How do you handle the psychological pressure in high-stakes games?

zpedrao

zpedrao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I have difficulty reasoning when the table is too high.

Babale007

Babale007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AL
Chips
Because you are scared of losing your chips, in that case your money. I think you fear it, even if you have the best hand. Do not give a damn fella. Just feel the moment, do not think of what will happen.
I will give an advice fella. If you are going to walk and play poker in a table, sit there knowing that your money are lost. What will happen after, it's your adventure.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
This is a struggle of poker everyone wants to win a big pile of money so they play higher then their ability, mental toughness and thinking allows them when it comes to functioning in the moment as Babale007 alludes to above. Instead they freeze sort a speak and let the moment overcome them. Nothing to be ashamed we've all done that and gone threw it.

Also a common mistake is not adjusting ones style and mentally when moving between stakes or playing higher. The higher one plays in stakes the deeper he needs to be able to think and play the game. When I say "deeper" I'm NOT talking chip stack. The exploits also change the higher one plays in stakes. Making the correct adjusts and thinking of the right level for the stakes one plays is a consist struggle for the human mind because the human mind gets into habits and patterns. Which is hard to adjust on the fly/between stakes for human beings.

Not being able to adjust can cost one a lot of money and his whole bankroll.

Cheers!!!

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My thoughts on this is if you can't afford to lose your nickel don't sit down it's not that puzzling or just go with the old saying "know your limit play within it" and you should be good.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have a strategy that is infallible: I don't play high stakes. hahahaha
Seriously man, you should only play at levels that are comfortable for your bankroll. This is a basic principle of bankroll management

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Hello, I only put chips into poker. I have to admit that I handle pressure poorly because not long ago I tilted and broke a table when I lost in a tournament that was quite important to me

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Generally, I avoid stakes where I don't feel comfortable. Occasionally, I'll get to a $100 or $200 buy in (for me, that's high stakes!)... And generally, I just play relatively tight and then feel sick when someone three-bets my Jacks.

But realistically, you need to play more volume. Nothing takes away the anxiety more than having been in the same spot 1000 times.
But generally, make sure those stakes are within your bankroll management... I suspect they're not, if you're feeling uncomfortable.

There are lots of mindfulness exercises you can do to keep calm and rational.
Taking good notes on your opponents can help you to make better decisions which helps with anxiety.
Playing tight and from in position is helpful.
Getting your bet sizing appropriate will also help,

But generally, anxiety over stakes is related to being at the wrong stake level (ie playing outside of BRM or simply punching above your weight and winning sattie tickets. If that's the case, stop worrying about results and concentrate on making good decisions.

remember, being results oriented will make you a poorer player in the long run. Focus on making the correct plays at the correct time against the correct opponents from the correct position...and don't forget to get the correct flop, turn and river!

best of luck.
JT

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also have the same problem, I only play high bets when I win a ticket, I don't feel comfortable with this type of bet.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Many can have these moments of panic/fear when they don't know what is better, to accept the opponent's bet and lose half of their pot with a middle hand, or to wait a few more hands and hope that they will get better cards. Or I'd rather draw cards and maybe get into the prize.
You just have to accept the fact that it is not possible to always win all hands. Poker, like any other game, has an unexpected moment (river), luck and psychoanalysis of players.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think psychological pressure is a very difficult thing that affects us all in poker and in life in general. It is very difficult to control your negative thoughts. That sometimes destroys you inside.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me to play high stakes it means that I sattied into a big tourney, so I just try to enjoy it and play my best game.

Blumoon888

Blumoon888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I agree with the guys. Just play with stakes your not afraid to lose! I find playing for fun is the best and if you win.. Bonus😊😊
Good luck

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker without risk, it's not poker, play without fear, the good thing is to take risks, win or lose is part of the game

O

Oliverromero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BO
Chips
Just focus and enjoy the game, remembre is a game.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to play like I always do, but I also think it's difficult. I really don't know why I get nervous since I didn't invested any money to play, because I only play high buy in tournaments when I win tickets through satellites or when I win free tickets in a tournament.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is to enjoy the tournament and poker in general, the results are always in the long term and should not be frustrated by a couple of hands that did not go as you wished.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me, risk is necessary.
Fear is the beginning of loss.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Since I prefer to play tourneys, I don't loose my mind, it helps when you see "fake" chips instead of your actual dollars beeing bet.

H

happywheels

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VN
Chips
poppy playtime I'm happy to chat on your blog, and it seems like I should be looking forward to more dependable content. I believe that all of us would like to thank you for sharing so many fantastic articles and blogs with us.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I generally don't play high stakes. I have won a handful of $250/$215/$109 tickets but failed to cash in any of them :-(.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Playing your hand always to the best of your ability, bad beats are part of the variance.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games