Learning charts

C

Cazsh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've recently decided to take learning poker seriously and I've come across charts that tell you which hands to play when, my question is how do you go about learning these? Is it a case of print them out and look at the relevant one when playing or is there a way you've found where you can memorise them?

q3dm4pro

q3dm4pro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

Poker is a game of skill. For myself, I made my charts, how I play the hands AA, AK, KK, AQ, QQ and KQ. And as they fill in, I add other hands.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better to learn why you play specific hands and why you don't play specific other hands.

Hands have some important properties

1) Hand strength - odds of winning at showdown unimproved big pocket pairs and big Ace hands

2) Hand potential - odds of becoming a strong hand - set or better.

3) Domination and reverse implied odds - if you hit a good hand - top pair, what are the chances someone also has top pair and a better kicker.

4) Blocker value - holding certain cards reduce the combination of strong hands that can either 4bet or call you, so you can use them for 3betting.

5) Board coverage - this is more advanced, but if you lack certain cards in your range than villain can bluff you on boards that miss your range - for instance if your early position range lacks low cards.

So we aren't openning certain hands in early position due to the high chance of a dominating hand calling us.

We are 3betting with hands either for value (big pocket pairs) to get called by hands we dominate (we hold AK and they call with AQ, AJ, or KQ, or a variety of suited Ax hands), or to fold out hands that dominate us, or hands with blockers that prevent them holding strong hands (AK blocks 3 combos of AA, and 3 combos of KK, so they are less likely to 4bet). Our 3bet bluffs often come from the hands that are at the bottom of their openning range because it will fold out the worst hands in that openning range that dominate the hand we are 3bet bluffing with.

We are openning more hands in later position because there are reduced odds of someone having a strong hand, and we are more likely to be 'in position' and the most likely callers (BB, SB) are likely to be 'out of position' and we have better odds of stealing the blinds and antes.

We have some small pocket pairs, or mid suited connectors, or A5s/A4s/A3s/A2s in our early and middle position opening ranges to improve board coverage.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better to learn why you play specific hands and why you don't play specific other hands.

Hands have some important properties

1) Hand strength - odds of winning at showdown unimproved big pocket pairs and big Ace hands

2) Hand potential - odds of becoming a strong hand - set or better.

3) Domination and reverse implied odds - if you hit a good hand - top pair, what are the chances someone also has top pair and a better kicker.

4) Blocker value - holding certain cards reduce the combination of strong hands that can either 4bet or call you, so you can use them for 3betting.

5) Board coverage - this is more advanced, but if you lack certain cards in your range than villain can bluff you on boards that miss your range - for instance if your early position range lacks low cards.

So we aren't openning certain hands in early position due to the high chance of a dominating hand calling us.

We are 3betting with hands either for value (big pocket pairs) to get called by hands we dominate (we hold AK and they call with AQ, AJ, or KQ, or a variety of suited Ax hands), or to fold out hands that dominate us, or hands with blockers that prevent them holding strong hands (AK blocks 3 combos of AA, and 3 combos of KK, so they are less likely to 4bet). Our 3bet bluffs often come from the hands that are at the bottom of their openning range because it will fold out the worst hands in that openning range that dominate the hand we are 3bet bluffing with.

We are openning more hands in later position because there are reduced odds of someone having a strong hand, and we are more likely to be 'in position' and the most likely callers (BB, SB) are likely to be 'out of position' and we have better odds of stealing the blinds and antes.

We have some small pocket pairs, or mid suited connectors, or A5s/A4s/A3s/A2s in our early and middle position opening ranges to improve board coverage.

This is really really great advice right here! Thank you for sharing LetterRip :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I've recently decided to take learning poker seriously and I've come across charts that tell you which hands to play when, my question is how do you go about learning these? Is it a case of print them out and look at the relevant one when playing or is there a way you've found where you can memorise them?

In terms of learning the charts the easiest thing to do is focus on simplifying things.

What do I mean by that?
-Grouping the hands + Identifying the top and bottom of ranges

Examples of how yo u can group hands
-Pocket Pairs*
-Suited Aces*
-Suited Connectors*
-Suited Faces
-Suited Gappers
-Offsuit Aces*
-Offsuit High Card Hands*
-Offsuit Connectors

I have placed a start next to the5 groups that are the most important to remember.

If you can learn 'what's the worst pair I play in this spot' boom you've got your range, you only have to remember the bottom of the range (one hand) and all hands above it can be played.

This is the method if you just want to memorize the charts the easiest way possible. In addition to that using the information that was shared above about hand properties is a great way to learn the 'why' behind playing certain hands which makes it much easier to remember.

Great question and good luck on the tables!