mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 callers X 5BBs = 30 bbs?

Oh wait, you're right, I fail math.

The OP's money formatting screwed me up... I didn't realize it was 4nl and not 2nl, then I was just using the .04c bb amount and did the calculation that flop pot size was >$1 (@2nl).

OP, don't play short stacked. This is why your decision becomes push or c/f on the flop.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh wait, you're right, I fail math.

The OP's money formatting screwed me up... I didn't realize it was 4nl and not 2nl, then I was just using the .04c bb amount and did the calculation that flop pot size was >$1 (@2nl).

OP, don't play short stacked. This is why your decision becomes push or c/f on the flop.

i bought in for the minimum. $1.40 i was a few cents down at this hand
i hardly ever play micro cash anyway cuz this kind of stuff happens every time.

oh and also a lot of other players had similar sized stacks.

Last edited:
taaron

taaron

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look to your left. Look to your right. Put on your shades. Shove it over on those bitches and watch them crumble.
:D says the guy on an obvious coffee buzz. . . . . just trying to make it to a commode before the unthinkable happens. . . . . .:toilet:

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hardly ever play micro cash anyway cuz this kind of stuff happens every time.
Every time man, every time.

My advice is to open fold AA to be on the safe side, and only play small SCs from now on. You only get into tricky spots with AA, which rarely improves post flop anyways. Those little disguised ninja SCs on the other hand, they are the bomb.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When your pocket aces are getting cracked, then you have to play KK instead.:)

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you just posted was very results oriented. You didn't know that villain was holding 99 until after the hand played out. Assume that villain's hand is hidden. What could he have that he might call a 3/4 pot bet on the turn with?

* He may have paired his ace: AK,AJ,AT
* He may have two clubs: tons of combos
* Some really bad villains might call with KJ or KQ/JQ-type hands
* He may have two pair or smaller sets: AQ,A8,A3,QQ,33,88 (he would probably raise your turn bet here then and you can then get stacks in)

By betting the turn, you maximize value from the hand if he is holding one of those hands, and can probably then get stacks in on the river easily if he is holding top pair. You also avoid giving him a free draw if he's holding two spades or KJ. If he's not holding one of the above hands, then you'd be hard pressed to get value out of any sort of river bet... like you said, most opponents would probably fold 99 to any sort of river bet on that board.
Your analysis for this hand is spot on for cash-game players. You guys live for the moment,and you have to be aggressive and go after all your opponents money.

I was in a deep stack tournament, since the blinds were low and there was very little pressure at this point, I saw it as an opportunity to try something fancy like induce a bluff on the turn or a re-raise on the river.

This hand had very little to do with the final outcome of the tournament.:)

Last edited:
blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every time man, every time.

My advice is to open fold AA to be on the safe side, and only play small SCs from now on. You only get into tricky spots with AA, which rarely improves post flop anyways. Those little disguised ninja SCs on the other hand, they are the bomb.

no need to be condescending. obviously im exaggerating how often it happens.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in any case posters went off the deep end here.

this post was about how confident pocket aces should be played when 5 players called. the only real answer i got was to b/f or c/f on the flop, with that connected board.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no need to be condescending. obviously im exaggerating how often it happens.
No need to be offended. Obviously I was only joking.

Since the flop went multi-way and you received significant action on such a coordinated board, you need to find a way to fold AA post flop. 1 pair is most likely not the best hand by the river, and sometimes not even on the flop, as you discovered.

AA normally wins. End of. Sometimes it doesn't. End of. Know when you're beat and fold.

I think some of the reason threads like these become a bit of a joke-fest is because these hands are not that important; it's all those other spots that are more tricky that need the attention and not, "how do I play AA?"

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in any case posters went off the deep end here.

this post was about how confident pocket aces should be played when 5 players called. the only real answer i got was to b/f or c/f on the flop, with that connected board.

Actually, I gave you another answer. Since you bought in for the minimum and are playing shortstacked, you basically need to open shove on the flop because of your stack size. Since the pot is so large relative to your remaining stack, it's either shove or fold. This is what playing shortstacked forces you to do -- play a shove or fold game.

You can't b/f on this board with your stack. If you bet, you commit your stack... and it's not that bad a thing considering straight draws and overpairs and possibly worse will call you.

If you are playing fully stacked, b/f becomes an option. Although since it's 4nl and you don't give any reads on opponents, I'd be more inclined to bet/shove on this flop if fully stacked as well because of the aforementioned possibility of straight draws, overpairs, and worse calling.

shuperstar

shuperstar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the most dangerous hands and one of the most controversial becasue you dont want to many callers, odds breaker.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I gave you another answer. Since you bought in for the minimum and are playing shortstacked, you basically need to open shove on the flop because of your stack size. Since the pot is so large relative to your remaining stack, it's either shove or fold. This is what playing shortstacked forces you to do -- play a shove or fold game.

You can't b/f on this board with your stack. If you bet, you commit your stack... and it's not that bad a thing considering straight draws and overpairs and possibly worse will call you.

If you are playing fully stacked, b/f becomes an option. Although since it's 4nl and you don't give any reads on opponents, I'd be more inclined to bet/shove on this flop if fully stacked as well because of the aforementioned possibility of straight draws, overpairs, and worse calling.

thats a good point too. when i think about it your 100% correct. shoving preflop here would have been the best move. likely more would have folded giving me better odds to win it.
but regardless it wasnt a good hand. i never thought i would get so many callers. i raised for value.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats a good point too. when i think about it your 100% correct. shoving preflop here would have been the best move. likely more would have folded giving me better odds to win it.
but regardless it wasnt a good hand. i never thought i would get so many callers. i raised for value.

Actually, I said and still think your preflop play was fine -- raising 5x bb from UTG+1 is fine if you are opening. I usually don't advocate open shoving anything preflop.... unless you have a strong reason to suspect you will get some callers. Catching 5-6 callers is kind of annoying because statistically you are less likely to win the hand... but in actuality it's kind of a good thing based on equity. With 5-6 callers, you win less often but you win more money when you do win, and you are still ahead of most calling ranges on the majority of flops.

Since you are playing shortstacked, you only have one potsize bet left on the flop, so the only two options really are to shove or check/fold the flop. Given the stakes and no reads on opponents, I'm more inclined to shove because you get called by a wide range, much of which you beat.