How can they multi table so many games on one screen?

P

Ptad

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally play with 2 screens and easily switch back forth with a freeware program. I love it. 2 screens also helps for work and improve producitivity!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This doesn't happen ever. I don't think I changed any settings or anything, but tables cue their actions. So if another table needs your decision it will not pop up until you click a button on the current top table.

I guess check settings for something like that but I'm about 90% that I didn't have to change anything on either Pokerstars or Full Tilt

I already explained in another post that it was a while back, and that must be why I had the problems. For the last 4 years or so I have been using either multiple monitors on my desktop, or just cascaded the games on my laptop. You probably posted before you read the rest of the thread. ;)
I haven't stacked in years, so they must have fixed that problem. I have been using either the multiple monitor method or cascading(if on my laptop) pretty much ever since I started multi-tabling, just because of that stupid pop-up problem. But I guess if it works for you and you're making dough, no need to change it

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally play with 2 screens and easily switch back forth with a freeware program. I love it. 2 screens also helps for work and improve producitivity!

Just wondering, what do you need to use a program to switch back and forth for? Are you meaning two virtual desktop screens or two physical monitors?

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering, what do you need to use a program to switch back and forth for? Are you meaning two virtual desktop screens or two physical monitors?

I'm not 100% sure this is what this person meant but they are most likely referring to the ability to drag windows between two physical monitors.

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
/Shrug I 22 table 50NL for about 4bb/100 which I believe is a solid win rate. I personally cascade the tables on a single 16' monitor. Hardly ever misclick, maybe a handful of times over the past few months.

As for whoever didn't recommend playing over 8 tables I don't necessarily agree with that totally. If your solely playing to improve your game then thats true, but as far as profitability goes, the amount of FPP's you generate can often times pad your win rate more than playing fewer tables, and DEFINITELY reduces how hard variance hits IMO.:joyman:

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for whoever didn't recommend playing over 8 tables I don't necessarily agree with that totally. If your solely playing to improve your game then thats true,

Quoting myself from before, (note the "if you want to improve as a poker player" part meaning I don't disagree with you):
First off, let me say that I do not in any way advocate playing more than about 8 tables, especially in ring, if you want to improve as a poker player.
If you want to maximize immediate profits, then sure, ramp up the tables. I do when I play SnGs. It is just my opinion that you reap greater long term profits by sacrificing immediate profits and improving as a poker player (though I must say I do not follow this rule very well :(), thus my recommendation of no more than 8 tables for ring.

but as far as profitability goes, the amount of FPP's you generate can often times pad your win rate more than playing fewer tables,

Winrate is measured on a per 100 hands basis meaning the the amount by which FPPs increase your winrate is only affected by how many FPPs you gain per 100 hands. You are gaining more FPPs but this is counterbalanced by playing more hands. Thus, playing more tables does not pad your winrate.

and DEFINITELY reduces how hard variance hits IMO.:joyman:

The number of tables you play at one time has nothing to do with reducing variance. It is the fact that you are playing more hands that reduces variance (which is what you might have been implying but wasn't readily apparent). For example, if you 1 table 1k hands and 10 table 1k hands, all other variables being equal, your variance is the same.

Z

zatchmo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i can only pull off 4 sngs at a time, or rather 4 tables in general really.

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i recently tried to see how many i could play and keep up with only using playchips so i didnt kill my real money if i messed up i played 12 sngs at the same kept up ok might try something later in real money not as many tables though

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not 100% sure this is what this person meant but they are most likely referring to the ability to drag windows between two physical monitors.

You don't need any program to drag windows from one monitor to another. You just change the settings in your appearance preferences on your computer or your video card's settings.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i recently tried to see how many i could play and keep up with only using playchips so i didnt kill my real money if i messed up i played 12 sngs at the same kept up ok might try something later in real money not as many tables though

this skill "multitabling" will serve you good in the future. for the sole purpose of increasing your hourly rate. not for becoming a better player as stated in this post. i've played for playchips for a long time and still do almost daily. but the 2 main things i learned while playing for playchips is 1 bankroll management. and 2 the ablity to multitable. i think these two things should be learned with playchips or the lowest stakes games before you consider investing any real money in poker.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't need any program to drag windows from one monitor to another. You just change the settings in your appearance preferences on your computer or your video card's settings.

