Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One thing I hear is people who say they dont have time to improve there games or they are so tired they cant concentrate on studying the game. Another comment is they are playing so much they dont have the time to work on the game.

One top pro worked on his game for 6 months not playing to become better prepared to play poker. The question is was it worth it? 2 WPT titles makes me say it was.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and is it a good idea? I think I will be finding out if taking the time away is worth it or not.

Recently I have struggled on the tables and in life. With so much going on I have been tired and irritable when playing. I have not really been enjoying the game after being harassed on the tables by a player as well. While being exhausted and annoyed I and also very invigorated. I have decided to take April off from playing. Well after this weekend I wont play. Instead of playing i am going to get 30 days of good nights sleep. I will watch a move or 2 and............ will be working on my game. Instead of playing so much my goal will be to put 100 hours into studying the game.

Over the years I have taken poker vacations when tired or burned out. Most last just 2 or 3 weeks so we will see if I hold out as long as I want. But the study time is what I really need to accomplish. SO if you wonder where I am at next month..... now you know. :)

O

Ortwin1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you approach the study during april. What are the topics you will focus on?

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I also need some time to study and improve my game, I will dedicate a few hours a day to study and improve my knowledge and techniques. Thanks

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should have a plan that benefits you in several aspects, I think you can improve your game by studying a lot and playing more, having a time for study will make you form a good plan and a good strategy to put into practice at the tables, that's why you can do it that way, but in general everyone has their own method of learning and study.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How do you approach the study during april. What are the topics you will focus on?

I am going to review my recent play 1st to see what is any bad habits or leaks have entered my game. Once I find any I will work to make sure that's noted and look into better opportunity to play smarter in those situations. I am then going to work on ranging certain player types better and post flop play when against certain player types. I have done well in this area but there are time were I am certain I am over calling and over folding in those areas. I will also be working on my mental game. I dont tilt much but I do realize my attitude could be affecting my game. I believe the lack of sleep is getting to me but am concerned I let one players action get under my skin a bit. Meditation well be used there to get me back o my normal self.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Now see, this is where I shine... Taking a vacation. :driver: Man, it's nice to know that there's some places in the world where poker doesn't exist or matter. For me it's out in nature. Fishing or just checking out the landscape/scenery can be a serene-filled experience; humbling, even. It's also fun to go the other way and check out some museums, shows, and night-life in a city. I run up and down I-35 here in Texas every week so the diversity of "activities" are nice. Every now and then I'll take a week off from poker, myself, and take it all in. Then come back on the weekend and clean up in some tourney. So I understand taking time off from playing/grinding to "shake it all off", sorta speak.
Taking time to work on your game sounds cool. That can only be good for you. Hey, have you ever read the book, "Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hansen? It's an awesome read. I highly recommend it if you haven't.
Well have fun and be safe, man. GL. :hello:

Last edited:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
you should have a plan that benefits you in several aspects, I think you can improve your game by studying a lot and playing more, having a time for study will make you form a good plan and a good strategy to put into practice at the tables, that's why you can do it that way, but in general everyone has their own method of learning and study.

Totally agree with you and I do have a game plan. The reason I dont want to play at least at 1st is my mental game is off as well and once I get that fixed I could start playing again while training. One bad thing is when I play more I am less likely to study as much. I really want to work on my game is certain areas before i start to over grind again.

Now see, this is where I shine... Taking a vacation. :driver: Man, it's nice to know that there's some places in the world where poker doesn't exist or matter. For me it's out in nature. Fishing or just checking out the landscape/scenery can be a serene-filled experience; humbling, even. It's also fun to go the other way and check out some museums, shows, and night-life in a city. I run up and down I-35 here in Texas every week so the diversity of "activities" are nice. Every now and then I'll take a week off from poker, myself, and take it all in. Then come back on the weekend and clean up in some tourney. So I understand taking time off from playing/grinding to "shake it all off", sorta speak.
Taking time to work on your game sounds cool. That can only be good for you. Hey, have you ever read the book, "Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hansen? It's an awesome read. I highly recommend it if you haven't.
Well have fun and be safe, man. GL. :hello:

Fishing is something I may do but its still to cold here. I want to see a few movies and practice soccer with my son. Actually going to a museum is a great idea. I have a very well read copy of that book. Your not kidding about it being a great read. Love that book. In the past once I start playing again after a poker vacation I have done well. Amazing how much better you can play after a small break.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Totally agree with you and I do have a game plan. The reason I dont want to play at least at 1st is my mental game is off as well and once I get that fixed I could start playing again while training. One bad thing is when I play more I am less likely to study as much. I really want to work on my game is certain areas before i start to over grind again.

Fishing is something I may do but its still to cold here. I want to see a few movies and practice soccer with my son. Actually going to a museum is a great idea. I have a very well read copy of that book. Your not kidding about it being a great read. Love that book. In the past once I start playing again after a poker vacation I have done well. Amazing how much better you can play after a small break.

