How to measure the level of my poker game.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who knows how I could self-evaluate myself to know at what level my poker game is, or in what things am I failing?

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your level is to learn how to play and not lose money in cash games and reach the prize money in tournaments. Then you will understand your strengths and weaknesses. Try to be profitable from the original bankroll within thirty days.

Aguimonteiro

Aguimonteiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that you may take some points into consideration:
How is your ROI?
How many spots are you in doubt, have you been reviewing your games to see where you can evolve?
Are you consistent in your games?

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
and a good question, I also have doubts how to self evaluate myself in poker!

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you look at old hand histories to see what hands are costing you the most?
Could be your overplaying and not folding AK enough, chasing flushes or straights, thinking big reraises are bluffs…
Learning where you lose money and fixing that leak is a big step. You should be able to save and view all hands on most all sites…it’s just about doing your homework to improve!

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The worst thing you could do is base it on the results on Cheat on Line, AKA Bet on Lies. They apparently don't use a random number generator. It seems like they track who has won recently and then scam them, imo. I just lost to A9 with AT and when I saw I was ahead, I knew I was screwed. It's shameless over there, player

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because average skill increases as you climb in stakes, the best measure of skill in my opinion is your bb/100 for cash and ROI for tournaments at the highest stake you're beating over a significant sample size.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
bankroll is usually a pretty good indicator. Keep in mind for MTT's you'd need to play quite a few before getting an accurate analysis of your ability.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could try running your MTT hands through a ICM tool like sngwiz or icmizer and see how many ICM errors you are making.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The size of your bankroll and its growth directly reflects your poker skills. Obviously, if your bankroll is growing steadily, then you have good enough skills and prospects.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think bankroll is a good index, and cash game is a good test method. :rolleyes:

blake2702

blake2702

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah id agree with that, bankroll is a very good indicator, if its growing happy days.

If it isn't then you need to work on your game

Simple

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in order to judge your game you should get some poker tracker programms. I haven't used them but I am planning to. You can see the hand you win with and lose with, stats etc. pretty useful thing I have to say...

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not too hard to calculate how good one is. I go by bankroll. Write my bankroll amount on the 1st of every month in a journal. When your bankroll increases to 100x entry fee, then you can afford to move to the next higher level of real money play.

I would also keep track of hours played, because I would only let myself enter tourneys that let me average winning a minimum of $1 an hour. If I am winning 23 cents for 3 hours of effort, I would rather spend my time watching paint dry or the grass grow.

I would occasionally take my hours played in a month divided by the amount my bankroll went up that month to determine how much I am making per hour of play.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, our ability to be able to analyze our own mistakes and learn from them is very important. Try to analyze your decisions during the game, especially erroneous decisions and this will allow you to significantly improve your game.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think only a better player than you and preferable a coach will do the job right.
He can analyze your database and seek for the stats you should fix in your game for example '' too low turn cbet'' etc..

Some players may be crushing the micro - low limits but if they want to move up they must do that type or session with a coach IMO.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am not sure there is an easy way to show how good we are especially in the short term. We can look at ROI and see if we are winning or loosing but it take a lot of volume to really know how your doing. In cash 20 or 30 thousand hand give you a lot of info but not enough to really determan. Tournaments, 200 is nice but the same problem. Not enough volume. This will give you and Idea but poker is a long term game. Look at charts of really good Pro's.

You will see top pros having 50 to 75K hands and not really winning money and even loosing then go on the roll. Tournament the same thing. Great players loosing before a few wins hit them. I was watch a video the other day of Danial Negranue winning his 1st tournament in like 3 years. His next win was even longer to from achieve. 2013 to 2021. Yep, 7+ years.

Probably the best you can do is ask player's you respect. If they think your good you probably are.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to the general EV, according to the average ROI. and your profit, of course.

C

Carlo35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at partypoker you have my game..you have levels there that shows you how good you are

melaniaaachen

melaniaaachen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always rate my skills by the number of wins

Top 10 Games