How do you feel when you fold pre-flop - and then the flop would have been the nuts?

R

radiation

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its said in the second post. I always think that the fold was still alright. Cause why folding your hand if you would love the play it? .!folding the hand is the choice and decision the hand is not worth the money to play. When seeing the nuts thats still a good fold. In 1 of 10000 hands you might get the nuts but the rest you will spend money and loose

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read somewhere that it is better to play well and lose than play poorly and win. I think I agree with that. seeing your cards on the board after a fold happens all the time, but make the right calls consistently and you will come out ahead.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually happens when I fold 72. I feel a slight pain, but most often the two pair (77 22) that I would have had ends up being beaten anyway.

More of a pain when I fold a more reasonable hand (e.g., KTo, that would have made a straight) because of position, proximity to the bubble, or size of pre-flop bet. But, I'm usually confident that I made the correct decision with the information that I had at the time.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't worry about this. What is folded, that is folded. If i still remember my cards I just watch other players what they have or trying to pretend they have :D

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flopping the nuts after you fold will make most players go on tilt. It is best to forget all about it and move on, or else you are going to make bad decisions on the next few hands.

wuffeli

wuffeli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You eventually begin to not even care about it when you have more experience and games behind. It is just part of poker, just like bad beats etc.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys!What do you feel,when you fold cards,but in the flop see nuts?

Same way I feel when I fold that exact same hand that misses. I move on the second I fold pre-flop. No second guesses, no could haves or would haves. Hand is gone, next hand please.

LX4

LX4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It only really bugs me when i see something like ace high and king high raising each other. That and a few consecutive hands where my folded trash comes out on top. Really important to stay within yourself when that happens. I kinda wish the folded cards online would no longer be visible. When i get crap in live games it barely registers before tossing them and i can't be sure if i definitely would have otherwise hit something big after the flop. That bit of immediately forgetting is a saving grace that makes it easier to not tilt.

M

MadPanic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't usually mind. I'd rather miss the nuts once in a while than hit with junk and get outdrawn consistently.

I does p me off a bit tho when I fold a low suited connector from early position to find out it would have been a cheap flop and I hit a full house. But in the long run (from what I've studied) it usually doesn't pay to waste chips like that..

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Smile ruefully and cary on. You made the right decision to fold, stick with it.The number of times this happens is very small compared to the times you don't hit a hand.

Drewha

Drewha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear the whistle of a departing train, to which I was late one day.
When this is repeated often, I open the settings menu and turn off the display of the discarded cards. No pain - go play.

LX4

LX4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear the whistle of a departing train, to which I was late one day.
When this is repeated often, I open the settings menu and turn off the display of the discarded cards. No pain - go play.

Ah - unaware of those settings. I will definitely take advantage of that.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
n this situation, I always think Oh I would have won all,it is a offensively and funny,sometimes even kind of kills the mood for the game!

Royal_074

Royal_074

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It make me sadly smile... because as a rule these cards were 2J or 2 9...

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys!What do you feel,when you fold cards,but in the flop see nuts?
For those who have played enough to recognize good and bad positions combined with good and bad hole cards it has zero affect. They know that for every good flop for bad cards that hundreds or thousands of losing hands are possible.

Playing the bad situations will drain your bankroll faster than any other. Leave the bad beats to the fish. They are the ones playing bad hole cards.

Shalarin

Shalarin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I think about the fold. Maybe I was playing to tight ? The other players made me being afraid because of their aggressiv gameplay ? But I closely never regret my decision.

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that it has been acted correctly, in most cases nats would not have been

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they were bad cards then I dont feel bad folding as it would be the correct call often

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't care about it if I know I made the right fold preflop.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
well It happens all the time, but If I play every hand I will loose more than expected,
so just dont pay much attention since as soon as I Fold I am into the next hand. :)

AshK44

AshK44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that the memory of folding preflop is a lot better when you flop and would’ve had an awesome hand compared to the times you fold and you made the right choice. We just remember the times we feel cheated lol. It’s the same when you go all in with AA or a monster and lose to a 56 or something like that. It’s all part of the game my friend [emoji4]

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case, I'm not a telepath and I can not predict the flop. I have only a sad smile on my face ... This usually happens with weak pocket cards and hardly anything can be done.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well as the song goes- Any hands a winner and any hands a loser and the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep :)

Wgorham

Wgorham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first it drove me nuts. But as my game has improved I have learned those are the hands that keep the less skilled players in the game.

Jamesuri

Jamesuri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first few months I slapped table, cursing, but after awhile I realized most of the time i didnt hit the flop, that was my decision and i am okay with it :)

Folding in Poker