I cant slow play( trap )

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perception and Apology

sorry Cali but WV is right, after reading some of your posts you are super aggressive and antagonistic in your comments. I haven't seen any decent logic behind your posts and vitriol towards anyone who disagrees with you. I am not trying to offend you I am just saying look at your posts and the tone you set. Some ppl will say you are "stupid" but if you can defend your position without loosing your cool your posts will make a lot more sense and theirs will make less.

It's not always about who's right or wrong, it's about discussion and what is the most correct play. An open forum, like CC, gives rise to new ideas and ways of thinking about things. Some may be condescending and insulting to you, but once again if you believe you are correct then you should be able to present your argument in a non-emotional way and defeat them with your relentless logic.

I guess it is always good to get someones opinion about how they perceive you after all everyone cannot be wrong. If I appear aggressive I apologize I will try to tone it down a bit, but I will stand behind my play on those hands. Why should I bet a hand that I know will be bet after all as WV said the $1 buy ins are full of lets say not so smart players. It probably takes more patience and skill to win against 100 aggressive donks than it would against the more solid players. I mean in the $1 buy ins you see all ins with any two cards.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I guess it is always good to get someones opinion about how they perceive you after all everyone cannot be wrong. If I appear aggressive I apologize I will try to tone it down a bit, but I will stand behind my play on those hands. Why should I bet a hand that I know will be bet after all as WV said the $1 buy ins are full of lets say not so smart players. It probably takes more patience and skill to win against 100 aggressive donks than it would against the more solid players. I mean in the $1 buy ins you see all ins with any two cards.

That's the beauty of the micro's. You're right, you do see a lot of all-ins with any two cards. Just recently I seen a 6-bet pot between three players on the first hand of a $1.50T sng. One had AA, the other two had A5, and 73 soooted. You do know what that means, don't you? It means lots of easy profit.

While slowplaying and playing "tricky" hands oop to a pfr may make you feel like a champ when you flop the miracle and get paid off, it is completely unnecessary and won't happen often enough to be concerned about.

You defend your style, and that's great. Everyone's style is different, unique and special. But we play to make money. Bottom line. So keep your style, if you are playing against regs, but remember that randoms won't notice or care. Against random droolers, just keep to this simple formula: make a hand = value bet = profit.

If they're dumb enough to stack off with random garbage, get some money in the middle and let them give you their chips.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
After reading the OP.. then reading all the other comments.. then rereading the OP.... I think the OP's definition of "slow playing" is different from ours. I think he's actually slowly playing.. like as in.. taking more time to make a decision.

He keeps talking about how he's usually a fast player, but has now tried "slow playing".. which really has nothing to do with slow playing.

http://www.flopturnriver.com/poker-dictionary/slow-play.php
To act in a way to deceive other players that you have a weak hand when in fact your hand is strong. For example, check the flop and turn and then raise the opponent's bet on the river.

Example: I shouldn't have slow played my set on the flop. I checked behind and he made a straight on the turn.

I believe you are on to something there, sir.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Izaak give us YOUR definition if slow playing.

Also the comment about how you play similar to Gus is very worrisome

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the micros and never check a big hand. Most of the tables are loose enough that you will get a call with a half pot bet on the flop. You might want to push if you see 2 suited or 2 connected on the board. You will get a lot of people even calling an all in when holding 4 to a flush or straight at that level. But checking the flop is leaving money in villain's stack instead of on the table where it belongs.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do when you're stuck 6 figures and flop a boat against the big stack?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can say a lot of things but do not say I play bad that is just being rude period. And had I had kk and flop comes 567 and someone shoves all there chips in I would fold. If you think you can beat me come play a few tourneys at cake. I would like to show you a few things.
As far as your advice I choose to leave it cause obviously you have no real clue what you are saying:boxing:
LOL

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can say a lot of things but do not say I play bad that is just being rude period. And had I had kk and flop comes 567 and someone shoves all there chips in I would fold. If you think you can beat me come play a few tourneys at cake. I would like to show you a few things.
As far as your advice I choose to leave it cause obviously you have no real clue what you are saying:boxing:

You will find with WV he can sound abrupt at times but honestly, he knows what he is talking about.

