Limping with AA.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not if you are also doing it with the bottom of your range.
Limp/3-betting 45s just so that we can also limp/3-bet AA to better effect sounds like the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Yes, when you have the nuts, if you have bluffs in your range, you will get more action. Sounds like all the more reason to raise to me.

I like limp/3-betting in deep stacked cash games *only* as a bluff. As a short stack or in a tournament, it becomes more acceptable, but then again, limping as a short stack also is kinda a giant red flag if people realize you're not a horrible player.

So, in summary, I like limp/3-betting with aces if:

1) Stacks are very shallow.
2) People have no reads on you.
3) There are aggressive players late to act (CO-->BB).

Last edited:
atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise preflop every time with AA no matter what.

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not one example of limping with AA turned out good for me, I have maybe done it a couple of times and horror every time. I allways raise or push with AA.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As i said. AA is the best possible hand when u are heads-up with someone. But if there are more than 2 to see the flop, Aces only get u into trouble and most of the time broke. If an opponent is a maniac in my opinion u have to play some cards from time time and see how he is reacting. If he calls or reraise your raise most of the time u can simply raise with AA cose he will do the same if he has some cards .

Of course i saw experts limping with AA. The best example is a table with Johnny Chang, Howard Letherer and Gus Hansen when Howard and Johnny tryed to trap Gus the same hand , Howard with AA at the button i think and Johnny with AK at the SB. Howard limped,Johnny limped, Gus raised , howard reraised and Johnny went all in. Gus folded, Howard called and he ended up taking Johnny Chang out instead of Gus :)

BUt they are experts. They know when to fold AA when they see a flop an d the opponent reaction. How many of us will fold AA when they see a flop like 10 7 3 rainbow and the opponent is all in , even if we know our opponent is a reasonable person? I would not. I will go broke if the opponent gets a set.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No thanks. I will never limp in with an AA. They get by too cheap and can upset you with 2 pairs or if 4 players are in the pot it is less than a 50/50 proposition. I'd rather scoop the pot and not see the rest of the cards.

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always raise AA pre flop to take out limpers who could build a hand to beat u on pure luck

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meh, this thread is full of fail.

There are countless times I see fish go broke when they stack their AA on a wet multiway board after limping pre. If there are LAGfish at your table, surely you would rather bet to anticipate a 3 bet?! You will have to play the rest of the hand out of position and if you don't get raised pre, you're potentially in big trouble. Also if there are fish at the table, you have better chance of isolating them if you raise from early position - this is so incredibly important at micros, you want to play as many hands as you can with the fish, and if you practice good table selection, there will be one at your table you want to get HU with too.

The live example is fine but live poker runs a lot more degen than online cash and spots like that are understandable. The only time I would ever do it was if there was a tilty spewtard shoving 50bbs every other hand, other than that, just raise, no matter what the situation, I just cannot see limp/3betting being +EV, and whoever suggested doing it with the bottom of their range too?! :eek:

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your going to limp with AA utg or in ep...you have to be mentally prepared to fold it on the flop in a multi-way pot against resistance.

I agree that it can be profitable to limp with it UTG preflop when you know there is a player or two who can't help themselves but raise. This is where HUD's are 'very' useful if you have been against them for 50-100 hands at least.

dexon303

dexon303

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA number of times we helped the card to rise so many times me and pulled down! Normally always raised preflop when you have AA in your hand.

dantheman91

dantheman91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is you have to actually be good to limp pre-flop with AA. So, most people probably should avoid it..

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think on early position there MUST be a raise to "defend" aces against limpers. On late position limping can be an option (especially on button and SB position when everybody folds before), but the owner of the aces must be very careful.

C

cibonazg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can limp pocket aces only if you want to lose it...
you always need to raise preflop with that kind of hand...

tomines

tomines

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the last time i limped AA.. I lost all my chips... he ended up getting a straight
I was like this is bull!!!!hahaha.. i was also in the money that time.. cost me my tournament

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you could limp with aces if you're on the button or in the SB and everyone has folded to you and you're just trying to trick the BB to extract some value from the aces?

I guess?

Limping aces just sounds like the ugliest idea. =/

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Multiway hurts AA
But I usually raise them very modestly pre-flop (max 3BB), unless my stack is relatively small.

The goal here is to chase away suited connectors, but giving face cards and pocket pairs a reason to check out the flop. If I get re-raised it's RRAI time.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate when I lose to limped aces. And you must note it when it happens.
I'll limp with aces against short stacks from the cutoff or button if I'm in the green zone.

V

Vizzinzin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See but if you do that then more peopel can chase straights and flushes i mean if someone else bets and scares them off then you're safe but I'd really shoot myself in the foot if someone who limped in got their flush because no one raised..

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently looked down at AA UTG in a straddled pot at a table full of calling stations.

I decided to limp, as the person on the BTN likes to raise light in position, and everybody calls light preflop every hand. So in the event there is a preflop raise before the button, I'm getting a chance that a lot of people will call, and I can raise, I can almost certainly count on a raise from the button, and if not the stradle might have a decent hand they want to put a squeeze on the pot.

The end result? BTN raised, straddle 3-bet, I 4-bet, folded around, straddle jams with JJ. I fold.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What? you folded AA against a five bet jam preflop?

Last edited:
thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I decided to limp, as the person on the BTN likes to raise light in position, and everybody calls light preflop every hand. So in the event there is a preflop raise before the button, I'm getting a chance that a lot of people will call, and I can raise, I can almost certainly count on a raise from the button, and if not the stradle might have a decent hand they want to put a squeeze on the pot.

I don't understand this (or the part where you say you folded).

There being a high chance of a raise in late position isn't reason to limp, it's reason to bet.

When you bet, and someone 3bets IP then you can 4bet and you still likely have some air in your range.

When you limp, someone bets and you 3bet, not only is the pot smaller but you've got nuts or nuts (and no you can't balance a limp-raising range).
So the pot is smaller and your range is stronger. Doesn't this look like a problem?

Obviously keep in mind that this is just one scenario but I'm assuming the potential limp-raiser gets exactly what he wants: someone in LP who will raise with a wide range. If he doesn't have that then he's got even less reason to try and limp raise.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently looked down at AA UTG in a straddled pot at a table full of calling stations.

The end result? BTN raised, straddle 3-bet, I 4-bet, folded around, straddle jams with JJ. I fold.

Huh? Since when is JJ > AA. Sounds like everything went according to plan until you...FOLD?:eek: Are we missing some details here:confused:

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Is this a level?

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks good example.........gl
always a good idea to play fundamental poker. this only has to happen to you to know not to limp. hahaha take it from me.:willy: