JJ early position

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The JJ problem ( besides the bad beats lol ) is that many players overvalue the hand and up getting lost in the post- flop when it comes a letter greater than the J , I ​​think preflop you have to make a raise just trying to bring a player for post- flop.

Animylgamer

Animylgamer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Jacks under the gun is fairly difficult to play.

If this were me, I would make a fairly large bet on the flop (perhaps 5 times the big blind) in an attempt to steal the blinds

Gotta assume your opponent is:

:joyman: < :driver:

Just be prepared to watch out for your opponent to flatcall and try to just limp to the river.

"The turn can giveth...

...but the river can taketh away."

And THAT my friend is online poker and the:

HASH(tag)"Random"_Number_Generator

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing JJ utg

I'm having trouble playing JJ from UTG or first into the pot, any suggestions.:confused:

Fold it when you feel you are beat.

He's first in.

It's a raising hand. So raise, at least 4x. If you just get called, check any Qx or higher flop. If it checks through then bet any Jx or lower turn.

If facing a bet, float 1 and fold the turn (usually).

If you get raised preflop click it back and fold to a 5bet unless facing a short stack, then call.

J

JVal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the table your stack size other players stack size etc.

in general i limp

but i also limp with a lot of other hands in that situation so im not predictable in that regard

i could have aces

i could have 7 8 suited

remember that jacks are very vulnerable

A K or Q on the flop and you are in a very tough situation out of position

never be afraid to fold when there's an overcard on the flop

how the other players are playing is extremely important

if they are playing aggressive and you feel someone will raise, you can limp and if you think he's raising with garbage, you come back over the top and represent a really strong hand but really it's to isolate

you may even take the pot down right there

but dont do this unless youre able and willing to play out of position with jacks when the flop could have A K or Q on it that is a very tough situation as i said above

if you get called you will be at a really bad disadvantage

but flop could come T 7 2 too

raising utg is obviously also an option

but you must have a good read on the other players

do they respect your raise?

if you get re-raised will you know if you have him beat?

you could get called though then other people call and call and basically you lost the pot

it is a very tough spot as is playing anything in early position

good luck

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fundamental issue with a "how to play X from position Y" kind of question is that it denotes a singular strategy, or that certain hands "play easier." The reality is that no hands truly play easier, the goal simply changes. So AA for example, our goal is value. Within this goal we still need to identify our opponent's ranges vs. action tendencies, we need to manipulate the pot (to inflate it, rather than to control it) and we need to be aware of hands turning bad or spinning out super good and how to react to all that. With Jacks, it's no different, our hand ranges will just not compare as strongly.

So here's what I would say - UTG is tough to play because you need to have an idea of every other single player's tendencies at the table. That said, Jacks even against a table of unknowns is a value hand which can get called by a lot of things that are worse in equity. So open raise. Getting tricky with hands that often run into coin flip situations is a bad idea: DON'T LIMP.

By default, most better hands will 3-bet you. So fold to a 3-bet if you don't have information on the player. And definitely fold if your opponent plays tight. If you think your opponent has TT, AQ, and KQs in their range, rather than simply QQ+ & AK, you can 4-bet or call. When in doubt, OOP, fold it out.

In the majority of spots I'm going to continue the flop - the less broadway cards the better. Yes in general if the flop comes A 7 5 you're usually getting called by better and folded by worse - but at what point in this hand will KQ ever pay you off? And likewise, you can knock out the occasional AJ, AT, A9, or QQ hand that might flat your bet, and get a street of value out of 88-TT on occasion as well. If the flop comes K Q 9... well.. maybe I won't continue this flop as often.

Anyway, once the flop hits, about a billion situations arise so I can't spell all of that out. But in short: JJ is a value hand. Treat it as such.

A

Ace362

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That JJ video is hilarious. He should make another one for AQ. :D

A

ariel1986

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not good cards you nid to play slowly and see what comes on the plop and. Only then decide how you continue

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Esanu's answer. I play them aggressively in a tournament preflop and re-evaluate on what the board shows. In cash games I tend to much more selective with my aggression.