I personally don't have two monitors but I did watch my friend who uses two monitors (doesn't play poker). He did things such as using some sort of keyboard and/or mouse click combination to send windows from one screen to the other that wasn't dragging (think more along the lines of teleporting) and auto resizing between the monitors. I think he said he wrote some sort of script for this so I wouldn't be surprised if there was freeware for something like this. If this is not what that person was referring to, I have no idea.

Lazmansa

Lazmansa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The max i have played are 3 tables at once.it was too much to keep up with what was happening.2 tables are perfect for me so i know what is hapening on both.

i respect those that play multiple tables but i personaly would start with 2 and when u are consistantly winning then go to 3 and so on.

(Just remember it is not how many tables u can play at once its how much money u are winnng ).

Lazmansa:D

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally don't have two monitors but I did watch my friend who uses two monitors (doesn't play poker). He did things such as using some sort of keyboard and/or mouse click combination to send windows from one screen to the other that wasn't dragging (think more along the lines of teleporting) and auto resizing between the monitors. I think he said he wrote some sort of script for this so I wouldn't be surprised if there was freeware for something like this. If this is not what that person was referring to, I have no idea.

What you are talking about I am pretty sure is AutoHotKey, which is a program that basically makes regular things that you would do on a computer(resizing windows, and dragging in this case) into a HotKey press, so that you can do it quicker. It really has nothing to do with multiple monitors at all, you buddy just happened to be using it with multiple monitors. A lot of people will use AHK for adding differing sized bets to their favorite poker sites at just a key press. Like lets say you want to make a 1/2 pot bet but don't want to have to figure it out and then type it in...You can get/program a script that will do it for you when you press lets say Control+Shift+A.

undone

undone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So last night i multitabled 4... i was playing in a 5 dollar 9 man NLHE... a 5 dollar 9man Omaha H/L... and the the A and B 10 dollar Jackpots.... I am going to be honest it was not very hard to handle 4 at once... but i did notice that in the 9man NLHE i didnt play for like 40 hands.... but i didnt really get anything... but i found myself not really trying to play crazy...

So my conclusion about the Multi Tabling is that you tend to just play the hands and not know anything about the man... thus the poker tracker software is insanly helpful for people who want to do this... For me... i cant use the software because i have a mac... i have a laptop but its a mini laptop and i can only get one... maybe 2 tables at once (i like to see all the tables at once).. it was fun to play 4 at once... its kindof like the matrix thing... but at least u have a chance to win a lot more than just the normal sng ammount u would get from the Matrix...

I think this skill would be very beneficial to anyone who wants to make a living playing. also if you find yourself getting bored and making dumb plays... u need to try playing 2 tables at once

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you are talking about I am pretty sure is AutoHotKey, which is a program that basically makes regular things that you would do on a computer(resizing windows, and dragging in this case) into a HotKey press, so that you can do it quicker. It really has nothing to do with multiple monitors at all, you buddy just happened to be using it with multiple monitors. A lot of people will use AHK for adding differing sized bets to their favorite poker sites at just a key press. Like lets say you want to make a 1/2 pot bet but don't want to have to figure it out and then type it in...You can get/program a script that will do it for you when you press lets say Control+Shift+A.

Using commands to send windows between monitors has everything in the world to do with multiple monitors... Also, the auto resizing was referencing an algorithm that resizes the windows for him because he uses two monitors of different sizes (and I think different resolutions but I'm not 100% sure on this) so it's not all weird when he actually does the window transition.

I am aware of what AHK scripts are (I use StarsHotkey myself), but I'm pretty sure my friend did something just using some programming language himself (he programs for a living so I doubt he would bother to learn something that is less efficient and more restrictive when he can use whatever he already knows). In regards to what that original poster meant, maybe he uses an AHK script for doing whatever he meant (I have no idea whether or not AHK scripts can send windows between monitors with the click of a button though), and maybe he uses something that isn't an AHK script. However, AHK scripts are pretty much freeware so maybe this is what the original poster meant ...or maybe I'm totally off. I was just offering a potential explanation as chances that person comes back and explains himself is like... 1%? :p

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using commands to send windows between monitors has everything in the world to do with multiple monitors... Also, the auto resizing was referencing an algorithm that resizes the windows for him because he uses two monitors of different sizes (and I think different resolutions but I'm not 100% sure on this) so it's not all weird when he actually does the window transition.

