How to play A 10 offsuit pre-flop?

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really often raise with this hand, If there is a raise I call, and If it is a 3-bet i consider a fold, depends on stack size, position and so on :)

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can generalize how to play any specific hand.. but if I try anyway, I think ATo is quite tricky hand which some players tend to overrate. I usually open it when nobody did before me but can imagine lot of spots where I just openfold. In already opened spots, well, there's bunch of options really depending on actual situation at the table.

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is a strong hand in any posision, should do always raise and a reraise surely make you fold, although it is good to follow the instincts sometimes ... lol

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the position and movements of the past. If you have many who paid before making the call. If nobody has call, worth a raise

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i am under the gun i fold, if i am in middle position i raise 2.5bb. I call with that only if its cheap and in every situation i play it with a lot of caution not losing too much chips. My best advise is: Don´t overestimate that hand, it can easily be beaten.

IGotADonk

IGotADonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll raise in early position to see if anyone's serious about their hand and then, depending on how loose/tight the callers are, go from there. This is one of those hands that I'd rather pair the 10 with than the Ace; if an ace hits on the flop, you're probably first/maybe second to act and you have to c-bet and worry about kickers. So, don't play the hand out of position if you just sat down at the table. Late position, I'll limp in if there's not too many people in the hand. Otherwise fold and let the J7 BB take the pot when s/he flops two pair.

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that depend the position dictate the play i lake to play ATs late position i never limp so its fold or raise late position.

R

rrph3rtbkr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would fold if i am in early ,middle position , i would raise on cut off and button depend every body limp or fold to me , if some body raised before me i would fold definately

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally fold in early to mid position. And I almost always fold to reraises preflop. If you pair your ace, you show strength but you keep gettng called or raised, chances are you're behind.

Let's say the board is A8935. If villain has an ace too, he beats you if his second hole card is JQK8935. You only beat him if his 2nd card is 2467.

I'd rather play speculative hands like 45 suited if I feel like mixing it up.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People saying that you shouldnt even open with a10 out of postion, really? 70 percent of the time its the best hand preflop, thats ridiculous move. Always raise with a10 usually, the raise you usually do, in my case 2.5x. If they raise it to you, then call, if it gets 3 bet- call or fold. Usually fold but depends on the guy's range.

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play .02/.05 NL. How would you play it from the blinds, MP, LP? Fold, call, raise? Just curious what you generally do with this hand. Thank you.

I call that hand 'the hat' because it reminds me on the Joe ****er song and few of the words. 'Slow real slow' and 'you can leave your hat on'. :-D

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In early and middle position I usually go fold with AT offsuit, and in late position if nobody have made a raise before me, then I make a raise.
However, all of this depend of your opponents and position where you are.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People saying that you shouldnt even open with a10 out of postion, really? 70 percent of the time its the best hand preflop, thats ridiculous move. Always raise with a10 usually, the raise you usually do, in my case 2.5x. If they raise it to you, then call, if it gets 3 bet- call or fold. Usually fold but depends on the guy's range.

The point is that a hand like AT will lose you a lot of money if you think it is a strong hand.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I call that hand 'the hat' because it reminds me on the Joe ****er song and few of the words. 'Slow real slow' and 'you can leave your hat on'. :-D

I love censored words :D

on the topic, hand like this really could cause a lot of problems post flop... you hit an ace and do what with 10 kicker, you hit a 10 but you might easily facing overpair or overcard connects on later streets etc,
maybe at fishy limits where people calls with 2nd 3rd pair you can get away with it but otherwise, if it doesn't connect big with the flop im most probably folding it to a bet...

and yet we still see people shove a10o often... :confused:

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A10 depends on the number of blinds+position you have changes up exactly how so you'd play the hand.

A10 (10bb's EP)=SHOVE/FOLD
A10 (30-100bb's) EP=Fold
A10 (10bbs) from LP=Shove
A10 (30-100bbs) LP=raise 2.2x-2.7x (Some do 3)

Now again same thing for all the middle positions/also factor in how loose the table is? Take that into consideration when making a move with A10 from any position. As majority of looser players will call you, so you'll usually have a 60/40 flips, yet if a tighter player calls you than you're doomed so, I mean that's just my take on A10

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
oop its difficult- prime example of negative implied odds hand

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that limping is generally bad move with any card, especially A10. It's either raise or fold for me. I wouldn't play A10o out of the position, but if you're in position I'd always raise.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep promising myself that I won't play A,T, at least in EP.

Then I'll go for 20, 30, 40 minutes with absolute rubbish cards so when I get A,T it starts to look like the best hand in the world. Especially when you've seen the table maniac win 5 in a row with worse. Of course that's the one time he actually has AA.

I keep promising myself I won't chase gutshots too...................................:)

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep promising myself that I won't play A,T, at least in EP.

Then I'll go for 20, 30, 40 minutes with absolute rubbish cards so when I get A,T it starts to look like the best hand in the world. Especially when you've seen the table maniac win 5 in a row with worse. Of course that's the one time he actually has AA.

I keep promising myself I won't chase gutshots too...................................:)

all true, like i hear myself saying that, plus to add to that, call without good pot odds because i feel i gonna hit :banghead: