How many table can you play at once effectively?

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read some posts with people saying they play a ridiculous amount of tables at the same time (16-40). If you play more than let's say four tables at once can you really still pay attention to the details of the game?

For example noticing position, analyzing villains patterns, range, stacksizes, pot odds versus draw odds, betting that was done on previous streets, and all the other factors that should determine how you play the hand?

Or do people that play a lot of tables at once just wait for AA, KK, AK and just bet-bet-bet?

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, it's very hard to pay much attention to your opponents and remember previous streets when you're playing more than 4 tables. Everything else you mentioned, like thinking about pot odds versus draw odds, can still be done because those who play 4 or more tables are probably very experienced players who can do that quickly. Also, you have to take into account that if you're playing 5 tables, you're mostly playing effectively only 2 at a time, because you folded in the other 3 (for 9 max tables at least).

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a lot of tables usually involves: an extreme familiarity with the other regs (involving studying them away from the tables), a great HUD, a minimalist but useful note taking/color tagging feature, and a setup (both using software and the physical setup—ie desk type, mouse) all being as optimized as possible.

That being said, mass multi-tabling def is an intentional trade off—a lower overall ROI is the trade off for a higher hourly. Of course this is easy to overshoot and actually damage your ROI to the point that your hourly is lower even with more effort! But done correctly, adding tables very slowly over time and with much attention to detail, it can be extremely important in terms of maximizing how much money we can expect to make in the long run :)

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far 2, but if important I try only one, even though it`s boring, but most effective

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only two at the moment
But trying too increase it slowly

KizherXVII

KizherXVII

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually play 2 no need to play more than that

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I play tournaments, so I like one table mostly. But I play 2 tables sometime, no more.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mass multi-tabling was much easier in the past when games were soft enough and volume high enough that you could load a large number of tables and beat them with a fairly mechanical strategy.

Today, there are definitely players like Katie who can still get away with this and do very well :) But for most players, building up to 6-8 tables is a very solid accomplishment (and lower is fine too of course!)

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion the most effective is one, then you can play the ones you want more if you are supported with programs like hud, pokertraker ....

igroksash

igroksash

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, 2 tables for the game are comfortable to play.

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can easily play effectively at 5-6 tables, the main thing is that no one distracts or interferes, it is better to play alone.

S

suehtam05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not good at multi table. I play no more than 3 or i make many mistakes

C

campp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately? Zero lol. Overall I’ll try to do no more than three.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can play four games without losing quality !!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I can play 6 at a time but there is a drop off in my play. I will only play this many at a time when its early of there is just an overlap of a very late game IE final table and a new one just starting that I can just play fit and fold the 1st few levels. I normally dont play more that 2 at a time as there is a bigger drop off after that. I want to play the best poker I can and improve my game every day and after 2 tables you start to miss a lot of thinks that can cost you in the end.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 3 tables, but I can sometimes move up to 4 tables if the action is slow enough and I am getting bored to stop me from playing all loosey-goosey.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
It was successful to play simultaneously, only at two tables. A large number of open tables begins to distract from details, which leads to a drop in attentiveness and correctness of the chosen decisions:)

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I play up to 8 very quiet tables!

Iddm

Iddm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read some posts with people saying they play a ridiculous amount of tables at the same time (16-40). If you play more than let's say four tables at once can you really still pay attention to the details of the game?

For example noticing position, analyzing villains patterns, range, stacksizes, pot odds versus draw odds, betting that was done on previous streets, and all the other factors that should determine how you play the hand?

Or do people that play a lot of tables at once just wait for AA, KK, AK and just bet-bet-bet?

I can only play 2 tables if I'm also doing crypto trading... I tryed 3 and it was a madness!
Windows poping up all the time and I trying to set/draw the lines right in the graphs to set my positions and windows keeping poping up... my mom calling me all the time... dogs barking... not cool...
2 tables and trade less my mom calling and dogs annoying is the maximum for me!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The biggest key for being able to multi table effectively is having a HUD (heads up display) program like Pokertracker. These programs will track the hands for you so that you can have a pretty good read on how your opponents play by glancing at the statistics.

Before HUDs exists the most games I would ever play was 4, and I usually spent more time playing 1 or 2 tables so I could really pay attention and take notes on my opponents.

Once HUDs became a thing and I learned how to build an effective one I was able to play up to 8 Shorthanded Cash Tables no problem or 12 Full Ring Tables.

Having the right stats and color coding the hud so it's easier to read makes a big difference. Here's a video on how I set mine up for cash games (maybe it will give some inspiration).

also on the specific topic of multitabling, I have a nice video I made with some tips on how to add more tables, signs you are playing too many tables, and how to find the sweet spot.

I hope you'll find some good lessons in these videos (and in the rest of the thread, as we have some great posts in here!)

Good Luck & Happy Stackin'

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only concentrate to play at 1 table. Any more tables I lose focus.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love being focused on everything at the table and that means one at a time. I've played 2 tables simultaneously a few times when two CardsChat events overlapped, but that is the most I've ever tried. I did all right with it, but I'm sure a good HUD is crucial to multi-tabling and I currently play without a HUD lol

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The effectiveness of playing at several tables depends on several factors, the player must be rested, other factors must not interfere, these are family members, animals and the player must be sober, then it is quite possible to play at 5-6 tables.

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think up to 8 tables can be played effectively.