JJ early position

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is just like any other top pair like 10 10 , 99 , 88 . They are just hard to play early position sometimes. youre not guranteed a pot, you just gotta play it as best as possible and fold when you feel its beat.
Hate all of them except 1010 caus your holding the keys to alot of potential straight bluffs

xaxawa

xaxawa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with JJ on UTG I'm raise 3BB.
If low flop - pot bet.
If AKQ on flop and action from opponent - pass.
After 3 bet - call.
sometimes I can go all in. Because JJ - good hand.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the intention of call 3 beta)

P

post1ngher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have been crushed with this hand for so many times. Even in position.
I think you should play it as normal as you can. Bet, 3bet, call.. if short stack until 20bb you can start shoving preflop. If not, Playing the flop is the way. Try to put your opponent in a hand. Low rainbow flops would be playable. 2 over cards would be a nice check fold. or Cbet and give up afterwards if your opponent calls or raise you. 1 card Higher than you still able to bet and play the hand. if u scary play it smooth adopt check call, check fold is also a good strategy OOP.
Do never forget to consider the stacks, the characteristics of your opponent. Is he/she tight? loose? bluffer? would he play draws aggressively etc.

I will tell you a hand that I got eliminated on a Live MTT.
It was near the bubble, I was playing tight as my opponent.
We had about 25-30bbs.

He opened raise from early position 3x=6bbs, everyone folded and I looked down for Jacks.
I called. everyone else folded.

Board: Q73r POT: 16bbs.

He cbet about 8bbs and I call. I was scary of the queen and adopted the call strategy if the coming cards would be rags.

turn came an 5non suited.

He second barreled for another 10bbs and I called.

River came an Ace and he shoved his remaining chips. I just folded showing him jacks knowing at that time that I was beat and he just showed me AK and said nice hand. Some other player said I should have raised him on the flop or turn. Probably I would win the hand right there. But I didn't. so... I was left with a few blinds shoving Arag suited and got eliminated by AJo.
Let me know what you think about the hand.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some other player said I should have raised him on the flop or turn. Probably I would win the hand right there. But I didn't. so... I was left with a few blinds shoving Arag suited and got eliminated by AJo.
Let me know what you think about the hand.

It is easy for other players to say you should have raised after the cards are shown. You got the player to put chips in while you were ahead and folded when you were beat. I think you played the hand good and got unlucky. I would have played it the same or folded on the flop. I wouldn't have raised or re-raised either.

D

danigames1984

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like this hand either, it's very dangerous hand.I always raise 3 bb so nobody sees the flop, if that don't work, and the flop is not favoured to me i fold, noet an AK QQ KK AQ or other good hand always beat me...

L

live45thst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
playing JJ utg

I'm having trouble playing JJ from UTG or first into the pot, any suggestions.:confused:

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Jacks under the gun is fairly difficult to play.

If this were me, I would make a fairly large bet on the flop (perhaps 5 times the big blind) in an attempt to steal the blinds.

If you encounter any re-raises, it will depend on the type of player who re-raised you and whether you think you are beat. If you suspect that they don't hold QQ, KK or AA, then shove. If they are a tight player, then fold.

If people call you but no one re-raises you, then make a continuation bet on the flop of roughly the same size as your preflop bet (5 big blinds).

If there are any overcards on the board (Q, K or A) and people call or re-raise your C-bet, then I would almost always check/fold from that point onwards.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need more information, a stack size, the opponent style, table dynamics, the stage of the game.

On your question, I can only say that if you have more 25bb open raiese 3bb, average stack 25-15bb raise 2bb and less 13bb only shove.

kasper447

kasper447

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pair of jacks can be compared to a hand AK, in the sense, that looks good, and a lot of hard to win. "Jackie" raise many questions, for beginners starting to think about his game: how to play, how much to bet, when to fold and when to go all-in.

The basic mistake - the wrong assessment of strength pair of jacks. Although they look very decent hand, you should not aspire to put into the pot as much as possible of their chips before the flop. Adequate rivals are unlikely to play with you and without an ace, king or lady, and therefore on any flop, which come these cards, you will feel very uncomfortable. Especially if you have previously invested in the bank a significant portion of your stack.