Your comment about "showing you a few things are two" is just plain redic to say, you sound like an arrogant sod and to be honest what you have said in this thread is stupid and I don't think you could "show" anyone much they already don't know especially WV and most people in this thread have a better idea. No offence, but you do sound like some new kid on the block with a bit of a attitude who has a lot to learn still.

I think the only way you would get WV to play you is to full stack $200 or so in cash games, not micro $1.00 a SNG or summin I'm unsure if your BR would be even a buy-in for his limit ;P

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO there's a difference between slow playing and trapping.

Slow playing has to do with having a strong hand which is beatable. You don't wanna get boinked on the river, and you don't wanna release the hand, so you try to keep the betting tolerable.

Trapping is when you have the nuts, and you're sure you can't be beat. It only really works well against an aggressive player who does your betting for you. Or against easy folders. In which case, you're just waiting for them to complete.

Mixing up the two is where we get into trouble.

-

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO there's a difference between slow playing and trapping.

Slow playing has to do with having a strong hand which is beatable. You don't wanna get boinked on the river, and you don't wanna release the hand, so you try to keep the betting tolerable.

Trapping is when you have the nuts, and you're sure you can't be beat. It only really works well against an aggressive player who does your betting for you. Or against easy folders. In which case, you're just waiting for them to complete.

Mixing up the two is where we get into trouble.

-

Good point. There was a time when I had the nuts like the top set after the flop in multiway pot and slow played it that I trap myself losing to a straight or flush

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought this was cardschat

You will find with WV he can sound abrupt at times but honestly, he knows what he is talking about.

Your comment about "showing you a few things are two" is just plain redic to say, you sound like an arrogant sod and to be honest what you have said in this thread is stupid and I don't think you could "show" anyone much they already don't know especially WV and most people in this thread have a better idea. No offence, but you do sound like some new kid on the block with a bit of a attitude who has a lot to learn still.

I think the only way you would get WV to play you is to full stack $200 or so in cash games, not micro $1.00 a SNG or summin I'm unsure if your BR would be even a buy-in for his limit ;P

Your statement leaves me to believe that you just like picking on people that are new to your forum. First of all you have no idea who I am yet you assume my bankroll is not large enough.In fact if you had read my post you would see that that probably is not true. As far as what stakes I choose to play that is my business and it should not be ridiculed. Your attitude toward the original poster also seems pretty negative. I thought you were supposed to encourage members here not make fun of them call them awful players and make them feel bad. I realize you guys are a tight group but to jump on new members and gang up on them sounds to me like you do not welcome new members the way you should. And if you had read the whole post the ENTIRE post you would also see that an apology was already. But it seems you just want to put your kicks in while you can.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[/B]
Your statement leaves me to believe that you just like picking on people that are new to your forum. First of all you have no idea who I am yet you assume my bankroll is not large enough.In fact if you had read my post you would see that that probably is not true. As far as what stakes I choose to play that is my business and it should not be ridiculed. Your attitude toward the original poster also seems pretty negative. I thought you were supposed to encourage members here not make fun of them call them awful players and make them feel bad. I realize you guys are a tight group but to jump on new members and gang up on them sounds to me like you do not welcome new members the way you should. And if you had read the whole post the ENTIRE post you would also see that an apology was already. But it seems you just want to put your kicks in while you can.

I think you are overreacting a bit mate. if you disagree with someones statement then either explain why or ask for an explanation yourself, Hill gave a clear reason why he disagreed with your post and you responded by challenging him to a game. Even if the advice given is blunt they are still voluntarily responding so have a listen and hear what they have to say without getting upset.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[/B]

You're not going to be very successful as a poker player with an attitude like this.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not going to be very successful as a poker player with an attitude like this.

I feel a little different about that. I play cake poker in the small buy ins nothing over $30. Mostly I play for enjoyment. But to say I am not going to be a successful poker player is just another assumption that is probably meant to be an insult. I have been on over 30 final tables in the 2 months I've played on cake and have done quite well.
Congratulations SantaClawse,

Out of 73 players in Tournament 10416017 ($2 NL Hold'em), you came in 1st and have won $37.97.

