How to play pocket aces?

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have 80% equity when you're dealt rockets become comfortable knowing 1 in 5 time that you're dealt this hand you'll lose. Every time I see this hand I remind myself that I may have to fold this hand. If your going to bet the hand aggressively I'd make sure that you have a good deal of information on your opponents. Ranges, player types, habits for the position they're playing from. Going without any of this should lead you to bet for value and control the size of the pot. Checking either the flop, turn or river could really reduce the damage if you feel that villain is strong. General poker knowledge should allow you to gauge your opponents position an assess a good idea of their range. If the board runs out as poorly as possible and your put in a tight spot I would really suggest leaning towards folding

apeedgovi

apeedgovi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those, who play AA agressive pre flop, and then of course you need to look at the board as with any other hand really. If I happen to improve to trips, then I might slow down to get some raises, but of course if board isn't too scary.

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation, players and your chip stack. Most of the time you should play Aces aggressively never limp because if 2-3people enter the flop with you than you're in real trouble if you don't hit trips on the flop :). Never limp go aggressive and that would work. :)

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an open question

How to play the top pair available is really based on the game you are playing your stack size blinds etc positioning button and how your opponents are playing if you even care or not.

Its not a straight answer but many players go all in before the flop.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing i learned from playing poker for nine years...... Never, i mean never ever limp with pocket As.

D

Drefps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best case scenario with pocket aces is to go all in pre flop. This also depends on your position. If your first to act and u raise all in, chances r everyone will fold which is a crappy feeling because u didn’t get to play the rockets.
Best case is if someone else goes all in preflop and u call. To slow play pocket rockets there can’t be any flush/straight draws. But at the end of the day poker is poker, nothing is guaranteed.

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With pockets Aces I always go either half or all in.

bighert2

bighert2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many variables involved; cash game/tournament, effective stack sizes/ICM, any knowledge you have concerning other players, and so much more there is no "one" best way to play AA. How does the saying go? AA wins little pots and loses big pots.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play them as the best possible hand you can get

Deniskin89

Deniskin89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with pocket aces you can not always win. it all depends on luck)))

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I always play pocket AA's aggressive so not to
give the other players a cheap flop, if you get a
call and get sucked out, thats poker on line.

S

supasonicjungle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha just as i read this post i got pocket aces and lost ffs

S

supasonicjungle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i know and i was playing an omaha tourney so it threw me off even more

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am one of those who did not share the idea of ​​playing my pair of aces all in preflop, because with one hand like that the idea is to get the most out of your opponent, but in the last few weeks I lost with aces in at least 70% of the time, even strong player preflop. Since this is not working for me, I decided to play all in pre flop to see the results. It is assumed that you are winning pre flop with 80% but this has not happened to me in the last 3 weeks or so. If I know my opponents very well maybe they will not play all in but otherwise it will be like that. Good luck at the tables with your aces!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think this really depends on stack depth, you generally want to raise more the deeper you are and if you have like 8bbs why not limp them. But, no matter what the stack depth you want to maximize your value. And remember what Doyle Brunson used to say "aces are a great hand to win a small pot or lose a big one.

melodyman169

melodyman169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play AA agressive
if you let your opponent to see the flop and that flop isn't 'rainbow' with the identical cards then play it like a simple high pair.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a massive risk slow playing AA to the river unless you are of a level ..playing AA live to the river seems to work better than online i have noticed. Too many players online will play any piece of a flop to the bone but i certainly feel that playing aggressive with AA works better then allowing cheap peel off cards..i work mainly on the belief that i will make you pay to see my cards and also pay to take part in a pot with me..trapping is important but way overrated...good solid betting patterns and temperament is key.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My best advice: never slow play. There are very few occasions when you will benefit from slow playing just a pair. Aces are great, but at the end of the day they are still only a pair. My strategy is to build a big pot preflop and if you can get it all in then, go for it, because preflop you're automatically in the lead, if you get it all in and they suck out, oh well. Now post flop, play them just like top pair. C-bet, maybe bet the turn, but if they show a lot of strength and maybe raise or shove the river, always be prepared to fold.

CylleP

CylleP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that it is necessary to play aggressively with such cards.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing it very hard preflop is the key, because that is when you are ahead. You could be up against KK or QQ or AK and take the persons wholestack 80 percent of the time if you can coax an all in from them.
once you miss the flop, all you have is a high pair...
slow down!

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Statistically, as has been mentioned, AA is a favorite to win 80% of the time. Many folks in this thread are mentioning how much they lose with AA. I like to think in glass half full, so I thought we should reflect on how much we win! :icon_thum I challenge each of you to look at your own data (assuming you are collecting it) to get mathematical insight into what happens when you play AA. Post your findings so we can all learn.

In almost all cases I raised, played aggressively, with my AA there are a few times where I flatted an earlier 3bet and I honestly can't remember why. Note **the sample size is NOT large enough**... but it is what I have! :)

In 2018 in Cash Game $0.01/$0.02 with a sample size of only 11 hands. I am winning with AA ~90% of the time (exceeding the expected!). 54% of the hands I won preflop (so really small pots). The largest pot I won was $1.84 - which was bigger than the largest (only) pot I lost $1.44.

In 2018 in Tournaments (mostly freerolls) with a sample size of 91 hands. I am winning with AA ~89% of the time (better than expected). ~13% of the hands I won preflop (so small pots). The largest pot I won was 356BB - which was bigger than the largest pot I lost 84BB

This data seems in line with the AA 80% expected win. I think the most interesting stat in the simple comparison above is the amount of times the AA saw a flop. It seems that in tournament play my opponents are calling 3-4bets more frequently. Which brings up the question....

What type of game are you playing when your AA are getting consistently beat (cash or tournament)? Are AA more vulnerable in tournament play?

polote21

polote21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything depends on your position at the table and bets, if there is a raise limit to pay and see the flop

NevermoreSF1

NevermoreSF1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Statistically, as has been mentioned, AA is a favorite to win 80% of the time. Many folks in this thread are mentioning how much they lose with AA. I like to think in glass half full, so I thought we should reflect on how much we win! :icon_thum I challenge each of you to look at your own data (assuming you are collecting it) to get mathematical insight into what happens when you play AA. Post your findings so we can all learn.

In almost all cases I raised, played aggressively, with my AA there are a few times where I flatted an earlier 3bet and I honestly can't remember why. Note **the sample size is NOT large enough**... but it is what I have! :)

In 2018 in Cash Game $0.01/$0.02 with a sample size of only 11 hands. I am winning with AA ~90% of the time (exceeding the expected!). 54% of the hands I won preflop (so really small pots). The largest pot I won was $1.84 - which was bigger than the largest (only) pot I lost $1.44.

In 2018 in Tournaments (mostly Freerolls) with a sample size of 91 hands. I am winning with AA ~89% of the time (better than expected). ~13% of the hands I won preflop (so small pots). The largest pot I won was 356BB - which was bigger than the largest pot I lost 84BB

This data seems in line with the AA 80% expected win. I think the most interesting stat in the simple comparison above is the amount of times the AA saw a flop. It seems that in tournament play my opponents are calling 3-4bets more frequently. Which brings up the question....

What type of game are you playing when your AA are getting consistently beat (cash or tournament)? Are AA more vulnerable in tournament play?
This is a very detailed answer! I think that I will listen to this!

Crazymoney16

Crazymoney16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Aces are of high value on the pre-flop, on the following streets - according to the situation. Of course, always take into account the position, stage and specifics of the tournament.