How do you play JJ pre flop??

Rocky87345

Rocky87345

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ preflop

Only 2 options preflop for me. All in or limp call. I dont like a small raise preflpo bc in my experience the flop will usually include an over card 75% of the time If I go all in and am called by a player with a higher pair, I will just attribute it to bad luck.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually raise, sometimes fold or 3bet... it all depends what position I fave, action before my decision, players, stack, phase of tournament :)

Put here some action and we will tell You what we would do

R

raymondzav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
many ways, slow play is one, big bet preflop depending your stack. but I would not shove if anyone else has you cover in chips is a risk to gamble and loose it all.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how do i play JJ pre flop? ...what is my position at the table? is there any pre flop action before i have to make a decision?

1my

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends what position at the table u have if u are holding JJ.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just 3bet or 4bet like you normaly play strong hand pre.everything depends the action between us and villain on the floop.turn and river. but with poker pair im sugest to always bet.never slow play JJ etc.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That depends a lot on how you come in the tournament with your stock of chips, the position .. in a good position I always do 3bet or call when I raise before and try to avoid going all in before the risk of being dominated. In case of being short of chips in the tournament ... all in haha

escurimX

escurimX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
increase, because it's already a pair in the hand
You are already strong in the pot, depending on the flop

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every seat can change your raise ...from big blind or from HJ....but i always raise them .Its a good hand not very strong but strong enough for a heads up or three way.

I

ikerman88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think JJ is a good hand to do a raise, if you are very short you can go all-in.

Alex Houngan

Alex Houngan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm open a raise 2,5bb but is very important your position. If there is a re-raise - call.It is more interesting how to play later flop.

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation, in most cases 3-BET.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, it depends the size of tour Chips, if you are in position, how many player are in the game at the moment. But i prefer do a small raise 100% tto put away cold callers.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your opinion, guys. I confess that I consider this hand ungrateful but it is always good I came with a high pair...

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a good game with jacks you need to understand how your opponents play.
My opinion about the game pre-flop with JJ:
- in the early position - make a call at an aggressive table and raise in a tight table;
- in the middle and late position - raise;
- if there is a reraise - fold.

In early position what ARE you raising with? If you are not raising with JJ, your early position raises are very exploitable!

Reraise fold? really, You HAVE to have some calls in there sometimes. Position, Players, and table play will dictate a lot! But I think to say just flat fold is wrong.

Edit: this is a cash game reply

gotace503

gotace503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise and raise and then fold when he goes all in

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes depends on position and opponents. If on the blinds I usually just shove against loose late position raisers. Very difficult to play jj being oop. So it's
(I am talking about cash)

Nikka18

Nikka18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it is according to my mood. Sometimes I feel all wild so I just play and bet crazy.
But when I'm serious and attentive, I usually raise. But you need to be cautious of the position that you're in as well.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make sure to 3-bet to know if I am the biggest pair post flop. Jacks are actually pocket 11's and they are statistically not a big pocket pair although they sure look like a "big" pocket pair,whatever big means. I hate calling down 3 streets of value to figure out I was crushed pre. The hand is vulnerable post flop as there are 16/52 cards that make your jacks crushed to 8%. Jacks are hence soo difficult to play. They are a mid pair to be used as an over pair trap.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How dou you play JJ pre flop??
I think with the way you worded the question, you will mostly get an answer of "It depends." Some people responding may be thinking of different situations; a tournament, a freeroll tournament, cash game, pot limit, heads-up sit n go, etc. Personally I first thought about my strategy for NLHE cash games and began to write. But I decided to look at the comments and it seems that several people are maybe talking about a NLHE freeroll tournament? I think it might be more productive to give a little bit more of a scenario, ask about a specific hand you played or maybe be a little more specific in some way. Having said that, I still think some of the answers are interesting. :playingba

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In early position what ARE you raising with? If you are not raising with JJ, your early position raises are very exploitable!

Reraise fold? really, You HAVE to have some calls in there sometimes. Position, Players, and table play will dictate a lot! But I think to say just flat fold is wrong.

Edit: this is a cash game reply

To avoid difficult situations with JJ in early positions, I try to play them as small pocket pairs. This overall strategy for MTT is 9 (10) -max. In cash games, SnG and tournaments 6-max strategy will be different.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ, any action pf is possible, but it depends (relative) stack, game, players, position.
examples:

- short stacked: all-in
- 100BB stack: 3bet
- 15BB on the bubble, 2 raises before: fold

J

JustSoPro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ, any action pf is possible, but it depends (relative) stack, game, players, position.
examples:

- short stacked: all-in
- 100BB stack: 3bet
- 15BB on the bubble, 2 raises before: fold

I am glad you mentioned fold on the bubble, too many people get attached to their hands on the bubble and lose to a coin-flip (either because defending a BB or they tried to steal and got 3-bet).

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what position you are on and how they are playing.
Most often, I usually play it as the other between couples.