You've also been awarded 1.4 FPP for participating in the tournament.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

Out of 80 players in Tournament 10411862 ($2 NL Hold'em), you came in 1st and have won $41.60.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

Out of 58 players in Tournament 10412161 (Nightly $10 NL Hold'em - Bounty), you came in 1st and have won $121.82.

You've also been awarded 7 FPP for participating in the tournament.

Out of 128 players in Tournament 10425780 ($2,000 Guaranteed R&A), you came in 2nd and have won $340.99.

You've also been awarded 3.5 FPP for participating in the tournament.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

These are before I stopped keeping track due to the fact that I was getting no comments on my brags post that I was keeping these were all from dec 2nd to dec 6th I only played 7 tourneys in those 4 days and final table 4 of them. Since I have been on over 25 final tables. As far as successful poker player no I probably will not make millions from playing poker but for you to just come up with some idea off the top of your head saying I will not be successful without any knowledge who I am is ludicrous. And just another stab at some one that is not in your clique. I do not mean to offend anyone by these posts I am just stating the way I see it. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions with no facts whatsoever.
Sorry if you feel I am insulting you I am just trying to clarify my point of view.
If you look through all these comments on these posts you will see I have been attacked numerous times. And insulted many times as well by people that have no idea how I play or my record as a tournament player.
In retrospect maybe all these posts should be deleted and forgotten. But please, I am a MAN with honor and self respect and to be treated as some moron is not acceptable.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel a little different about that. I play cake poker in the small buy ins nothing over $30. Mostly I play for enjoyment. But to say I am not going to be a successful poker player is just another assumption that is probably meant to be an insult. I have been on over 30 final tables in the 2 months I've played on cake and have done quite well.

Out of 73 players in Tournament 10416017 ($2 NL Hold'em), you came in 1st and have won $37.97.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

Out of 80 players in Tournament 10411862 ($2 NL Hold'em), you came in 1st and have won $41.60.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

Out of 58 players in Tournament 10412161 (Nightly $10 NL Hold'em - Bounty), you came in 1st and have won $121.82.

You've also been awarded 7 FPP for participating in the tournament.

Out of 128 players in Tournament 10425780 ($2,000 Guaranteed R&A), you came in 2nd and have won $340.99.

You've also been awarded 3.5 FPP for participating in the tournament.

Best wishes,
The Cake Poker Team

These are before I stopped keeping track due to the fact that I was getting no comments on my brags post that I was keeping these were all from dec 2nd to dec 6th I only played 7 tourneys in those 4 days and final table 4 of them. Since I have been on over 25 final tables. As far as successful poker player no I probably will not make millions from playing poker but for you to just come up with some idea off the top of your head saying I will not be successful without any knowledge who I am is ludicrous. And just another stab at some one that is not in your clique. I do not mean to offend anyone by these posts I am just stating the way I see it. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions with no facts whatsoever.
Sorry if you feel I am insulting you I am just trying to clarify my point of view.
If you look through all these comments on these posts you will see I have been attacked numerous times. And insulted many times as well by people that have no idea how I play or my record as a tournament player.
In retrospect maybe all these posts should be deleted and forgotten. But please, I am a MAN with honor and self respect and to be treated as some moron is not acceptable.

"yawn"

sorry, what???

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both horrible examples. 1st hand is closer to a hand you should slow play but with TP any idiot who would be shoving 1400 chips into a 150 chip pot is NEVER folding. You're wrong if you think otherwise and since it was limped preflop you need to be betting the flop to start trying to build the pot.

2nd hand fold preflop and again you could have easily got all the $$s in on the flop.

Do not use results to justify your bad play.
No where in my post to you were you attacked. I pointed out your bad play in both hands and that you were trying to use the results to make your argument which in both hands is incorrect. Simple as that.

