. You want to get a double up early on and unexpected hands that hit do this the best.
- Middle stages, play tighter but look for players checking a lot. Try to bluff them.
- Approaching the bubble, this can be a lottery. Players will tighten up so try to bully short stacks, but be warned, this may backfire when they shove.
- ITM, pray for good cards

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Welcome to the fantastic poker world :) In my opinion: the best way to learn poker is to play a lot of poker reason:when you play there are to outcomes, either you win or you loose and learn to be a better poker player its kind of a win win situation.If you dont play you dont win and you dont become a better poker player.The only way to really loose is to quit playing poker. Observing other players is very important and that is easier to do when you have folded your hand.Look for if they fold often then you can try bluffing them more( I hardly ever try to bluff more than one player),if they never fold you can win a big pot with a weak hand.If they play a lot of hands the hands are probably weak, if they dont play a lot of hands they probably have strong hands.I think the most important with playing poker is to enjoy playing,find a playing style that suits you and you enjoy.

B

burba

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
Well at a freeroll you cannot loose anything but only win.
So a possible strategy is to go all in with any cards early stage and hope to double up. If you loose, you just play the next freeroll.
If you win you can play tighter with a bigger stack right from the beginning.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Freerolls, and especially Cardschat is a wonderful way to increase your bankroll and introduce yourself to the world of online poker. My best suggestion is maybe, not to go in every hand as I see newbies lots of times have a tendency to do. Welcome to the forum.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome to our community :)
Freerolls are different. There are hyper freerolls that are more like a lottery. There are turbo freerolls that are also quite dynamic, but in which skills will already play a more important role. And there are the usual classic freerolls such as our CardsChat freerolls where, in addition to luck, you must also have both skills and experience. Different freerolls should be played differently. But if you are patient, you will definitely have an advantage over other players.
Start with simple - do not play with junk :)

C

Cisne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bankroll management is more important than the tactic in poker. When building yours, avoid disputes with buy-ins above 1% of your bankroll

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello, new participant! Welcome! I didn't quite understand your question, but you've already been given some hints about the game strategy. Yes, there are opening range charts considering position - it's also a good idea to stick to such a style. Get comfortable, ask questions - you will definitely get help and advice.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Learn book and watch Tourmation poker on youtube

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello! I'm new here as well. As you might suspect, I'm not the best person to give advice but, tournaments are what I enjoy the most , and my entire experience comes from there. So, hopefully you can get some ideas from the way I see the game.
I usually try to "understand" how others play without taking unnecessary risks. Just playing the safest hands and paying special attention to plays where they show their cards. But hey, analyzing others is not easy, and many times they play in a very irregular way. So I'm going to focus on how I play, pretending for a moment that others don't exist.
In my case, I change my way of playing depending on the BBs I have:
My range is very wide If I have enough chips. Since I don't have to worry about the blinds, I play a lot of hands.
As my chips decrease, so does my range. When I find myself in this situation, I try to play safe. As a result of this, if I get pressured, I'm normally able to pay without too much hesitation.
Finally, when the blinds "hurt", and I can't afford too much. I go all in with the first pair or strong hand I have, hoping to: recover and be able to play like before.
It ends up being like a cycle, depending on the amount of BBs I have
This is the way I often play. It brings me the best results.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The charts "dumb" the game or try to simplify the reasoning behind playing a certain hand in a certain table seat. I would suggest you find out the WHY you play a certain hand ie a certain hand range in a certain table seat and WHY.

Those charts to me seem like they were developed for folks that could play countless sitin goes and tournaments and not have a care in the world if they lose with the reasoning that if you play a hand it "should" be mathematically possible to turn a profit IF YOU PLAY IT A COUNTLESS AMOUNT OF TIMES. The only problem is most people don't have the bankroll to wait for the odds to play out or the style of poker to wait.

Look for real understanding of situations and not blindly following a chart will take you a lot further in my opinon. Learn the charts AFTER you used your knowledge and you're still lost, not before.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in my opinion, it is necessary to follow a tacitly aggressive strategy, i.e. wait for a good hand and then play aggressively. try it and good luck

Poker Tips