Which is more important, strategy or luck?

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
With luck you can win 1 tournament, with strategy you can finish in many FinalTables, which can lead to several wins.
In the long term, strategy is always more important.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think strategy is more important than luck. One day I saw that the poker player Anette Obrestad won a tournament without even looking to her cards, only playing with her position.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One of the main reasons why poker is so popular is its mix of strategy, which is built once we have understood the game very well, and after a long journey of competition, it becomes an indispensable tool, and luck, a fundamental factor in reaching the top. Having a good plan can really make a difference, planning each stage of a tournament, with a certain game for each of them. Studying our opponents and devising ways to trap them in lies or leading them to safe destruction is the best thing. But as important as it is, none of this would work if the cards we have to play are not good, or more importantly, if we have a board that doesn't accompany us at all. That's right, luck has its weight, undoubtedly, but, and here finally comes the question, is there a way to mitigate the luck factor, with the strategy factor? and which of the two of us do we depend on the most? Undoubtedly a more philosophical question than practice.​
I would say that in poker there are three things:
Discipline, Patience and Luck.