Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I haven't been able to play well for 3 days, it all started with AQs ❤️ JJ villain flop
4❤️J❤️J♣️A♦️7❤️ I 3bet villain all in I call
Has anyone seen a JJ court. I always lose when I'm with JJ and I also lose when I'm not. Since then he has been losing to inexplicable games
Yesterday I lost with A9o
Flop 10 4 A 8 2 And the villain 104o who plays with 104o out of position, Who plays with 104 even in position?
So how do I get through this moment? I stop playing, take a break, what do I do now?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
As the old poker saying goes: You will run worse than you ever thought possible.

So prepare for much worse hands than your examples.

But as long as they play cards like T4 you seem to be in a good game.

If it affects your play like you stated in the beginning it is probably best to take a break. But in the long run, you must be able to play even if you are tilted, angry, sad, or depressed if you play to earn money.

If you play for fun you should of course only play when you feel it gives you an entertaining experience, and do something else until you have calmed down.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't been able to play well for 3 days, it all started with AQs ❤️ JJ villain flop
Has anyone seen a JJ court. I always lose when I'm with JJ and I also lose when I'm not. Since then he has been losing to inexplicable games
Flop 10 4 A 8 2 And the villain 104o who plays with 104o out of position, Who plays with 104 even in position?
So how do I get through this moment? I stop playing, take a break, what do I do now?
You are tilting because you think your Villains should not make mistakes and beat you. When we play well that is 80% of how we lose-therefore we need to look at this game in that light. When we do we will not tilt.

Jared Tendler has a books on the mental game of poker they are very good and the digital version inexpensive

:geek::unsure:

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To "get out of tilt" you need to get out of poker :p at least a little...

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
Take a break, go for a walk in the fresh air. It always helps me :)
Such situations are an integral part of the game, the main thing is to always follow your bankroll management, and then your money will be safe.
Good luck :)

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Maybe taking a break, relax and back feeling better.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Stop playing, and take some rest to keep you away from thinking about poker, do not think about getting your money back on the same day, and the most important thing is to apply and respect the rules of bankroll.
GL :)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Repeat the following to yourself:

One day I will flop four of a kind with Jacks and stack AQs.

Coolers do not determine whether I am a winning or losing player in the long run.

Bad players are the backbone of the poker economy. If there were no bad plays, nobody would be able to profit.

I will have streaks of good luck and streaks of bad luck. I don't deserve either one. I choose to play this game. Nobody is forcing me to do it.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Take a deep breath, Gather your thoughts, understand that bad beats only happen if you don't fold pre, try to walk away.
just get out and walk outside. Live or online poker. Get out of the house/building that has created this hate environment in your head
it really works wonders. even 5 minutes. Then proceed to hunt down again.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I always recommend that people who are in a bad mood because of a bad beat should close poker and go out for a breath and run for a walk. It helps a lot after which you can come back to playing poker again, taking a shower or watching a movie just try not to play poker

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Nobody can win all the time. Accept these and you will feel better.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tilt is about YOUR expectations but what if your beliefs of being a favorite are totally wrong?

Or what if you are the favorite but mess on some other variable?

That's why I say as you gain more knowledge and experience then you will see what spots are tillable and what aren't and if you can't then . . . just walk away and do something else until you're not even thinking or caring about poker and come back in the right frame of mind.

The truth is nl holdem is luck in the short term but skill in the long term. That is a mantra. Don't let the short term bother you too much.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You did a good job answering your question. Take some time off, poker is always gonna be there. I would also add that remind yourself that there are gonna be bad beats. That is part of the game and usually the reason we are knocked out of the game if we are playing what we have already learned.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As players we're geared to look back at our hands and analyze them w/an honest scope. That's as far as it should go, imo. I've gone damn near insane reliving hard core beats that, I'm sorry, most folx would probably do nothing short of assaulting the dealer. Whenever I get out played then I have to suck it up and deal with it and try and figure out how to not let it happen again.
Daniel Negreanu once confided that his favorite hand for the longest time was 10-4. I prefer it to be suited when I do play it but hey, if there's a fish to be fried then 10-4o will do. ;)

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Get out of your own way and get over it... sounds like entitlement syndrome to me. The cards don't care who wins or loses.

These aren't exactly monster hands you're describing... you lost with AQ and A9.. it happens everyday,

If you're losing with jacks and without jacks maybe the problem isn't the jacks....

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all losing a few hands should not tilt you, and if it does, this is really something, you need to work on. Or even give up poker, if you cant change it. The simple fact of the matter is, we are not always going to win. So this is something, we must be mentally prepared for, when we sit down at the tables. Also rather than just focusing on the fact, we lost a hand, we want to look at, if we potentially lost more, than we had to. Poker is not about winning or losing hands. Its about winning or losing money, so cutting losses is just as important as maximizing wins.