K

kisintin01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the table with stacks of long, probably can! Sometimes! limp jacks, but only with the idea to catch hidden nuts (and to diversify the game), but it is somehow difficult to ...
If you flop a jack and two overcards, here the danger straight, so that you can set a lot of money is lost (though if rivals are ready to leave his entire stack with top pair, then this option is not bad.). If Jack and 2 undercard, it set no pay, and if someone is going to invest money in the bank, you will surely have to make a lot of difficult decisions: his bottom set? Does he call with a draw? Or has it already caught the Street? Or maybe he did bluffing with 2 overcards? Then draw on the turn will reach all may become worse.
Cozy all you can feel when one overcard and other small undercard. Then, if your opponent catch top pair, he can pay a lot if he vmazhetsya the lower set, it can leave your entire stack.
In any case, on a table with a short stack, I would not limp at all jacks.

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play it aggressiv, until I get resistance in heads-up situations. In multiway pots I slow down on very coordinated boards or when there a lot of higher cards on the board.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi friend, what kind of game you have difficulty playing JJ pocket ? MTT , SNG or cash ? you have many ways to seek the best move with them, but depends largely on the game you play, and of course, your opponents .. wrong .acho you play pre 5x , and bluff your JJ as the friend said there ... JJ pockt has a very great value to you turn into a bluff ...

L

live45thst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey bud, thank you by the way. i have basically played cash games for the most part, but for the last 6 months have started venturing into MTT's. i have tried to slow play them against loose players and play them aggressive against tight players but it seems not to consistently work either way i go.

L

live45thst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the table with stacks of long, probably can! Sometimes! limp jacks, but only with the idea to catch hidden nuts (and to diversify the game), but it is somehow difficult to ...
If you flop a jack and two overcards, here the danger straight, so that you can set a lot of money is lost (though if rivals are ready to leave his entire stack with top pair, then this option is not bad.). If Jack and 2 undercard, it set no pay, and if someone is going to invest money in the bank, you will surely have to make a lot of difficult decisions: his bottom set? Does he call with a draw? Or has it already caught the Street? Or maybe he did bluffing with 2 overcards? Then draw on the turn will reach all may become worse.
Cozy all you can feel when one overcard and other small undercard. Then, if your opponent catch top pair, he can pay a lot if he vmazhetsya the lower set, it can leave your entire stack.
In any case, on a table with a short stack, I would not limp at all jacks.
I have always pegged player as tight , passive, calling stations, loose, aggressive and so on. you may have hit on something that i have never looked at stack sizes for this situatuion. thank you

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PMSL at that video... King and 2 Queens on the board and he still backed his crushed Jacks to win ! LOL

I'm a newbie at this game, but I'd just call and play like a small pocket pair... If the flop is favourable bet hard to just take the pot down there and then... if there is an overcard I'd try to get to a showdown if the betting is weak... but any aggresive betting I'd fold... If raised after limping in I'd probably call up to 3xBB but play very cautiously after that...

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must raise anyway. If someone re-raise - call and see flop. If someone all-in, see how player is. In tight case - fold, in loose - call. If someone calls - continue raise after flop until villain re-raise. Then act depending on circumstances.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many threads regarding playing the JJ.

Personally, it is really a hard hand for me since majority of time, Im losing with it.

Now, I consider it just a small/baby pair.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very funny video BUT I will still play JJ from any position. From early position, I would probably make a min raise and then call a small re-raise (else fold). After the flop, if J were the top pair, I would bet big to try to take it right there. If not top pair, then I would be much more cautious. If I manage to hit trips, then I would play depending on opponents, and try to maximize my win.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That pocket jacks vid is pretty funny.

L

live45thst

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many threads regarding playing the JJ.

Personally, it is really a hard hand for me since majority of time, Im losing with it.

Now, I consider it just a small/baby pair.
I guess from now on I will treat them as that and just call and if i dont like the flop let them go.