How do I recover from a loosing streak? Re-Focus

Future_Pr00F

Future_Pr00F

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, im new here....

So i can normally make some money every now and again by playing freerolls and then playing with the few dollars won from these but

Lately I just cant seem to get a bankroll up,

I build a cash game balance up then always seem to loose it often by getting it in best and having a bad card run out or by committing to a badly timed bluff.

My tournament game which is where i have done best in the past is now terrible.
i consider finishing outside the top 10% off players a bad game but i cant even make it near the money let alone a deep run/ final table!

how do I re-focus myself and adjust to start winning again?

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Spend some time away from the table looking at hands you might have played better. You can post hands for input on the forum. Not sure what the bankroll was verse the buyins. Lot easier to deposit with a code for incentive, when you confortable with you're game.

Before you deposit, take a look at bank roll management. Better luck at the tables.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I build a cash game balance up then always seem to loose it often by getting it in best and having a bad card run out or by committing to a badly timed bluff.
My advice - forget everything you've learned about when to get it all in and when not to.

Most all-ins are flips or worse (usually worse), ESPECIALLY in freerolls and low stake games. That means 50:50, plus or minus (usually minus). That means you're gambling plain and simple. NOT playing poker.

Stay out of the high stakes hands. If you fold your AK, AJs, TT to a pre-flop shove often enough the other players will realize they're not going to be able to suck you in to a game of craps. You'll force them to play their long game where they will lose more often than not.

(Q) How often do you see AK, AJs or TT lose to AA when the money goes all-in pref-flop?
(A) A lot!

(Q) How often does KK lose to 99 when the money goes all-in pre-flop? Be honest.
(A) Despite what your gut tells you, it's only one in five times.

Last edited:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice - forget everything you've learned about when to get it all in and when not to.

Most all-ins are flips or worse (usually worse), ESPECIALLY in freerolls and low stake games. That means 50:50, plus or minus (usually minus). That means you're gambling plain and simple. NOT playing poker.

Stay out of the high stakes hands. If you fold your AK, AJs, TT to a pre-flop shove often enough the other players will realize they're not going to be able to suck you in to a game of craps. You'll force them to play their long game where they will lose more often than not.

(Q) How often do you see AK, AJs or TT lose to AA when the money goes all-in pref-flop?
(A) A lot!

(Q) How often does KK lose to 99 when the money goes all-in pre-flop? Be honest.
(A) Despite what your gut tells you, it's only one in five times.
So in conclusion, your best bet is to wait till you've got them just where you want them before getting it all in:

d44fa429af9a2c981040c1c4763a144e.png

Then lose in style:

08b0653b81fc5f4931d07da014af1277.png

... happy in the knowledge that you outplayed them.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Stay away time breathes fresh air tables analyze your game history and identifies faults .... that studies and comeback gogogog

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I usually do is take a break and try to re-visit all the odds. I try to understand all the All-in odds better so I can prepare myself for next time. Some of the professionals have told me to take breaks by learning other games, like omaha and stud for example. The game takes a life time to master so maybe you should keep learning.

Future_Pr00F

Future_Pr00F

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to everyone who replied,,,,

Seems I need to spend some time evaluating my hands and take a look at my game from the ground up.

It will be interesting reviewing hands, as its something I have never done before even though I knew it possible.

Some solid advice from all, which thinking about it now is so obvious but being stuck in a poker rut was just leaving me frustrated and unsure what to do.

Glad I signed up to the forum as im new to this forum stuff too but I feel its given me some new hope! :)

GL to all on the tables ,,

everyday's a poker school day

Future_Pr00F

Future_Pr00F

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then lose in style:
This is the sort of thing that happens to me constantly at the moment,
I will take the suggested break and study time as advised by all and then maybe I can look back with humour to.

Thanks

Last edited:
TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Step away from the tables and get into the poker lab and start studying. Do a hand history review with someone better than you and look for leaks/plug them. Do a database analyst to pickup on some player pool tendencies that you can exploit.

Invest in yourself, if you want to get better. Everyone goes through variance, but good winning players are able to deal with and get through this stretch much better than others.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my experience it seems taking a break is the only way to get out of a downswing..

Whenever I've tried to play through them thinking 'it has to turn around eventually' they just extend on and on...

As my mind state continually gets the **** kicked out of it by ever more frequent and ridiculous situations, the problem just gets worse.

You can't dig yourself out of a hole they say!

Future_Pr00F

Future_Pr00F

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do a database analyst to pickup on some player pool tendencies that you can exploit.

I dont mean to sound simple but can you explain how to /what is (database analyst)+(player pool tendencies)

how would I check/use this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that for mind there is not much difference between playing the game and analyzing it - it won't rest this way, then the only real help is to stop doing it for a while.
If you still want to play, play something diffrent like Omaha instead of Texas.
Atfter some break you can return to analyzing the history and start playing again.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To get started, learn the correct game at a poker school, then grind out your skills at the table.
You will succeed, good luck at the poker tables :)))