Deep Bhavsar

Deep Bhavsar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Raise 2.5x to 4x preflop, someone shows super strength decide from ther to call or shove, if no higher cards on flop your hand is probably good.. :)

koreano

koreano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have mentioned in a post on how to play AA UTG or UTG + 1. Always, that's a personal thing, I have a pair of 10 or +, I will always bet to 2.5x on BB. And for the position, make the C-Bet with 30% of the total pot or keep them on the 2.5 BB.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hiya Yetty. I would raise with JJ, but would not make a decision about what I would do if I were re-raised until I had weighed up my opponent who had re-raised me. Sometimes, it is obviously to early to make that decision, (say early in the tourney/ S'n'G), then I would probably just call and see what happened on the flop. Hope that helps....gl in the future........:D:D:D

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise...if someone re raise I fold....JJ is a tricky hand

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A good video on how to play JJ,check here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9CBtSW0kA

Might be a good way to play JJ, but he still got sucked out on. That's what happens to us all. I have decided now not to play JJ unless I'm on the button or in the blinds.............I like some/ most am just fed up with em! Played em twice yesterday and got beat, once by A7 o/s the other by 77 - he hit a set. GRRRR :D:D:D

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG i hate pocket jacks!... in fact that was my screen name when i was playing MTTs for a living, IH8PKTJACKS... hate them. But anyways, you have to play them its not like they arent a good hand and don't win at least half the time. Usually, i like to play them soft from early position just limping the pot at UTG or UTG +1 late in a tournament, or raising a large preflop raise to get a better read on my opponents at the table, say 4 to 5X the blindl preflop, but when you start varying your bet preflop it gives away information that your opponents can pick up on, so that isn't always a good strategy, but it is likely to give you a better read on your opponents. It is still hard to tell if you are flipping preflop though. If im going to raise big preflop early in position, then its likely going to be early in the tournament when i have plenty of chips behind and plenty to play with, and then if I get 3 bet i can get away from the hand if i want to. The reason i play them to a limp late in a tournament is so that i can see a flop and reevaluate my situation post flop, granted its not 3 bet by the time the action is back to me. They are a hard hand to play honestly, espeically late in tournaments, that is why my advice is to play them soft, almost like you are playing suited connectors because lets face it, they are about just as strong. If someone has a lower pair they could hit their set, if they have a higher pair they have you dominated, if they have suited connectors they could hit straights and flushes, and if they are playing any high cards KQ AK, AQ ect you could get outflopped. So its hard to say how you want to play the hand, Generally play them soft in early position late in tournaments, and hard preflop early in tournaments in early position. But never play them for your tourney life preflop unless youa re down to 10BBs or less, they really arent' that strong. I was in a 50k on a final table w them once in the BB w 8 blinds left. button moved all in w SB calling all of their chips as well, all 3 of us pretty low stacked 8-12 BBs. I waited awhile and thought i couldnt' lay the best hand because i was probably best. My opponents had AQo and 1010 respecively, Flop came AQ10! talk about killer, I busted 7th for 4500$... wasnt happy about it either! lol... I HATE POCKET JACKS!!! Good luck playing them! i know they are probably the hardest hand in poker to play.

AvaPoker13

AvaPoker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is really this hand is difficult to play it, so even with pocket queens . I after being eliminated in three tournaments play more cautiously , make small increases and large increases mild case and not hit the flop I end up giving up.

M

mikeisanace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider JJ just a jack with no kicker and a added bonus.

Say your in the big blind with j-9 off and flop A-4-J you check someone bets you fold same thing with pocket jj. You have the hooks in 3rd postion make a 3 times raise to hands like q-k-a-j and 99. Flop comes q-2-9. You should check and probably fold to action. It's all about the flop if it comes 44-ace you check someone bets.. From here a call is good the turn could come a jack or a miss. If the players bets again maybe a call down is good because this is a bluff board it depends on your opponent. If he is a rock assume a-x with 44 as 2 pair. A tag may be a call down whereas a maniac is a call down or re-raise. Betting your 2 pair on the flop is no good here because a player with a-q might just call then check the turn initiating a trap to you this bad. This why a check call is good unless it's a very big bet that looks like someone trying to protect their hand.

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good raise is a must here, the rest depends.