You'll probably enjoy even greater results when you stop thinking you know everything. gl

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
West Virginia is sometimes short and to the point, but he is just being honest. Better you hear the truth and choose to ignore it, than to have never heard it at all. Because you don't like his response, does not mean he is not correct. Best of luck to you sir.:cool:

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calicard:
Sorry to say but the more you post, the more you show how little you know. I can totally relate as I once had 7 cashes between $400 and $3,500 in a two-month period and I thought I was a great player but I really didn't know a damn thing.

That you had some 3-figure cashes in low-stakes donkaments doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you are ran hot and you are results oriented. The funny thing about poker, especially tournament poker, is that variance is so high that good players will go long, long, long stretches without cashing and bad players can win a ton of money in a short period of time even while playing really badly.

Becoming better at poker is about making correct decisions and you cannot make correct decisions (consistently) without the correct mindset and fundamental understanding of the game. You don't have that right now.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets move on

Calicard:
Sorry to say but the more you post, the more you show how little you know. I can totally relate as I once had 7 cashes between $400 and $3,500 in a two-month period and I thought I was a great player but I really didn't know a damn thing.

That you had some 3-figure cashes in low-stakes donkaments doesn't prove anything other than the fact that you are ran hot and you are results oriented. The funny thing about poker, especially tournament poker, is that variance is so high that good players will go long, long, long stretches without cashing and bad players can win a ton of money in a short period of time even while playing really badly.

Becoming better at poker is about making correct decisions and you cannot make correct decisions (consistently) without the correct mindset and fundamental understanding of the game. You don't have that right now.

Okay I think we've beaten this one to the ground can we just move onward. Towards a more productive line of posts. Something that will benefit us all as poker players.
Sorry if I upset anyone:D

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trust me, no one was upset. It's no skin off my back that another player has the wrong mindset, there are a million players just like you.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But how much did you lose

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trust me, no one was upset. It's no skin off my back that another player has the wrong mindset, there are a million players just like you.

This.

Cali, you are lucky that there are random people all of the world that are willing to help you.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you flop a Royal, and bet it fast, you run the risk of losing value. Of all my Royals only about %30 paid of large. If I bet fast, that number probably drops to %15. (numbers are guesstimates, db unavailable at the moment:().

So in that case the best option is to let villain hang himself with 2 pair or TPTK or a str8.

Problems I, and probably most players suffer from is slow playing hands way way down the strength line. TPTK is NOT a place to slow play. Big sets maybe, small sets no! Draws to nut flushes are maybe the minimum place but what if villain plays at the hand?

Flopped made bigger hands St8's Flushes and boats are candidates for a slow approach, but tabe dynamics will come into play.

Just don't be doing it with TPTK.......

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TPTK is perfectly fine to slowplay if your opponent's range is is constrained/weak/obvious. The problem with slowplaying is missing out on value, not on getting sucked out on.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't force or rush a slow play.

Play every hand as it comes with your personal tightness / tournament stage, as you like it.

Never slow play at all unless your on a better than average hand.

Example, Your UTG+1 and because your middle tourney and sitting on 80M, you want to play your :7d4: :8d4:. Player in seat 5 2Xs and you call as does the BB.

Flop comes :6d4: :9d4: , :10h4: .

You have the St8, and the st8 flush draw. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, your in position.

THIS, YOU CAN SLOW PLAY.

Just one schmo's opinion.

GL

So I was trying to use slow playing mre in my game since I used to be a really really fast player but after using it today in 30 minutes I lost 4 buy ins and am more tilted than I've ever been in my poker life. I mean it might be because i ran really bad (i was stubborn in some places but tbf it's probably gonna work in the long term). After slow playing one hand I allowed a guy to bluff me out of a massive pot. I feel like shit. His play mean little sense but i have no history with him and I just had to believe he had it. If I didn't slow play it I would of easily taken it down. I'm a good fast player (I have a very similar style to gus Hansen ) but when I slow play it's so much harder to put my opponents on hands, takes longer time to decide what the right play is (so I play 4 tables instead on 8) -6 max tables I play cash game 3/6c.

Any tips? I'm so tilted I am going mad.