Can I start a poker career with freerolls?

Can I start a poker career with freerolls?Post a Poll

• Total voters
G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To start is the right thing to do, when you have confidence and profits you can advance to higher value tournaments and so on until you reach objectives and bigger prizes

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can start a career from freerolls. The important thing is versatility in the beggining, because you'll probably play several different game formats before choose "the right one" to grind hard.

I mean, you can build a safe bankroll from freerolls. When you reach something like 5 bucks you can start trying FLHE or even some NL2, playing very tight ABC poker. But the variance can beat you very fast in this early stage. So maybe you'll have to start all again many times. But the thing is not waste too much time with freerolls, because this is far from real poker grind.

You should try spins, sngs, ring games before move to MTTs. And is kinda funny start from freerolls because tournaments are, by far, the most complicated format to really profit from poker, because takes real grind to beat the variance.

So is hard work. Don't expect free tickets all over the way.

AmyricoLiliana

AmyricoLiliana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think to practice and experience free freerolls is worth going to
There are a lot of places where you can win tickets. A lot of times you can win a little more money. You can start from that, too. For example, unibet has freerolls every 2 hours. He's giving me a ticket. But with a ticket you can sit in a tournament where you can win, say, 1 or 2 euros... You can win Sng or Hexapron from 😉
Good luck to 😊🍀

P

Poeffy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think to practice and experience free freerolls is worth going to
There are a lot of places where you can win tickets. A lot of times you can win a little more money. You can start from that, too. For example, unibet has freerolls every 2 hours. He's giving me a ticket. But with a ticket you can sit in a tournament where you can win, say, 1 or 2 euros... You can win Sng or Hexapron from 😉
Good luck to 😊🍀

Yes, made it with tickets to the buy-in of €250 from zero.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think that is how you should do it. If you build your roll from freerolls and then eventually have enough to play buyins you are probably less likely to go against proper bankroll management.

AmyricoLiliana

AmyricoLiliana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations from the bottom of my heart
I wish you every success
Tell me how far you've come if you want to 😊
I used to start out in a plain freeroll, at the end of 400 I was able to desi dere 😊

Yes, made it with tickets to the buy-in of €250 from zero.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it can happen, but you can acquire bad habits playing freerolls.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Be prepared for many maniacs to call and shove with very marginal hands. With 2 live cards they will knock you out frequently. And playing tight usually leaves you out of chips in a hurry due to quick level format in freerolls. So play all your starting hands hard and when you get on a roll you can amass enough chips once in a while and get to the money and a bit more 'sane' poker playing. Good luck...

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s a good start that you’re getting out there to play, and gain knowledge. Such is our strive in life to betterment. You have to know yourself, bankroll, and be in control of your emotions. Practice, practice, and more practice. Playing with advanced players will make you better, but it will be a challenging departure from the players at freerolls and lower stakes.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing ACR freerolls a few years ago, played a bunch of them and when I earned a couple of dollars I entered a 2.20 tournament and finished 2nd (got it in good HU but lost to a cooler, still thrilled with the 175 prize)... fast forward to today and I've run my ZERO NOTHING NADA ZIP ZILCH into four figures... so can it be done? Of course it can be done. After the Black Friday mess here in America back in 2011, I vowed to never deposit (or withdraw!) ever again... and I haven't... but I can still play poker as much as I want to, anytime I want... and it hasn't cost me a penny. I hope I run it up to 5 figures or even 6, and I still won't cash it out and pay the stupid government their tax tithe. They don't deserve it.

I'm also trying to do the "Zero To Hero" challenge on BetOnline but due to fewer freeroll opportunities (CardsChat being far and away the best option there which is why I joined CC) and due to much smaller tournament fields and prize pools, I've only been able to run it up to 50 bucks as my high point, currently i'm around 30 so it's been a very tough grind. But on ACR with the much larger fields, it really wasn't that difficult... and if you can play on poker stars, those tournament fields are 100x the size of ACR's, so it should be trivially easy... yes I realize how lucky I was to make a large cash in the very first "real" tournament I played on the site, but I'm a firm believe that grinders can do anything we want, all we need is enough time and enough dedication to the cause. Best wishes! It's the most fun challenge I've ever done and even if I had a million dollars in the bank I might still decide to go this route, just for the fun of it! Depositing your own money is HIGHLY overrated in my humble opinion. But I'm a grinder, its what I love to do.

