Which is more important, strategy or luck?

xXFelaXx

xXFelaXx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the main reasons why poker is so popular is its mix of strategy, which is built once we have understood the game very well, and after a long journey of competition, it becomes an indispensable tool, and luck, a fundamental factor in reaching the top. Having a good plan can really make a difference, planning each stage of a tournament, with a certain game for each of them. Studying our opponents and devising ways to trap them in lies or leading them to safe destruction is the best thing. But as important as it is, none of this would work if the cards we have to play are not good, or more importantly, if we have a board that doesn't accompany us at all. That's right, luck has its weight, undoubtedly, but, and here finally comes the question, is there a way to mitigate the luck factor, with the strategy factor? and which of the two of us do we depend on the most? Undoubtedly a more philosophical question than practice.​

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi, friend
Actually your question is very important and I will give you my humble opinion.
I really think strategy is very important. Knowing how to play, knowing positions at the table, knowing when to bluff, or 3bet, or even when to make a big fold, are all part of a winning strategy that generally pays off well.
But this strategy must undoubtedly be accompanied by luck, and I will give it to you with 1 clear example
1st. you are in a tournament and they raise a bet after a turn in which you have for example 910 and the flop and turn are 567Q for example and you know that your rival can have 89 a straight and you also know that if an 8 comes and just an 8 on the river your hand becomes very strong. Now, you know that the possibility according to the outs that the 8 will come to you on the riber is totally minimal, and even so you risk everything. And it comes out how you wanted the river completes a 567Q 8 and you win a big stack. It could be said that if you decided according to your strategy to risk and you won, but in truth until the turn... you had the hand won???
The great truth is that in that situation you were lucky that the 8 appeared on the river, and if the 8 did not come out on the river, you could talk about ......bad luck???..... bad payment??? bad strategy???? I don't think so friend, they are simply game decisions.
Another hand that is given a lot in tournaments is the famous KK 3bet against an AA 4bet or even all-in. If they make you that 4bet and you have KK, what do you do???? you go 5bet??? you go all in??? do you fold??? do you call??? and well some of the decisions you have to make. The important thing is that the decision you make up to and including folding is always for your well-being in the tournament. In good hands, good decisions are always made and luck must also accompany the one who is winning the hand, as in the case of AA against KK. AA wins the entry hand before the community cards but let's remember that he has against him a possible straight, another K, a flush etc.
That is why, for me, strategy is fundamental, but in any case, luck should be with you.
From Algarrobo - argentina a big hug brother

xXFelaXx

xXFelaXx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, friend
Actually your question is very important and I will give you my humble opinion.
I really think strategy is very important. Knowing how to play, knowing positions at the table, knowing when to bluff, or 3bet, or even when to make a big fold, are all part of a winning strategy that generally pays off well.
But this strategy must undoubtedly be accompanied by luck, and I will give it to you with 1 clear example
1st. you are in a tournament and they raise a bet after a turn in which you have for example 910 and the flop and turn are 567Q for example and you know that your rival can have 89 a straight and you also know that if an 8 comes and just an 8 on the river your hand becomes very strong. Now, you know that the possibility according to the outs that the 8 will come to you on the riber is totally minimal, and even so you risk everything. And it comes out how you wanted the river completes a 567Q 8 and you win a big stack. It could be said that if you decided according to your strategy to risk and you won, but in truth until the turn... you had the hand won???
The great truth is that in that situation you were lucky that the 8 appeared on the river, and if the 8 did not come out on the river, you could talk about ......bad luck???..... bad payment??? bad strategy???? I don't think so friend, they are simply game decisions.
Another hand that is given a lot in tournaments is the famous KK 3bet against an AA 4bet or even all-in. If they make you that 4bet and you have KK, what do you do???? you go 5bet??? you go all in??? do you fold??? do you call??? and well some of the decisions you have to make. The important thing is that the decision you make up to and including folding is always for your well-being in the tournament. In good hands, good decisions are always made and luck must also accompany the one who is winning the hand, as in the case of AA against KK. AA wins the entry hand before the community cards but let's remember that he has against him a possible straight, another K, a flush etc.
That is why, for me, strategy is fundamental, but in any case, luck should be with you.
From Algarrobo - Argentina a big hug brother
Muy buena reflexion, al fin y al cabo, uno tiene que sentarse a jugar e ir construyendo su stack con las oportunidades que se encuentran, Saludos!! y Gracias por tu respuesta

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Strategy is more important than luck. Over time it is more important to have skill when playing, luck is not eternal

