Jacks - how to play this hand?

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the Jacks,try not to complicate my tournament life and mainly play on the flop(well, again it depends on the size of the stack).
I quite agree with you, but with such hand it is possible and on a preflopa to lose counters much.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a really trouble hand if you play it wrong, and it's not easy to play JJ, since you need to have good position and know your opponents. Today i was playing a tournament on ponerstars, i was Small blind with AK, and as there were 4 limpers before me, I moved all in pre flop, and only 1 guy called, he was holding JJ, and guess what? No Aces or Kings appeared on the table and I died there hahaha. I know I played it wrong, but I was trying to rush.

Z

zzvictor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on MTT structure, your position, players ranges (their opening ranges from each position/their calling ranges from each position/3-4-5bet range), how deep or short stack you are, how deep or short stack your opponents are, ICM etc. there are cases where you should fold hands like AA even.

You can attempt to set mine with JJ eg. calling in position vs early raisers. You can easily shove any position if you are around 10 bigs (long as you are being careful with the money bubble), would recommend not making any weird raise early position with JJ only as your opponents can easily exploit this (they will have an easy time if they easily put you on a hand), I've folded JJ utg in the past when I was in a tournament with a healthy stack was also fairly new to the game vs strong players (ended up 4th).

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends what position and how to behave opponents bet, but I can easily throw this hand)))):D:D:D

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And they say poker is dead

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tournaments I play with a hand of JJ than in cash games less.Just playing a tournament it is possible to make a mistake what will affect a further game in a tournament.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And I always thought David & Victoria Beckham were the most awful couple :D

Yep jacks can be a bothersome hand, but I still love them!! I think I have lost more with kings than jacks. :D

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I at one time started a report on this hand! 7 consecutive me killed! But then it all ended! Now for me JJ ordinary hand without mysticism!

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Jacks are commonly referred to as "Fish Hooks" because "fish" have a hard time letting them go.

Consider though, that over 50% of the time, there will be an overcard to the flop, and that increases to 70% by the river. They dont hold very often.

That makes a lot of sense, this fish seems to have been hooked multiple times :(

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on my position and the amount of my stad might know if I push or I simply call to see that shows me the flop

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often lose with such a hand, I think this is the most problematic hand, it is not so easy to win. As you play this hand? And how often do you drop it?
JJ is easy to play, just as any pair is,
Pre-flop: Fold/Call/Raise depending on position and/or action before you.
Flop: C-bet/Check-raise/Fold, again depending on action before you and board texture on flop.

Just don't overvalue JJ.

Jauheni Danilenka

Jauheni Danilenka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ middle pair. The all-in move of course it is not necessary, but to make a call or a small bet can be, if the opponent is not aggressive.

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I always thought David & Victoria Beckham were the most awful couple :D

Yep jacks can be a bothersome hand, but I still love them!! I think I have lost more with kings than jacks. :D
Here I am ready to argue with you)

U

uready4dis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me its QQ, that hand hates me for some reason haha, i always lose.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol this brings back memories.... I think my firrst post was the exact same topic

Best advice play them like AK. Dont shove or fold pre (unless its a crazy pot) play them agg with i nice board

H

HEFOLK132

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With what? David and Victoria? Or Kings losing more for me? :p
No, David Beckham, is David Beckham, here it isnt even necessary to argue))).I into the account of Kings))

S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, JJ is no better than 22 or 99 or AK

It all depends on the flop and the players who are in. But if you slow play it, you are doomed and if they have two overs, you are doomed as well.

Its just depends on the players and their play to know how you play it. Should raise pre in tournaments or go all in depending on the stack and blinds.

JJ in cash is actually no better than 22.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJs are only a pair post flop. Once you understand that first point, then you play some poker post flop.

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you say that JJ is a bad hand, you must always keep in mind that in actual fact JJ > 1010 > 22, and JJ should be a hand which you value fairly highly. However, you must also bear in mind that it is not a monster, and if you face raises and reraises and shoves then it's not a case of going for it no matter what with JJ. It is a good hand, but it's not so good that you can never fold. Think about the odds you're getting compared to your opponents ranges in any of these spots. Quite often there might be a spot where you feel you have to call with JJ when in actual fact your opponents range might look like JJ-KK,AK, sometimes AA, which you are clearly crushed by. Think logically before you call a shove after a lot of raises for 30BB.

JJ are fairly awkward postflop, but I don't mind them too much. Sometimes they are an overpair, sometimes they are a set, sometimes you get an overcard and you're going to need to try to get to showdown rather than continuing to bet and raise. Out of position the hand is admittedly quite sucky with overcards, but as long as you are relatively confident of your opponents range you should be able to make sensible plays with it, as with any hand.

My least favorite hand is 22 by the way, really bad hand in tournaments. You can't invest a large amount of your stack with it preflop without having to go all in or fold, it flops absolutely nothing most of the time, it doesn't have the straight potential of other pairs, and you have to get it in and sometimes even call shoves if the price is right with it but you are almost always flipping or behind. Guess I need a thread on that ;)

delta50

delta50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im happy pushing from the button with JJ, but as regards calling all ins with 2 all ins in front of me im folding.i never play any hands the same way,maybe raise or flat call any mini raises,all depends on how im feeling and the state of my stack and how close to the money i am etc etc,so many things to consider before deciding what im going to do with JJ.

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With pocket jacks I do raise before the flop and on the flop continue to play aggressively, even if the fall is one of the older cards flop. But sometimes I fold when tight players, and they do to a raise and reraise before the flop,

R

Ricardas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how you plaubthis hand, I like this hand!!

Istvan Gal

Istvan Gal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like JJ, usually i have luck with them

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands