Lead out bluffing vs Check Raise Bluff

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's a better bluff in the following scenario?

Let's say you put your opponent on a hand like AQ and the call their middle position raise from the BB with a hand like 76s . If the board come J 5 2 rainbow, is it better to lead out bluff knowing your opponent didn't hit or is it better to check-raise them (because they will almost always make a cbet if you check)?

I feel check-raise is a stronger play but it commits a lot more chips if you're wrong (where as if a lead bet is called, you commit a lot less chips and may choose to shut down if called on the flop)

Interested to know your thoughts in these types of situations.

Last edited:
Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any bluff ?

Any bluff that win is a good bluff continuation bets are important

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the Check Raise because I almost everytime check back to the Preflop agressor to see his cBets. It gives you some Info and the possibility to evaluate it.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Let's say you put your opponent on a hand like AQ and the call their middle position raise from the BB with a hand like 76s . If the board come J 5 2 rainbow, is it better to lead out bluff knowing your opponent didn't hit or is it better to check-raise them (because they will almost always make a cbet if you check)?

I feel check-raise is a stronger play but it commits a lot more chips if you're wrong (where as if a lead bet is called, you commit a lot less chips and may choose to shut down if called on the flop)

Thank U 4 Posting.

The villain you suggest who 100% c-bets should always be check raised when we have range advantage.
2 reasons for this.
1 We get more chips when they fold.
2 We put more pressure on them as few people check raise flop check turn so they have to expect 2 streets of betting. Players will check raise their 2 pair and set hands more often than lead them.
If caught making this bluff which we should be sometimes, this really helps us get lots of
value on our value check raises.
We can also get to showdowns more often than with a lead bluff check check line.

The lead bluff works best on very weak players who will fold to 1 bet. Most player pools do not have that many players who do that. We are also not representing strong ranges vs most of the player pool. We just are not leading our value hands often enough vs other players to warrant using this bluff that often.
It is a good bluff in tournaments when ICM is a factor.

Hope this helps
:):)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Based on what you have said check-raising is the superior play in this spot.

It does commit more chips, but you also win more chips, if you look at the size you are risking relative to the pot size in each spot you'll find you get similar odds on both plays.

That being said it's good to think about the 'types of hands' you'd want to check-raise bluff with vs the 'types of hands' you just want to check call with.

Then you'll start thinking about ranges and evolve your play very quickly.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you put villain on a very specific hand like AQ? There are plenty of combinations of Jx that villain would open with, including AJ, KJ, QJ, even JTs. Putting them on AQ also doesn't factor in the possibility that V could have QQ+ which are going to continue regardless of your x/r. There are better spots to check-raise from BB as a bluff, I'm not certain this one is it.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try both and look which is more profitable. I prefer X-Raise because you can be floated with same AQ which has 6 outs vs you made range also he has positional advantege.