I am aware of what AHK scripts are (I use StarsHotkey myself), but I'm pretty sure my friend did something just using some programming language himself (he programs for a living so I doubt he would bother to learn something that is less efficient and more restrictive when he can use whatever he already knows). In regards to what that original poster meant, maybe he uses an AHK script for doing whatever he meant (I have no idea whether or not AHK scripts can send windows between monitors with the click of a button though), and maybe he uses something that isn't an AHK script. However, AHK scripts are pretty much freeware so maybe this is what the original poster meant ...or maybe I'm totally off. I was just offering a potential explanation as chances that person comes back and explains himself is like... 1%? :p

First off, when I said it doesn't have to do with multiple monitors, it is because AHK wasn't created for that. What you can do with multiple monitors covers about 1% of the functionality of AHK. That is what I meant.

As far as your friend, the programmer. If he was smart, he would just use something like AHK because that is what being efficient would be, using something that already works, not spending time creating something that will essentially do the same thing as something else. I am also a programmer and know many programming languages, but I wouldn't waste my time programming something that was already out there, unless I was going to try and market it that is ;).

I agree with you that the OP didn't give hardly any information and hasn't been back since, so he'll probably be like most of the first time posters. Never seen again, lol.

B

Biggelam2000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think some ppl do it to do build up there comp pts faster. i can only to tables at a time.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as your friend, the programmer. If he was smart, he would just use something like AHK because that is what being efficient would be, using something that already works, not spending time creating something that will essentially do the same thing as something else.

I think we're going off on too much of a tangent here but just to clarify what I meant by efficient, I meant in terms of the efficiency of processing commands. I know when I use hotkeys with StarsHotkey, there is a decent amount of lagtime between when the command is processed and when it is actually executed. Whether this is attributable to StarsHotkey or AHK, I have no idea (I only know a little C and VBA). However, in terms of execution speed, I would think that making programs ground up is much more efficient than using AHK.

B

Bharat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup 2 tables is my max no idea how people play 6-8, doesn't observing how your opponent plays matter?

I think people rely on HUD for getting information about opponent's betting pattern and other behavior. That's why observing opponents during hand is not considered important.

I don't use HUD, so I play 1 or 2 tables max. I think it is probably good for my live games too.

BTW, HUD will become ineffective if opponent(s) are playing out of character. Observing table/opponent will be useful in determining such change in style. Any thoughts from expert multi-tablers?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW, HUD will become ineffective if opponent(s) are playing out of character. Observing table/opponent will be useful in determining such change in style. Any thoughts from expert multi-tablers?

Very true, and there are players who will vary their play effectively. However, most of the players you end up having a lot of stats on (in other words, that you've played a lot of hands against) are themselves multi-tabling - the more tables they're playing, the harder it is for them to vary their styles effectively.

But your point is valid - taking good notes while playing is important, stats don't tell you everything.

You also need to take into account that players learn - as they learn, their styles change. So if you have stats and notes on a player from 6months ago, they may be misleading.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, just realized this is a very old thread...

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha, that crap happens to me all of the time. But yea, session notes are a great idea to go along with or compliment your historical stats. I know there are times when I am playing that I notice that I have a ton of hands on a certain opponent, and I'm certain he has a tons of hands on me, so I switch it up a little bit knowing that he will be looking at skewed stats to another playing style

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Im less inclined to agree with this.

Its a true enough statement, but if we have a decent amount of stats on a player then the style of play shown by these stats is the style of play that player adopts the vast majority of the time.

Nits rarely play like lags. Tags rarely become manic, manics dont often play nitty etc etc.

So whilst its true that an opponent will catch us off guard if he suddenly changes his style of play, its not something thats going to happen in practice all that often.

joeaugie

joeaugie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm assuming you are talking about SNGs.

Like everything, it takes practice and because the end of SNGs require push/fold poker, many mass-multitablers become extremely familiar with what hands they want to push/fold/call a push with and can make those decisions very quickly.

TIP: PRACTICE THESE SITUATIONS WITH SNG WIZARD!!!!

In our practical lives, we make many decisions routinely and without thought( such as walking becomes second nature but we have to tell our legs to take one step in front of the other).

NFL quarterbacks have to make split second decisions weighing the positive outcomes with the bad.....but can hone those skills through practice(playing in a SNG), watching film(reviewing an SNG), and coming up with practical solutions to reoccuring situations(push/fold hand ranges).

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually joeaugie, I don't believe it was ever explicitly stated whether the thread was about SNG's, MTTs, or ring games. Didn't really matter, I think the OP was just talking about how to can look at multiple tables and react to what is going on, regardless of the game type.

Top 10 Games