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
your strategy I belive that is more important then luck , my opinion that the luck is in the last 2-3 table of a tournament

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Think for yourself, would poker become so popular all over the world if everything depended only on luck? Thousands of people have chosen to play poker as their profession, they participate in tournaments and earn fabulous amounts. In poker, it is important to be able to think logically. Since this skill is more often attributed to men, we get an explanation why there are so many representatives of the stronger sex among professional poker players. If you get an unsuccessful combination of cards, if you use the right technique, there is a chance of winning.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck will always even out over time and is something you cant control so when you play games that involve luck it is better to not even pay attention to it. After you make your decision your work is done there and you should then move on to the next decision and try to get that one right.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Poker strategies are of course more important, especially if you're not on your lucky day

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I spend approximately 80% of my time attempting to improve my strategy & 20% on luck. I would spend less time on the luck part, but since that part involves gin & vodka & the consumption thereof .........................

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's no way you can want to play poker and want to depend on luck. Luck will help us in some situations but in the long run what will count is strategy and the ability to play.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck does not depend on you, but the strategy can be improved.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One of the main reasons why poker is so popular is its mix of strategy, which is built once we have understood the game very well, and after a long journey of competition, it becomes an indispensable tool, and luck, a fundamental factor in reaching the top. Having a good plan can really make a difference, planning each stage of a tournament, with a certain game for each of them. Studying our opponents and devising ways to trap them in lies or leading them to safe destruction is the best thing. But as important as it is, none of this would work if the cards we have to play are not good, or more importantly, if we have a board that doesn't accompany us at all. That's right, luck has its weight, undoubtedly, but, and here finally comes the question, is there a way to mitigate the luck factor, with the strategy factor? and which of the two of us do we depend on the most? Undoubtedly a more philosophical question than practice.​
for sure strategy is the most important thing in poker, I always like to compare. 95% strategy and 5% luck.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Strategy ist key in Poker. Luck will help from time to time, but playing with a good strategy will be successful in the long run.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The cards are important in poker, but at least as important is the ability to analyze and recognize the situation, which tactic is winning against which player.
Obviously, if a table is very weak, there's nothing you can do but wait for a good card and a good board, or you have to wait for the one transferred to another table during the tournament.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I take luck over skill anytime. So many professionals have sponsors. If a professional took all their entry fees and subtracted it from their winnings playing poker, very few professionals would have any funds left over.

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every strategy is going to crush without luck. So luck is more important.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Strategy is more important than luck. Over time it is more important to have skill when playing, luck is not eternal
Yeah, in theory or in cash.
But in reality for MTT one person got lucky in the beginning of their poker hobby/career, built BR and moved the stakes, etc. , the other got unlucky and got to the bad side of variance and ran BR to zero or was stuck to grinding low stakes and eventually got out the poker..

Luck is a lot more important than one thinks. But a player needs to know what to do with this luck.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everybody! By my opinion, in Poker (so and in Life) the all important: and strategy, and luck, and etc...
Necessary, that the all parts of your Poker successfully matched!

reraee1

reraee1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
80% skill 10% luck and 10% poker room

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Strategy is more important, but it also depends on luck.

S

stepashka321

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the main reasons why poker is so popular is its mix of strategy,
Poker is popular, that is really easy for human body. People plays it while work, while rest, and spend so little energy on it. Poker can do relax function for brain, it really can help with stress, if addiction to poker will not causing.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Except for the small sample short-term (where luck is more important), the most important is definitely strategy. Over the long-term luck balances out and strategy/skill edge prevails. This is one reason that keeping a proper bankroll is vital; it needs to be capable of handling the variance of the short-term things like luck.
If you are "unlucky" for years, then chances are that you aren't as unlucky as you think. Either the skill edge you believe to have isn't as big as you think, or the event isn't actually as "unlucky" as it is treated.
Pocket Aces is a good example of this; AA should win about 85 percent of the time against a random hand. AA is statistically the best possible preflop hand one can have. Many people realize this, but in practice they treat AA more like 100 percent equity and every time it loses as a traumatic event. 85 equity estimates winning 17 out of every 20 times. AA is EXPECTED to lose 3 out of every 20 times. That is a real amount. It isn't really sooo unlucky when AA just so happens to get cracked... ;)

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree with you, this question is philosophical. But nevertheless, I believe that skilled players have a better chance of luck, thanks to a more developed intuition based on their experience.

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It goes hand in hand
A bit of luck always benefits strategy