In the first hand with AQs you ended up with the nut flush, which is a very strong hand but not the nuts, since the board was paired. Unfortunately he had you drawing nearly dead since the flop, which is of course a bit of a set-up or "trap". However if at any point you either raised or called an overbet, then you overplayed your hand. And then the tilt might be due to the fact, that deep down inside, you kind of know this.

In the second hand with A9, you had top pair with a marginal kicker. In fact with this specific board runout you lost to any AX other than A3 and A5-A7. So if you put in more than 2 bets or called a raise at any point, then you overplayed your hand. And then again the tilt might be due to the fact, that deep down inside, you kind of know this. But rather than admit this to yourself, you blamed the opponent in classic Phil Helmuth style: "Honey he called a raise with QT!!!!" (A classic hand where Phil got felted by QTs, which made a straight after a completely reasonable preflop call).

As for remedies they depend a little upon, weather you are a tournament or a cash player. While a single hand should not tilt us, if it actually does, then a quick fix for cash players is to instantly sit out. Maybe you can wait for the blinds to come around especially at 6-max. But if the tilt is bad, its also fine to click the "instant sit-out" button and take a 5-10 minute break to get your head straight. Walk around the house, make a cup of coffee. Whatever works for you.

As a tournament player you obviously want to finish the games, you already paid for, but you can stop adding more games to the session. I started out with cash games, but since late 2020 I have mainly been a tournament and SnG player. Under "insights" sharkscope has the following advice for me:

"Some of your losing streaks are statistically improbably for natural variance, suggesting you may have a tendency to go on tilt. If you lose multiple games in a row take a break."

And this is pretty much, what I try to do. If I have played 10-15 tournaments resulting in a lot of early bustouts and maybe a single min-cash or a few bounties, then I typically end the session early. And if I want to play again after a few hours, then maybe I play SnGs, where its easier to get small cashes to get my confidence and joy of playing back.

For a cash player the equivalent could be to move from fast-fold tables to regular table or from 6-max to full ring. Slow things down and make your life at the tables a bit easier. Which for both cash and tournament players can also include less multitabling. If you normally play 5 tables, then maybe go down to 4 or 3.

If you are in a more persistent "downtrend" losing for maybe a month or more, the classic remedy is to spend less time playing (if you dont depend on poker for a living), and equally important move down. In 2023 I was in kind of a slump for most of the year not really losing but not winning either over several 1.000`s of games.

And at some point I made the decision to temporarely cap myself at 5$ games and start to play some 2$ games again, which I had not done for a long time. This kind of worked, and towards the end of the year, I finally hit a sunrun and managed to finish the year solidly in the green thanks to a number of large MTT cashes, one of which was my second largest ever.

2024 has so far started with a bit of a downswing again. And this is just the way, poker works. We are not always going to be sun-running. Sometimes we are going to get more than our statistical long term share of coolers and bad beats, miss most of our draws and so on and so forth. And this can last over 1.000`s of tournaments or 10.000`s of cash game hands, which we need to be both mentally prepared and bankrolled for.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To get rid of tilt we need to do a lot of psychological work. To do this, turn on funny videos. and enjoy. Then, you go play against bots as soon as you feel the mouse and hit the current path.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

Step One.
First, Google "Negativity Bias".
Read about and understand why it happens.

Step Two.
Now Google "Negativity Bias Poker".
Now read about that and understand why it happens.

Step Three.
Go and play some poker.
If you are still getting frustrated and upset, go back to Step One. Note, do not go to Step Four.

Step Four.

Enjoy your poker.

Note:- If you have got to Step Four and are still getting frustrated, best advice I can give is, go back to Step One and spend the next month trying to understand Negativity Bias. Until you do understand, you will always be upset when you lose a hand you thought you should have won.

I hope that helps. Good luck with your poker.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First of all losing a few hands should not tilt you, and if it does, this is really something, you need to work on. Or even give up poker, if you cant change it. The simple fact of the matter is, we are not always going to win. So this is something, we must be mentally prepared for, when we sit down at the tables. Also rather than just focusing on the fact, we lost a hand, we want to look at, if we potentially lost more, than we had to. Poker is not about winning or losing hands. Its about winning or losing money, so cutting losses is just as important as maximizing wins.

In the first hand with AQs you ended up with the nut flush, which is a very strong hand but not the nuts, since the board was paired. Unfortunately he had you drawing nearly dead since the flop, which is of course a bit of a set-up or "trap". However if at any point you either raised or called an overbet, then you overplayed your hand. And then the tilt might be due to the fact, that deep down inside, you kind of know this.

In the second hand with A9, you had top pair with a marginal kicker. In fact with this specific board runout you lost to any AX other than A3 and A5-A7. So if you put in more than 2 bets or called a raise at any point, then you overplayed your hand. And then again the tilt might be due to the fact, that deep down inside, you kind of know this. But rather than admit this to yourself, you blamed the opponent in classic Phil Helmuth style: "Honey he called a raise with QT!!!!" (A classic hand where Phil got felted by QTs, which made a straight after a completely reasonable preflop call).