Last edited:
sarjdgo

sarjdgo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I started with freerolls and right now have 17.82 in stars and 11.06 in party, i find it tough to do in stars, and use to play the .50 9 players SnG. I have this just from freerolls and will continue growing starting from that ammount, playing few freerolls, and just the same 9 man SnG .50 buy in until i grow to 25 USD, im doing that basically to force myself to practice hard at micro limits, i have lost several deposits before fool playing higher buy ins, and im right now focused in improve, not in grow my bankroll, but its possible for sure, i have just 30 days doing this and havent lost my winnings yet.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. You can build a bankroll from freerolls. Just don't rush to earn it all at once, and prepare your nerves....

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can also end it there, too.

If you're very lucky, (and I still do this), you can save all you small winnings, and make a buy-in out of them, and make money that way.

One of the problems is, that most of the sites won't pay you anything, unless you have made an actual deposit.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a miracle has to happen to make your bankroll playing freerolls

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I could say everything is impossible. I play only at pokerstars and 888, but in this two rooms there are nearly every day the possibility to start a small bankroll. Sometimes there are big events and around this events you could get big tickets in which you have the chance to win thousands of dollar. There is no limit of amount you could win with money that you earn first at freerolls. If you are disciplinated and playing under the aspect of bankrollmanagement you could build a nice bankroll.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

Absolutely, like any business, a poker career can be started from scratch. But, it is very difficult and will require maximum tension of nerves and forces, plus constant training and work on the game. Not everyone is capable of this. And most importantly, you must be visited by a breathtaking upstreak.

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Can I start a career with freerolls? Many poker rooms attract new players with freerolls. But the number of players and the prize pool are unlikely to fill the bankroll. I wonder if there are people who started with freerolls?

After a few years o winning o daily basis maybe you will remember it as the start of your poker career:)

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning, I earned $ 15 on freerolls and freespins with Beginner's Luck, and from there I went up the rate and made more money. After all, when I used up all the slots, I got the hang of it and now I can win every time in freerolls such as cardschat. In short, if you have greed, you have no choice but to make an effort.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the problems is, that most of the sites won't pay you anything, unless you have made an actual deposit.

This is an excellent point. Luckily for me, I don't plan to ever withdraw, not even if I run my freeroll winnings up to a million dollars. I dont play poker for money (for profit), but obviously to play with the best poker players you need a sizeable bankroll, so that's why I use real money, but it has nothing to do with greed.

But for those who wish to take this route to fame (lol) and fortune (double lol), franken's point is something to make note of. You CAN make withdraws even if you have never deposited, but the poker site typically will only allow you to withdraw as much as you've paid in rake to them over the years.

We might be playing for "free", but we still pay rake... (I call us freerollers "Rake Machines" and it is super smart for poker sites to run freerolls and create more of us)... so eventually you'll be able to withdraw at least some of your funds if you wish, but due to this problem you probably will never be able to withdraw "life changing money". For instance, let's say I do run my bankroll into the 6-digits, there's no way I'd ever be able to rake an equivalent amount, so that money is basically "owned" by the poker site, not by me even tho it's "my" funds.

So again - excellent point to keep in mind for anyone planning to go this route and hoping to make a living off it. Perhaps you should check the rules with the poker site you are playing on to see what method they use to determine how much you can take off the site, and how often you can do it.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Definitely! At least there you’ll realize how many dilettantes are playing this game...
Seriously, you can gain a lot of experience (not to mention money, by the way) in freerolls.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have built small bankroll on ACR from freeroll MTT and streamer giveaways. I have more success on Betonline when they had multiple daily free buys back in 2017.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. Can I start a career with freerolls? Many poker rooms attract new players with freerolls. But the number of players and the prize pool are unlikely to fill the bankroll. I wonder if there are people who started with freerolls?

Many people have gone from 0 to hero, but it was way easier back in the day. There’s just not the freerolls available that there used to be.
I took a few years off poker and am mostly free rolling again myself. I’m doing good at 888poker, where there’s still a bunch of freerolls (providing you deposited once)
I’ve gone from 0 to over $100 4 times this year, if only I would remember to use proper bankroll management, I will break $1000 before the year is done or I should quit again;)
Good luck

Freeroll Passwords