Right!? It's already warm, here. The white-bass are about to move into the creeks and rivers so that's gonna be awesome. Have you ever fished for white's? It's the most fun I've ever had fishing from the bank. I literally get tired of catching fish. No kidding; my finger tips start to get raw from unhooking so many. Get that "anglers' elbow". It's easy to fill a stringer in about an hour. I remember, one time, I used up my lures and had to get creative in the field so I found a decent looking leaf that felt durable enough to withstand a bite or two and fastened it to a hook w/an 1/8 oz. bullet-weight and BAM! Caught another 30 or so. It was like making fire from rubbing sticks or something, lol.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Right!? It's already warm, here. The white-bass are about to move into the creeks and rivers so that's gonna be awesome. Have you ever fished for white's? It's the most fun I've ever had fishing from the bank. I literally get tired of catching fish. No kidding; my finger tips start to get raw from unhooking so many. Get that "anglers' elbow". It's easy to fill a stringer in about an hour. I remember, one time, I used up my lures and had to get creative in the field so I found a decent looking leaf that felt durable enough to withstand a bite or two and fastened it to a hook w/an 1/8 oz. bullet-weight and BAM! Caught another 30 or so. It was like making fire from rubbing sticks or something, lol.

Yeah the north east weather is still not good for fishing. Way 18 out yesterday morning. LOL. Never had a chance to fish for white Bass but sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

i would definetly take time offf from the game to study and improve my game. Of course , then you have to play to see if you have absorved what you learned.

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
WOW...... this thought has never crossed my mind, but why not??? I would have thought to 'work through it' would be more helpful but I expect you to come back and kick some butt. I wonder if it will take a few days to get "back into the groove" or if you will gain the use of your learnings right away. I sure hope you let us know how you do when you come back...... I also wish you the best of luck in your improved life and table.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listen to your inner self; walk away.

. If you structure your time around poker, and you can tell it is affecting you, it might be time to cut back. To what degree, is an individual answer.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i would definetly take time offf from the game to study and improve my game. Of course , then you have to play to see if you have absorved what you learned.

Agreed I will need to play later on and observe it goes. Ive done this in the past to good results but this time i am looking to do a deep dive into my studies as well. Will be interesting to see what happens.

WOW...... this thought has never crossed my mind, but why not??? I would have thought to 'work through it' would be more helpful but I expect you to come back and kick some butt. I wonder if it will take a few days to get "back into the groove" or if you will gain the use of your learnings right away. I sure hope you let us know how you do when you come back...... I also wish you the best of luck in your improved life and table.

when I did this in the past It was interesting that I was so easy getting back into the game. My results were not always great right away but more times that not I would play well and actually do better than I was doing when I took the break.

. If you structure your time around poker, and you can tell it is affecting you, it might be time to cut back. To what degree, is an individual answer.

Agreed and why I am taking the break and I will be cutting back a bit once I start playing again. Poker is something I really enjoy playing but if its affecting me in a negative way it is great to just take some time off.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If one does not take time to study and learn where the leaks are in his game then he will continue to make the same mistakes and get the same results. So, if one wants better results the first step is to identify leaks and plug them. Most definitely take time away from playing and study if your desire is to improve.
Jim:D

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There may come a time when you just study and don't play poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
4 days in and found some interesting information on my game. There is a lot of places to work on my game and I am now concentration on those area's of my game.

So far feeling much more rested but missing the game a bit. I am slightly behind on the study time I wanted to complete but doing our taxes killed a full day on me. I am happy to say my attitude is much better now.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well i'm just starting to play poker right now but i 'm a professional saxophone player. When i was taking classes and owrking with music the time i got vacations i would try to really give a break of it. And when the calsses are back i was surprised with my teachers saying that i evolved and were playing better. I believe this can be true in poker as well.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm recently noticing a correlation between some study and improved results literally on the day of playing. Its a small sample and not on any way scientific, but I feel like its kind of just putting me in the right frame of mind to make good decisions.

Often I rush from life straight into poker, I'm neither concentrating fully, or focused on my individual hands, and of course the results can suffer, variance aside.

Even something small such as a re watch of a video from the CC 30 day course can be enough to get my head in the right place.

So I think that in this way some study can almost be a form of meditation for me, as its clearing my mind of recent results, bad beats, wins, etc, which allows me to think more only about the games in front of me.

Its def a goal of mine to study more this year, although I'm not yet sure a month off would work for me, I'd be itching to try and put the study into practice!! :eek::eek:

I hope you have a great break, and it really does the trick to bring you back next month rejuvenated and ready to crush it. I'll try and remember to avoid your tables during May!! :D:D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yes. I believe we get better studying. I would not be studying if it is poker season though. Like if cardschat freerolls are on monday and thursday, you can study the other 5 days and have no need to miss the monday and friday freeroll. Should not pass up a chance to earn free money.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most try to balance playing time with study time, but I think it's a good idea to take time just to improve. lol :):D

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to play to improve the game of poker you always have to play many many hands you must handle a lot of knowledge of probabilities, you must also make decisions about your strong hands at the poker table. :D

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
You can only improve while playing therefore ...

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't there a saying like this?

Practice takes to perfection.

Gotta be 50/50.

50% study and 50% practice.

Top 10 Games