Math help?

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To work out your percentages add up your outs times it by 2 and add 1. So I have ten outs on the turn my percentage is 21%. Ten on the flop would be something in the region of 42 %. If you have percentages around 22% and above you should always bet or call

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to master a few simple mathematical concepts but you don't have to be a Harvard MBA to do poker math.

The rules of 4 and 2 as well as being able to determine your outs and pot odds. After that you're good for 99.99% of situations.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course it is. the ability to correctly determine pot odds and stack strength is pretty important

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
May the odds be ever in your favor.

515bastos

515bastos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think in live poker, math is a good tool!

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a Bachelor degree of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, but it still did not help me in poker. The only things that helped me are elementary mathematics, statistics, the ability to analyze.

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maths has an advantage of course

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, a math background does help.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes being good at math has advantages, the only "disadvantage" I see is that when it is given too much importance. I see people calling with fairly weak hands because of the compelling pot odds but the reality is they are probably going to lose so even if over the long run if it is the right call, I think it's not necessarily good tournament strategy.

almaihotz

almaihotz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill and using the ability to read situations and opponents to give you the advantage in each hand you play.It is also a game of mathematics, where you should be able to calculate the odds of winning the hand in any situation and give you an advantage.:cool:

paipingprung

paipingprung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The math is the easy part of playing poker..there's a lot of scared tight math geniuses out there

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Fale Marcos!

:D:D:D
O cara não precisa saber tudo de matemática, somente a matemática relacionada ao poker e ser bom de matemática é estar um passo adiante mas não significa que será um vencedor no poker, é necessário bem mais que isso.
É necessário:
-Disciplina
-Empenho no Aprendizado
-Paciência
-Observaçao
-Concentração
-Tolerancia a Bad Beats
-Auto Crítica
-Matemática do poker
-Conhecimento técnico
-Estrategia
-bankroll Apropriado
-Experiencia

The guy dont need to know everything about math, just poker math and it is a step forward, but it doesnt means that he will be a profitable player. It's necessary more than it, as:
-Discipline
-Effort in study
-Patience
-Attention
-To be observer
-To be focused
-Tolerance about bad beats
-Tolerance about actions of your opponents
-Self-criticism
-Poker math
-Suitable Bankroll
-Experience
-Technical knowledge and rationality
-Strategy knowledge and rationality
Because all this reasons is so hard to begin becoming profitable. All beginner players need to know and taking on it.
:D:D:D

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look, mathematics, being able to calculate pot odds, implied odds, outs etc is a poker basic. You simply cannot play optimal poker if you do not understand these concepts. You make the wrong bet amounts, and you call when you shoudl fold etc etc

But it is just one facet of playing good poker. I have a Bsc. in Computers and Mathematics, and it helps. But my biggest weakness is my poker emotional IQ. I get impatient grinding hours at live game, I let assholes at the table get under my skin, and I am a really bad loser. I would rather have lesser maths skills , but be more well rounded on the others.

If you want to be a great poker player, you need math skills, but you also need to develop other skills as well. Without being well rounded in all departments, you are swimming upstream.
Lots of good answers, but for me this was the best one. Thanks!