As for remedies they depend a little upon, weather you are a tournament or a cash player. While a single hand should not tilt us, if it actually does, then a quick fix for cash players is to instantly sit out. Maybe you can wait for the blinds to come around especially at 6-max. But if the tilt is bad, its also fine to click the "instant sit-out" button and take a 5-10 minute break to get your head straight. Walk around the house, make a cup of coffee. Whatever works for you.

As a tournament player you obviously want to finish the games, you already paid for, but you can stop adding more games to the session. I started out with cash games, but since late 2020 I have mainly been a tournament and SnG player. Under "insights" Sharkscope has the following advice for me:

"Some of your losing streaks are statistically improbably for natural variance, suggesting you may have a tendency to go on tilt. If you lose multiple games in a row take a break."

And this is pretty much, what I try to do. If I have played 10-15 tournaments resulting in a lot of early bustouts and maybe a single min-cash or a few bounties, then I typically end the session early. And if I want to play again after a few hours, then maybe I play SnGs, where its easier to get small cashes to get my confidence and joy of playing back.

For a cash player the equivalent could be to move from fast-fold tables to regular table or from 6-max to full ring. Slow things down and make your life at the tables a bit easier. Which for both cash and tournament players can also include less multitabling. If you normally play 5 tables, then maybe go down to 4 or 3.

If you are in a more persistent "downtrend" losing for maybe a month or more, the classic remedy is to spend less time playing (if you dont depend on poker for a living), and equally important move down. In 2023 I was in kind of a slump for most of the year not really losing but not winning either over several 1.000`s of games.

And at some point I made the decision to temporarely cap myself at 5$ games and start to play some 2$ games again, which I had not done for a long time. This kind of worked, and towards the end of the year, I finally hit a sunrun and managed to finish the year solidly in the green thanks to a number of large MTT cashes, one of which was my second largest ever.

2024 has so far started with a bit of a downswing again. And this is just the way, poker works. We are not always going to be sun-running. Sometimes we are going to get more than our statistical long term share of coolers and bad beats, miss most of our draws and so on and so forth. And this can last over 1.000`s of tournaments or 10.000`s of cash game hands, which we need to be both mentally prepared and bankrolled for.
Hi fundiver199. Thank you for the informative response, even though I wasn't the one asking. And even though this is not entirely related to this topic, please tell me, how to understand the phrase: you are beating the limit.What does it mean: you won, let's say, 10-20 tournaments in a row or with a short break, or were able to build a bankroll of a certain size? Thanks in advance for the answer.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
please tell me, how to understand the phrase: you are beating the limit.What does it mean: you won, let's say, 10-20 tournaments in a row or with a short break, or were able to build a bankroll of a certain size? Thanks in advance for the answer.
Thats a very good question. For cash game or SnG players, its reasonable to say, you "beat a limit" (within reasonable limits of dought), if you have won a number of buyins, which you might use as a minimum bankroll. Lets say 30 for cash games and 50 for SnGs except MTT SnGs, where the number is higher. The reason for this is, that if you are unlikely to lose 50 BIs due to pure variance, then you are also unlikely to win 50 BIs due to pure variance. So if you won 50 BIs, there is like a 99% chance, you are "beating the limit".

This also lends itself well to a bankroll management scheme. Lets say you deposit 50$ and start playing 1$ SnGs. Then you continue doing so, until you have 100$, which is the minimum bankroll for 2$ SnGs. So now you not only have the bankroll for next limit, but you are also reasonably sure, that you beat the 1$ games. If the next limit is 5$, then you either grind 2$ games, until you have 250$. Or if you get impatient, until you have 200$, and then you deposit another 50$ to move up faster.

For MTTs its not practical to only play one limit at a time, and due to higher variance you might need as much as a 200 BI win, before you are reasonably sure, you "beat the limit". This is at least true with larger fields like 300+ players, where a single large win can completely dominate your results. So for MTTs I recommend simply using bankroll management and not focusing so much on knowing, if you "beat a limit". Like the simple and traditional rule of never buying in to an MTT for more than 1% of your bankroll.

For me for instance I have won money on pokerstars in 1,1$, 2,2$, 3,3$, 5,5$, 11$ and 16,5$ MTTs. But I have lost money in 4,4$ and 7,5$ MTTs. But all the samples are to small to be statistically meaningfull. And therefore it makes much more sense for me to focus on my overall ROI. And to pay attention to, if the games are good or not. If all the opponent are solid regs, its likely not a profitable game to be in regardless of the buyin.

theoxy

theoxy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop playing poker when you are tilted and start drinking vodka. ;D

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I advise you to take a break, work on the theory, watch the streams, make sure that the right decisions are not always winning

Other FullTilt Reviews: English | Deutsch | Nederlands | Español | Português | Full Tilt Casino - Full Tilt Mobile