I'm Confused

J

JLinTx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a four-flush after the Flop you have 9 cards out of 47 twice to make your flush. Which breaks down to roughly 1 to 1.5. And if you miss on the Turn you have 9 out of 46 which gives you odds of roughly 4 to 1. My question is this; if I'm not going "all-in" on the Turn should I look at the Turn and the River as individual chances to make the Flush. Two 9 out chances? Because if I miss on the Turn it is likely that the Villain is going to bet again and then I have to hope my pot odds equal 4 to 1. So why shouldn't I look at it as two separate events?

Secondly, say I'm protecting against a Flush hitting. If there is $100 in the pot and I bet the pot ($100) then my opponent is getting 2 to 1 on his money and since that is less than the 1 to 1.5 chances of hitting he should make the call, right? (Of course that changes if the Turn and the River are looked at as separate events.) But, for the sake of this discussion say his odds on the Flop are 1 to 1.5 (18 outs out of 47 unknown cards), I should "overbet" the pot to deny him pot odds, right? This seems to make sense to me but I hardly ever see anybody overbet the pot unless they are going all-in.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and advice on this matter. Thank you.