I seem to be struggling lately with the best way to play any suited connectors.

• Thread starter whitetailbuck10
  • Start date
W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I seem to be struggling lately with the best way to play low/medium suited connectors.

Should a person be trying to limp in just to see the flop with low/medium suited connectors or try and be a bit more aggressive to try and take the blinds? I realize there are all kinds of factors to consider with how others are playing at the table, but I am just looking for some basic rules to test out.
I feel sort of like I am always making the wrong call with them.......
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!!

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Sometimes limp or min raise just to see the flop and then decide from there.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The best strategy with those cards is to limp and if they connect beautifully, you can decide how to get the most out of the game.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Mix stocks with opening minraises and some cold calls in late position.
I don't like the limp approach. There are so many benefits to even minraising, I don't see any reason to limp in with a marginal hand. But of course like everything else in poker it will depend on a bunch of other factors to consider.
So there is no magic formula. Just the fact that you are playing in position will help you.

Don't limp in, repeat after me! LOL

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on who you’re playing and in what context. Limping or calling medium suited connectors is usually my go-to strategy, i.e., playing soft. But since most times you’re going to be behind post flop, playing more aggressively pre-flop is advantageous IF you think you can push out weaker players pre-flop and/or out play your opponents post flop (with nothing).

Last edited:
722Wade722

722Wade722

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I mainly play them if posting blinds and there isn’t a huge open or 3 bet. Maybe limp in on the button too.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I play with crap with the intention of bluffing all the way if possible. And sometimes I hit big with the crap. Same goes for suited connectors.

W

whitetailbuck10

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Depends on who you’re playing and in what context. Limping or calling medium suited connectors is usually my go-to strategy, i.e., playing soft. But since most times you’re going to be behind post flop, playing more aggressively pre-flop is advantageous IF you think you can push out weaker players pre-flop and/or out play your opponents post flop (with nothing).
Matt,
I think you may have just woken me up to something....... post flop the best you can hope for realistically is 4 suited or an open end..... then it still requires more work to either get rid of players or to take a chance...... Hmmmmmm... thanks for the awakening. I will need to think about this a little more.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Suited connectors are often overrated, especially if the flop comes all black and you are holding red cards, someone could be playing black suited cards at the same time, but my advice would be softly Softley catchy monkey, better to limp and catch, rather than raise and miss altogether.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Better just to fold if in early position and possibly in mid position too if you are likely to get three better. I generally just play them from late position or blinds, with occasional EP raise for board coverage/surprise factor. (I am thinking in terms of cash games, but obviously in tourneys you will be a bit looser)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seem to be struggling lately with the best way to play low/medium suited connectors.

Should a person be trying to limp in just to see the flop with low/medium suited connectors or try and be a bit more aggressive to try and take the blinds? I realize there are all kinds of factors to consider with how others are playing at the table, but I am just looking for some basic rules to test out.
I feel sort of like I am always making the wrong call with them.......
Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!!
To truly improve we have to dive deep in these spots---if you can post these types of hands in the hand analysis section you will find your growth will be much greater than just a strategy to do most of the time-

With that said-here is a basic strategy based on an assumption of skill from your post- stop playing small suited vs more than 3 players-reverse implied odds- if you play you raise IP to be heads up so that you can win more often with no hand-if you are not good at doing this do not play them at all-

Medium connectors you can over limp on passive tables but post flop we need to be able to get better flush draws to fold by being agg-if we cannot do that then we have to pot control and over fold to any action on made flushes

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited connectors are speculative hands.
You mostly 3 bet them as a bluff and play aggressively if you pick up draws.
They are more playable than offsuit combos due to their equity realization, but its better to play them from late position.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah !!! The pretty looking suited connectors. Sometimes very difficult to fold. For me, it really does depend on specific scenarios. I would very rarely limp with them, it would also depend on position, stack sizes and how the table is playing. If i have a healthy stack, then I would be more inclined to open raise and call 3 bets with them.

J

jmcinwpg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
some of my best flops came from suited connectors... It has proved most useful for breaking high pockets

H

hishshy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I too struggle with suited connectors it never works out for me buy I seen other players win from them

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Avoid playing them from early position cause you could be in trouble. In early position there are a lot of players to act behind you and they could have bigger suited cards than yours. Try to call with suited connectors from late position as they have good equity vs bigger cards especially if there is an UTG/+1 open, or try to attack the blinds if they are tight players.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always it depends …. Stacks and BB siezes, position, and opponents
at begnning of the game when you have a big stack, limp, raise .. raise in good positions, limp in bad,
when you have a small stack, be carefull fold, limp ( sometimes) in good positions.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you are a chip leader, then of course you are standing or there are 2 people left at the table then you can pick up by raise unless of course you are 3bet