How to play big pocket pairs?

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise/reraise/shove,but with too many players involved the % of winning decreased significantly.

Last edited:
MrEsprectro

MrEsprectro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends in what situation, but I would never fold AA, unless it was a satelitte and I was already 99% sure I would got a ticket if I fold. If it is early in a full table I would bet or raise if someone have made a bet before you. If it is late in a turbo tournament and the blinds are high, and someone bets, and you think he most likely would fold to a raise. Then you could flat call, and hope he cbet bluffs on the flop, so that you get more value. Most of the times I would make a big raise, but sometimes I like to play it tricky and try with the hand.

MrEsprectro

MrEsprectro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a full table and a player before you limps or bet small, you can flat call and hope that a player behind you goes for a squeeze. Aces are quite easy to play postflop, so you can play the hand in many ways, but the more players there are in the pot, the more chance there is for someone to hit a hand that beats your aces. Therefore you need to put some pressure to get most of the players to fold. You Don't want more than 2 players to call.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it is folded to me and it is a pair I want to open in the position I am in at the table I will play it exactly how I played any other hand I opened same raise, folding to any re-raise will depend on many many things like who re-raised, from what position, what pair I have and other considerations. If I make it to the flop I will play just like any other hand almost all 100% of the time. One of the few exceptions to that might be if I hit the set vs a bad hyper aggressive player (If it was a good hyper aggressive player I would play as any other hand).

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
And as for AA under normal circumstances I would never consider folding unless it is a satellite multi-table-tournament on the bubble and several players are all in at different tables and I am facing an all-in vs someone who has me covered on my table. I think I will fold my AA and let at least one of the other all-ins on the other table bust go collect my winning ticket and play the target tournament tyvm :)

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend on the buy in , so i'm always very agressive with big pokckets pair in the beggining of a tournament and less and less agressive when the buy in of the tournament decrease .
This is just to get no more than one oppenement see the flop, either i can be beaten easely with a speculative hand.

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's hard to fold AA preflop, just on some satelites near the ticket, :cool: otherwise close your eyes and shove even against 3-4 even 5 players, this is your ticket to final table :D

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easiest way to play is raise raise raise raise i guess :D Some players use it to trap but it's dangerous

D

diserg1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In each situation differently...how many players ...in what position -- what a tournament...

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like to shove with AA or KK unless I am short stacked in a tourney. I think there are way to many scenarios that you would be able to make more by not shoving. Just make sure you are still paying attention to what your opponent is doing so you can get away if you have to and not sit there thinking " oooo I have aces I have aces I have aces."

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to shove pre flop with this hand, but you really make few money if you do this. It's pretty much more interesting to see flop, and you might take much money if high card in something like a Q,J or 10.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are so many things which you have to weigh up before you make a decision to shove or not that each answer can be correct at certain times, as you can see above.

Your nervousness will be overcome in time, however to help it I suggest you read any book by David Sklansky, including the Theory of Poker. This will help. Gl with you learning. :
D:D:D

D

Doh123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do pretty much hehe
I would bet a house for that hand preflop ^^
But seriously I dont play games where are skilled players, so maybe they don't want risk and make sense

S

Sinhand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always 3x+1 at a tight table and hope for a 3bet. At a loose table in early position I like to 5x and 2.5x in late position and hope someone sees it as a weak steal and once again hope for the 3bet so I can get it in. On the flop of its a rainbow. I'll bet a little light. If there's any sort of draw make them pay for it. If it smells like top pair we're getting it in. Just remember your going to lose with your big pockets at least 20% of the time. Like everyone said it's all situational.

T

Thenextbigthing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not folding AA but if a lot of people called your all in like you stated it's no biggie you got it in good but yes with multiple callers your hand drops in equity because more players obviously means more cards that can come down and crack you but even with two to three all ins with AA your a favorite.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live fast, die young, make a nice corpse.

Saperion

Saperion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobady folds AA preflop, unless u playing satellite and u are close to the bubble, and u are already in the price position.

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also it depends on position. AA is usually limped by weak players from early positioins.
Having an aggro player behind it is a good play to limp AA at sb as well
actually it is the easiest descicion preflop with that hand. And takes time to learnd to fold it on a flop/turn etc

Cheesestick

Cheesestick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise/reraise/shove,but with too many players involved the % of winning decreased significantly.

That's a great point, i quit never looked at it that way!

I usually make a big raise depending on my position but after that I play pretty tight on the flop, turn and river. Probably has something to do with me being a cheep dutchie :D :D

G

guch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah w aces is easy reraise/shove pre . Probabably like being 5th last player to act i probably would fold aces. They pretty much dead if you any sort of broadways .

jgdesabato

jgdesabato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always 3x+1 at a tight table and hope for a 3bet. At a loose table in early position I like to 5x and 2.5x in late position and hope someone sees it as a weak steal and once again hope for the 3bet so I can get it in. On the flop of its a rainbow. I'll bet a little light. If there's any sort of draw make them pay for it. If it smells like top pair we're getting it in. Just remember your going to lose with your big pockets at least 20% of the time. Like everyone said it's all situational.
I agree with your opinion.

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on your position and your opponents
you can just call vs aggro opp with high PFR in VPIP
and get him pay
never limp AA KK
80% do reraise
balance with calls pre flop
learn to fold this hands after flop- is must learn #1

Saperion

Saperion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would play exactly the same way than this guy over here.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would play it like any other hand I play. If I have 10 to 12 BB's I'll shove it otherwise I will make my standard raise just like any other hand I play.